U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:20 PM

11,333 posts, read 14,078,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have seen it in real life too.
I have as well, sorry I wasn't clear about that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 12:22 PM

55,521 posts, read 49,473,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have as well, sorry I wasn't clear about that.
I was just agreeing with what you said, and adding on more. No worries.

I will say this. Whether or not the persons(of any race) wearing such clothes, it's hard to tell because so many young people wear such clothes as a fashion statement.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM

11,333 posts, read 14,078,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was just agreeing with what you said, and adding on more. No worries.

I will say this. Whether or not the persons(of any race) wearing such clothes, it's hard to tell because so many young people wear such clothes as a fashion statement.
Yep, oddly it seems like suburban whites are more likely too wear pants like that than anyone.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM

25 posts, read 36,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
It would be just as ridiculous for people of any race to do it. I haven't yet seen any white guys with their pants sagging. I hope I never do.
Come to Cedar Rapids and I can show you plenty of white guys with the sagging pants. Come to Swisher and I can show you them as they pull up in their BMWs and Audi's to their 7 bedroom McMansions. Highly amusing.
Where do you live, I wonder...or do you just not leave your house?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 AM

5,239 posts, read 7,097,456 times
"There ought to be a standard for everyone and everyone treated to the same standard when it comes to dress".

But people have always made snap judgements and probably always will at least to some degree. Remember how hippies were viewed, or those that wore black leather motor cycle jackets, or those that went in for the punk look, or the dude in that really loud sports jacket, or the conservative guy with the short hair in the expensive 3 piece suit and driving that nice car? That guy could have been out of a job and the bank ready to take his car and house, his wife gone, his life crumbled. Still the one looking on and judging might say, look at that lucky guy making the big bucks, I wish I was him. It happens all the time, people judge based on clothes, looks, car and address. Treatment can be different too depending on ones attire. I noticed when I was dressed up nice, suit and all that, I was treated better in retail stores than when in typical jeans and t-shirt. In regards to the droopy drawers style, if you dress like a gangster type you risk being looked at in that vein. Particularly if loud and acting out in public. Many realize it's a style, stupid as hell, but still sheep gotta follow. I'm surprised the style has stayed around so long. Something I think is far worse regarding long term effects is how young girls are all copying the slutty dress code of the celebrities. They even market to tweens. There is no class left at all.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,798,791 times
I was a "job coach" for a brief time (volunteer work).

There was a young lady who was doing very well in her college accounting classes, plus she had a real gift for numbers and complex stock market graphs, but that was also back in the Goth era, and she dressed in black from head to toe, along with the black nail polish and a nose ring. She had a minimum wage job in a mall record store.

At one point, the store closed. She made up a resume and went knocking on doors, not changing her attire. As you might guess, no employers called her.

She showed up at my office one day. We took a quick field trip to a bank and an accountant's office, and I had her study what the women were wearing, and then I got a friend who did hair to "give her a discount" (I helped pay) to get the black dye out of her hair and give it a more business-like shape. Her mom took her shopping . . . within a week, she had a full-time teller job at a decent bank.

That was one of the success stories. I understand that she had a right to dress as she pleased but I pointed out that employers also generally have a certain way they want their employees to dress to represent the company, so she had a choice to make.

And in a larger sense, it's true on a broader level: if you want to succeed at X, you have to look the part. It's unfortunate when "gangstas" die, but then I ask some of the baggy pant-wearing young men if they really want to end up like that.

Every once in awhile it hits one that he's on a very bad path and he cleans up his act.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:14 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,572,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHawkMom View Post
Come to Cedar Rapids and I can show you plenty of white guys with the sagging pants. Come to Swisher and I can show you them as they pull up in their BMWs and Audi's to their 7 bedroom McMansions. Highly amusing.
Where do you live, I wonder...or do you just not leave your house?
Are these kids sagging, as in half way down their rear end, or are the pants just sliding down a little because they are loose fitting and need to be hiked up when they get out of the car?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Some of them can barely walk. Full on sag. They love to post pictures of themselves on Instagram and Facebook so I have seen...ummm...more of my son's friends than I ever wanted to. They say it's having "swag" and don't think in terms of appearing gangsta. Alas, the irony is they copy Justin Bieber, the most white bread kid on the planet. For a big laugh, Google " Justin Bieber sagging". I think the tightie whities are the true magical touch lol.

Last edited by PrairieHawkMom; 11-30-2013 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: typo due to craptastic auto correct

Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,572,905 times
Justin Bieber? I thought only 6-year-old girls paid attention to him... and I thought even those days were over.

Oh well... hopefully one day they will mature and realize how idiotic sagging is (my opinion).

Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Justin Bieber? I thought only 6-year-old girls paid attention to him... and I thought even those days were over.

Oh well... hopefully one day they will mature and realize how idiotic sagging is (my opinion).
Lol...the teen girls like him so...if they liked Barney I imagine the boys would all dye themselves purple lol... A lot of the rappers and some sports figures are popular among this crowd as well, and luckily Drake and other favorites are classy young guys who wear belts and even ties.
They will mature as we did. When I look back on my teen year fashion trends I shudder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or