Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well yeah, I grew up in Iowa City in the 80's and 90's and anyone and everyone could very easily get drugs - that's certainly not changed or really been influenced.

The other comment about under the table income - that exists EVERYWHERE. Big cities, small towns, Iowa, New York, etc. etc. My friends own places in Chicago and we've all commented on the places that openly do the unreported income. There are very well known places in lakeview on the north side that always have the "cash only!" kitchens, events, rooms.... Anything that is given to you as cash only is more than likely off the books. They tell you its because its easier or faster or god knows what, but it's so they don't have to report the income. I've actually gotten in fights with people before where we'll be seated downstairs in a huge restaurant, then when our $300 bill comes we're told the downstairs is cash only. Yeah right. You have a "visa/mastercard" sign on the front door, my #ss you can only process cash. I only got upset because we obviously didn't have hundreds in cash sitting around, and the waiter told us it was just IMPOSSIBLE for him to ring us up with cards. We said we'd call the police and the city if he didn't take our card, and pointed out that they take them in the rest of the restaurant. That was the end of that.
It might make some sense that this could happen. I don't know of Iowa City from that time period. I only know of it being a university town and some other things.

It does exist everywhere. I mentioned one specific place as an example. I used to cut grass for people when I was a teenager. That was how I got paid, under the table. I mentioned "under the table" because people technically don't pay taxes on it and some people have used welfare/food stamps while working.
However, I never knew there were restaurants that only took cash. I haven't seen anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,137 times
Angry Posing a question

How many of you actually live on the east side?

How many have done so BEFORE it was bad, when you started to notice that there are now MORE section 8 and habitat housing, than actual housing

I have come to learn that they are going to build complexs (yes more than one) down off of whispering meadows, due to broadway, not going to accept section 8 anymore (yay!)

And for those of you skeptics, I have talked to some of the people who moved into section 8 housing, there ARE signs that say ''free housing iowa city'' (in chicago) or something of that variation

On a side note there are SOME (very little) that aren't bad, but the people you would expect, like people from kenya, or niger, ect, all OWN houses over there

Sorry for the bump, though

Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livedoneastsideb4itwasbad View Post
How many of you actually live on the east side?

How many have done so BEFORE it was bad, when you started to notice that there are now MORE section 8 and habitat housing, than actual housing

I have come to learn that they are going to build complexs (yes more than one) down off of whispering meadows, due to broadway, not going to accept section 8 anymore (yay!)

And for those of you skeptics, I have talked to some of the people who moved into section 8 housing, there ARE signs that say ''free housing iowa city'' (in chicago) or something of that variation
On a side note there are SOME (very little) that aren't bad, but the people you would expect, like people from kenya, or niger, ect, all OWN houses over there

Sorry for the bump, though
Where? I've been all over the city of Chicago for 10 years now, good and bad sides. I have never seen anything close to signs up randomly that say "free housing in Iowa City".

If anything it's random people who might be telling their friends about opportunities in Iowa City. It's certainly not the actual officials of either Iowa City or Chicago.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Nevermind, I found it:

Quote:
About those Chicago billboards
The Iowa Department of Economic Development has been advertising Iowa, as a place to live, in Chicago since the 1980s.

The department ran an ad on billboards along I-294, I-90, I-290 and I-94 in May, June and July of 2007. Those are all, of course, major interstates that can have apoplexy-inducing traffic.

The Iowa Department of Economic Development calls this “workforce recruitment,” an effort to reach University of Iowa graduates or native Iowans living in Chicago, get them to come back and raise their families here.

It’s really a far cry from the local myth that Iowa has been running Section 8 ads in south Chicago for years, but as Steve Rackis, the guy who oversees Section 8 in Iowa City, points out, everyone drives on the interstate, and everyone likes the idea of a safe, quiet place with good schools and no traffic.
I saw a picture of the billboard. It has nothing to do with free housing, certainly not section 8. It's geared to get U of Iowa graduates, over half of whom now come from the Chicago area, to think about setting up shop in Iowa. It's an Iowa way to try to fight the brain drain.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 11,137 times
Quote:
Where? I've been all over the city of Chicago for 10 years now, good and bad sides. I have never seen anything close to signs up randomly that say "free housing in Iowa City".

If anything it's random people who might be telling their friends about opportunities in Iowa City. It's certainly not the actual officials of either Iowa City or Chicago.
Its not like it is a billboard, more or less graffiti

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM

77 posts, read 199,706 times
Quote:
Nevermind, I found it:

I saw a picture of the billboard. It has nothing to do with free housing, certainly not section 8. It's geared to get U of Iowa graduates, over half of whom now come from the Chicago area, to think about setting up shop in Iowa. It's an Iowa way to try to fight the brain drain.

I agree with you, and it's absolutely laughable to think that those billboards were a conspiracy by the state of Iowa to bring in hordes of "gangsters" and "welfare cheats" from Chicago and Gary, Indiana. 93% of all of the residents of the housing projects---roughly 100,000---either moved into other parts of the City of Chicago, or into the South Suburbs, leaving 7% to head elsewhere. Do the math people. That's 7,000 people moving EVERYWHERE, not just Iowa. Must be the Tea Party nuts whipping up another one of their half-witted conspiracy theories.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 PM

77 posts, read 199,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livedoneastsideb4itwasbad View Post
Its not like it is a billboard, more or less graffiti
LOL...are you kidding me? Like Larry Hoover and Jeff Fort are sitting around prison telling fellow gangsters and their extended kin to spray paint in heiroglyphic fashion coded language encouraging blacks to move to Iowa. Uhh, perhaps they moved here because they read about Iowa on the INTERNET, saw it television, or, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, had relatives here for GENERATIONS. What a waste of brain cells.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky2012 View Post
LOL...are you kidding me? Like Larry Hoover and Jeff Fort are sitting around prison telling fellow gangsters and their extended kin to spray paint in heiroglyphic fashion coded language encouraging blacks to move to Iowa. Uhh, perhaps they moved here because they read about Iowa on the INTERNET, saw it television, or, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, had relatives here for GENERATIONS. What a waste of brain cells.
I would say gangs started choosing Iowa, not to mention Wisconsin and Minnesota because of the lack of lack of competition. In Chicago and New York, you have competition from other gangs. Iowa was considered to be fresh territory.

Ironically, it is the Black people who moving to the Upper Midwest for reasons including a better quality of life, jobs, and safer places to live, who get the least amount of attention. My father staying in Iowa because he has a job there doesn't get as much attention as gang members going there. Like a friend of mine said "if it bleeds, it leads".

Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 PM

321 posts, read 860,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky2012 View Post
I agree with you, and it's absolutely laughable to think that those billboards were a conspiracy by the state of Iowa to bring in hordes of "gangsters" and "welfare cheats" from Chicago and Gary, Indiana. 93% of all of the residents of the housing projects---roughly 100,000---either moved into other parts of the City of Chicago, or into the South Suburbs, leaving 7% to head elsewhere. Do the math people. That's 7,000 people moving EVERYWHERE, not just Iowa. Must be the Tea Party nuts whipping up another one of their half-witted conspiracy theories.
Can anybody else confirm or refute this 7% statistic or link to a credible source? I've heard many times that crime rates have skyrocketed from Chicago transplants all over the Midwest. I'd have a hard time believing this drastic increase in crime is really due to 7000 people. Something isn't right here.

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread to see if the source is given. It's a REALLY long thread!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 AM

89 posts, read 291,214 times
Well, I have lived in Burlington just a few years. I can say I do not feel it is the safest place for a town of only 20,000. Since I have only lived here a few years, I do not feel it is my right to "judge" who commits the crime; I HAVE heard from several people who have lived here their whole lives that it didn't used to be like this. That it started getting bad when Tysen Food Company around Columbus Junction started busing in people from Chicago to work.

I know there is crime everywhere, I just hate that such small town Iowa can receive such a bad name! Like I said, I haven't been here nearly as long as some other people, so this is what I have heard from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa