U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 03:02 PM

4,757 posts, read 6,434,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Most people never leave Iowa.
Link?
Iowa has had a problem keeping it's young people in state for awhile now. Especially it's college grads.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:31 PM

374 posts, read 1,019,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
as i understood it, in regards to da twin cities, benefits are higher in minnesota than illinois, so the migration began. to stop the culture from continuing to another generation would require many changes. stop rewarding able bodied pple that choose this lifestyle. as it is now, they might say, why should i take some minumum wage job when i can work on the side and get some income from the state as well plus medical and housing benefits. helping pple to get back on their feet was the intent of welfare, it was never intended to be a generation to generation thing. setting stricter limits to the number of out of wedlock children the state will pay for, perhaps setting a limit to their total medical expenses that will be paid by the state per month or yr, may also reduce its appeal. section 8 housing fraud amounts to some 2 billion per year in this country. put these pple on a month to month lease, if they break a rule, they will be subject to immediate eviction. 2 billion is alot of dough per yr lost to fraud. its worth putting more investigative labor toward shutting down the fraudulant ones that should not be taking these apartments from pple that truly do have a need. reducing benefits gradually should also be done, after a certain period of time. make it less appealing to stay on the system and pple will look harder at other options. its a difficult problem but one that has gotten worse by the mismanagement of benefits. providing help to help themselves is what it should be about. not to create a longterm alternative to starting at the bottom of the labor pool and having to work hard to gain skills and move up.

on the other side of the coin there needs to be a deep rooted involvement from local educated blacks to mentor ghetto kids and give them a positive male role model. i dont believe there is an organized committment within the individual communities to make these types of positive changes. so called black leaders, we all know...do not have the best interests of the pple at heart, its simply a photo opp for them, then they return to their wealthy lifestyle. thats why community leaders in the areas must be the ones to take the lead in organizing mentor programs, etc. this is 2009, when pointing the finger of blame, pple need to realize where the blame actually sits. the number of educated black individuals prove that hard work does pay off. the message saying you can do it, is one these vulnerable kids need to hear very early in life from someone thats been there.

as far as whether there is an influx of pple from chicago creating problems, that can be traced to the offenders rap sheet, or even by counting the applications for assistance as to how many came from the windy city and are now in government assisted housing. couldnt pple from other crowded metro areas be coming to des moines or omaha as well? after all iowa, and nebraska do have lower jobless rates than many states. im not sure how iowa's welfare benefits compares to illinois. as one person said, regardless where they come from the behavior seems to be the same. local gang problems have been and remain homegrown, the windy city connection just makes a better headline, and probably sells more papers. in my opinion, the bad ones overshadow the good pple trying hard to move on and wanting a better life. much change is needed and sadly i cant see it happening any time soon.
Great post....

Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Link?
Iowa has had a problem keeping it's young people in state for awhile now. Especially it's college grads.
That's what they want you to believe. Most people I know that have gone to college in Iowa, stay in Iowa, obviously some leave but nowhere near the majority.

With that said, at Uiowa, I remember a lot of Chicago students, and most of them are back in Chicago after college. People really don't move away very often, I think that's just a conversation piece if anything, and a boring one at that.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 AM

4,757 posts, read 6,434,026 times
If that's the case, it must be true about all 50 states...most people stay in their home state, which means saying that about Iowa is kinda redundant and boring

Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,242,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
That's what they want you to believe. Most people I know that have gone to college in Iowa, stay in Iowa, obviously some leave but nowhere near the majority.

With that said, at Uiowa, I remember a lot of Chicago students, and most of them are back in Chicago after college. People really don't move away very often, I think that's just a conversation piece if anything, and a boring one at that.
Actually I went to Iowa and EVERY SINGLE one of the students from Iowa that I was friends with (maybe 25 or so) that I followed after school moved away from the state.

Sadly EVERY SINGLE one of my high school friends except one has also moved away.

I would think a very easy majority of the graduates from at least the U of Iowa move out of state. Especially given the degrees which tend to focus on business, medical, law, etc.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM

The huge thing that's made this such an issue within the past 5 years is that Chicago has torn down over 100 highrise buildings that contained most of the city's public housing. That's thousands of residents that have been tossed up into the air, and they're "landing" all over the place. Most of them had no education, social skills, jobs or money. I think many people have come to Iowa because it has very good social services given that people haven't taken advantage of it like they do in Illinois.

They're redeveloping things into 1/3 "projects", 1/3 low income and 1/3 market rate housing within the new buildings.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,626,728 times
When I was a freshman at Iowa over 10% of the class was from Chicagoland. It's no wonder there is a "brain drain" when these people graduate. They'd rather move back to their home town where there's more opportunities and a lot more happening. A lot of my high school friends from CR moved to Chicago or Milwaukee for jobs and other opportunities. There's limited opportunites in a state of 3 million people and towns no bigger than 190,000.

Some have moved back after they started a family. The statistics are bogus and you can make a case either way you want to look at it.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,321,872 times
I hope Iowa lets go of their laid back Iowan mentality. They better get that big city point of view and they better get it fast. Because thousands of "Chicago's Finest LOL" will continue to move to places like Wisconsin and Iowa because the social services are better and easier to get. These types of people come from generations of people who are perfectly fine with broken families, not working, doing drugs, lying to the police, be-friending and having family members who are criminals, etc. It's an entire culture mixing in with Iowa's good ole farm boy mentality. I hope Law Enforcement isn't timid or worried about these animals proclaiming racism. They need to stick up for what Iowa stands for. And that is not big city trash.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,209 times
I would rather live amongst the WS over the alternative thugs.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM

I think it's gone through waves, but up until around 1980 or so a majority of Iowa's graduates or 20 somethings tended to stay in the state as opposed to leaving.

The 1980's were a huge slam on the state, with a LOT more young people fleeing as soon as they got older.

The 1990's through the 2000's as far as can be told have changed a little. It seems MORE of Iowa's young people are staying in state and moving to the cities - hence Des Moines and Cedar Rapids/Iowa City are growing fairly well these days.

That said though - I certainly would never say a majority of Iowa's young people, but especially graduates, stay within the state. I would have to assume almost a vast majority of people who graduate from Iowa leave the state. Sadly every single person I grew up with in Coralville except two of them have left the state. All my cousins, my old roommates cousins, and everyone I was friends with at U of Iowa from Southwest Iowa all moved to Phoenix for whatever reasons. The ones from up by Sioux City ( I kinda got in with already formed groups of high school friends) moved to either New York, Georgia, Chicago or Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or