Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 AM

135 posts, read 548,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
I do only have 12 states to go toward my goal. Thank you all, for your ideas so far. And I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the title of this thread. People have asked me, WHY would you want to go to Iowa? (To most people, "vacation" means a beach, a cruise, etc.). I'd like to see what "undiscovered" and lesser-known areas for travelers have to offer. In the area where I live, I am guilty of thinking "Why would anyone want to come HERE?" But everywhere has something of value worth seeing.
Don't miss McGregor, Pikes Peak (the one in IA, not Colo), Effigy Mounds and Dubuque (take the cable car up the hill). On the west side of the state, be sure to visit Sioux City (Floyd's Monument, Lewis & Clark visitor center, Green Gables) and Larchwood, birthplace of Roger Blauwet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM

120 posts, read 279,226 times
I grew up in Illinois, and while we tend to joke about Iowa, there is a lot more there than people tend to think. It's not all cornfields, and it's not all flat. I spent a year working at Maytag in Newton, Iowa, and while I wouldn't want to spend my life there, I grew rather fond of the area.

If you happen to be there next May 6-8th, consider the tulip festival in Pella. It's a bit hokey but in a very charming way, and the town is very pleasant - the town was settled mostly by Dutch immigrants and there is still strong sense of Dutch heritage.

Iowa City is a great college town, and if you are a book lover, you have to stop at the Prairie Lights bookstore.

As many people mentioned, NE Iowa along the river is quite scenic.

While Des Moines is not going to overtake NYC, London or Paris as a world city any time soon, it would be worth spending a day or two exploring.

I hope that my attitude does not come off as being condescending because it is not meant too. I hate when people dismiss the Midwest as being "flyover" territory. There is much more to see and do there than people realize, and if the landscape is less dramatic than the West, it has a quiet beauty of its own that is there for people who can slow down enough to appreciate it.

Plus, while I think the term "heartland" is overused and has become a cliche, if there is such a thing as the "heartland", Iowa would be it.

Have a great trip!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,741 times
There is a lot of good barbeque restuarants there. Road Foodies love Iowa.http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurants/...Name&ps=1&s=IA

Eat Pork

Last edited by kek1993; 10-15-2009 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 AM

120 posts, read 279,226 times
Another quintessential Iowa dish is a loose-meat sandwich from Maid-Rite. It's kind of like a Sloppy Joe without the sloppy aspect.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM

30 posts, read 56,221 times
LMAO! Good luck HIKING in Iowa, this is probably the flatest land around! It is mostly corn/soy bean fields as far as the eye can see! But it does have those beautiful covered bridges, and the Science Center in Des Moines is pretty neat. Also, if youre into it, they have really cool old houses and barns. Go to Marshalltown! The very first Maid-Rite is there, amazing loose meat sandwiches, and delicious shakes! Have fun!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Ledges State Park near Boone is good for hiking - it doesn't really look like Iowa.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,741 times
Roseann Barr's Loose Meat Sandwich.

Just a lil' taste of Iowa. My favorite memory of growing up in Iowa, eating corn in summer, every day, any meal. Often, a big ear for breakfast. Sweet, fresh, nothing like Iowa corn. The smell of fresh rain in the summer.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM

8 posts, read 22,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I'm a big fan but I wouldn't recommend Iowa as a vacation destination. If you happen to pass through or wind up here somehow it's really not that bad.

I applaud to OP's sense of adventure and curiosity to check out a place like Iowa though. I would suggest coming here next August to check out the State Fair (2009 Iowa State Fair | State Fair Time) in Des Moines. If you plan on making it to the Des Moines area, I'd be happy to recommend some restaurants or other things.

.........if anything stop in Onawa Iowa in the first week of June.. & look me up Karen Harding everybody knows where I live.. & I'll show ya beautiful sites in and around my home town in the Loess Hills scenic byway.. & out in the sticks.. places of beauty that not even three-fourths of Iowa is aware of... I love the rolling hills of Iowa, the laid-back easiness not associated at all with the hustle-bustle of metropolis's.
Iowa could be considered "boring", but is far from it. We have a few wonder actor-actress-singer-songwriters born and raised right here, from our mid-state winter haven.
I hope you look me up..

I'm interested in meeting Roseanne Barr she once lived in Ottumwa, Iowa married to Tom Arnold born there.. and I was only 10 states away from her! Yikes! (if anyone knows how to reach her..please help me.. I have a actress- comedy question )

Have a great day everybody!

http://www.onawa.com/index.asp?Type=NONE&SEC={D6584034-9932-439F-A5E4-C4EBEE97B0D8}&DE=

Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 PM

252 posts, read 591,145 times
If you do decide to make the last hop to central Iowa, I reccomend coming in August when you can go to the Adel sweet corn festival and Iowa State Fair. The sweet corn festival is when all the local farmers around Adel bring in ther surplus sweet corn crop and the town makes a festival out of shucking it, mass-steaming it, and giving it away for free by the ear (unlimited amount) during a street-fair in the town square. Of course, you would have to hit the state fair in Des Moines as well (its famous).

If you decide to stay in Eastern Iowa, I reccomend going around early Fall when you can catch a Hawkeye game in Iowa City (you will find an abundance of good pubs). Then, you could drive up to Strawberry Point and stay at Backbone State Park. Lots of great hiking along some really neat bluffs. Davenport has some really kitchy stuff to do around the Mississippi as well. All in all you could make a great long weekend out of either central or eastern Iowa, just be sure to come at the right time.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM

11 posts, read 39,768 times
Just got back from Muscatine. Loved the historic homes, the river front. Very fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa