U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Location: West of Louisiana, East of New Mexico
2,650 posts, read 2,262,970 times
Reputation: 6123

Advertisements

Ah...that good ole' institutionalized racism!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 969 times
Reputation: 10
does anyone know what the school enrollment numbers are like in regard to transplants ? In our school district we have a lot in kids hat start the year here but go back to CHI, MN,KC or STL it is always in flux so I would think a 10 year census would always be wrong where as a yearly school enrollment would give better indication of influx.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
 
55,269 posts, read 49,404,305 times
Reputation: 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolframajax View Post
does anyone know what the school enrollment numbers are like in regard to transplants ? In our school district we have a lot in kids hat start the year here but go back to CHI, MN,KC or STL it is always in flux so I would think a 10 year census would always be wrong where as a yearly school enrollment would give better indication of influx.
I never thought about that before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 12:05 AM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 8,001,234 times
Reputation: 2043
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs View Post
When you live in a section 8 apartment, and pay no rent, when you get so many thousands a year for popping out kids, when you get WIC money to buy them food, when you get welfare money, when you get food stamps, they have plenty of money to buy a car. I mean hell, they have no bills, the tax payers take care of that. I see plenty of "low income" people here driving cars with rims, and buying new york strip steaks and shrimp with their EBT food stamp cards, while talking on their 300 dollar cell phones, wearing air Jordan 150 dollar shoes.
This is ridiclous. The system doesn't actually work that way. You're must not be very smart if you think it does. A person can only collect welfare for so many years. You have to get a job or you're cut off. And I guess you're one of those people who gets mad when poor people are eating something other than Romen noodles, huh? If anyone is draining our society, it's the idiocy, ignorance and cruelty of people like you. Read a book. The most a single person can ever get on a Link card is 200 dollars a month. How far do you really think 200 bucks goes? Why do YOU deserve to be anything other than society's bottom feeder when you have no brain or heart? Your idiocy and cruelty is a drain on our society.

If being poor is so awsome, why don't you do it? Quit your job and sign up for welfare. It's not like I'd want a brainless and heartless person like you for a doctor, accountant, veterinarian, bank teller or waiter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 05:29 PM
 
1,922 posts, read 1,572,440 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's stupid in any culture. However, I notice when White guys do it, it isn't treated with the same scrutiny as Blacks doing that same trend. That is at least what I see in my experiences.

And I would consider the rest of what I wrote.
It would be just as ridiculous for people of any race to do it. I haven't yet seen any white guys with their pants sagging. I hope I never do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 PM
 
11,191 posts, read 14,069,047 times
Reputation: 6795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
It would be just as ridiculous for people of any race to do it. I haven't yet seen any white guys with their pants sagging. I hope I never do.
Strange, I see it often. Especially on TV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM
 
55,269 posts, read 49,404,305 times
Reputation: 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Strange, I see it often. Especially on TV.
I have seen it in real life too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 07:43 AM
 
55,269 posts, read 49,404,305 times
Reputation: 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
It would be just as ridiculous for people of any race to do it. I haven't yet seen any white guys with their pants sagging. I hope I never do.
I have seen people of other races do it, White, Hispanic, and Asian. I've seen it. I understand it's ridiculous for anyone to do it. What I'm saying is that on the occasion that both Blacks and White do it, the perceptions are different. When a White person does it, the reaction I normally see is is

1)Rolling of the eyes and the "how trashy" kind of comment.

When a Black person does it, it is looked at much worse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 AM
 
5,239 posts, read 7,094,369 times
Reputation: 11356
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have seen people of other races do it, White, Hispanic, and Asian. I've seen it. I understand it's ridiculous for anyone to do it. What I'm saying is that on the occasion that both Blacks and White do it, the perceptions are different. When a White person does it, the reaction I normally see is is

1)Rolling of the eyes and the "how trashy" kind of comment.

When a Black person does it, it is looked at much worse.
I think it can be taken as a sign of possible gang affiliations when worn by young Hispanic or black males. Or possibly the want to be types or those emulating their favorite rapper. That's why it may get a bit different response.

From the Chicago PD website, "Gang clothing styles can be easily detected because of the specific way gang members wear their clothing. Examples are preferences for wearing baggy or "sagging" pants, or having baseball caps turned at an angle. Gang members often prefer particular brands of shoes, pants or shirts. For example, some gangs like to wear plaid shirts in either blue, brown, black or red. These shirts are worn loosely and un-tucked from the pants".

Why someone followed you around the store when dressed in a suit, well you just happened to find a random idiot clerk. Lots of fools about and they come in all shades and sizes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 12:13 PM
 
55,269 posts, read 49,404,305 times
Reputation: 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I think it can be taken as a sign of possible gang affiliations when worn by young Hispanic or black males. Or possibly the want to be types or those emulating their favorite rapper. That's why it may get a bit different response.

From the Chicago PD website, "Gang clothing styles can be easily detected because of the specific way gang members wear their clothing. Examples are preferences for wearing baggy or "sagging" pants, or having baseball caps turned at an angle. Gang members often prefer particular brands of shoes, pants or shirts. For example, some gangs like to wear plaid shirts in either blue, brown, black or red. These shirts are worn loosely and un-tucked from the pants".

Why someone followed you around the store when dressed in a suit, well you just happened to find a random idiot clerk. Lots of fools about and they come in all shades and sizes.
Still, this is how I look at it. There ought to be a standard for everyone and everyone treated to the same standard when it comes to dress. Most people I know who wear baggy clothes do that to emulate rappers. And "gang clothing styles" that you mention, so many non-gang members dress like that you can't really tell who is in a gang and who isn't, because it has become such a fashion statement. Is it a stupid fashion statement? Yes it is. However, it's hard to tell just from clothes alone because of the popularity of such clothes.

That day when I got followed around, I was literally the only person getting followed around, no one else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top