Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 15,328 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Fairfield, Iowa and would like to know if anyone on this forum has direct knowledge, or otherwise reliable experience of, the floods of 1993. What areas, if any were spared? Did Fairfield get hit hard?
Any insights are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 07:18 PM

134 posts, read 590,477 times
the only area got hit hard in 1993 was in des moines and that other time was over 80 years that got hit real bad if your going to be near lakes yes there is a chance it will flood but not like what happen over 13 years ago .

Old 11-01-2006, 03:55 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vergla View Post
the only area got hit hard in 1993 was in des moines

Wrong answer. Many communities were "hit hard" by flooding in the spring of 1993.

However, Fairfield wasn't one of them.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:10 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,776 times
I believe Ottumwa experienced flooding.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:25 PM

39 posts, read 276,242 times
Davenport got hit hard since its on the mississippi...idk what these other ppl are talkin about...

Old 11-02-2006, 11:47 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,776 times
The Mississippi is not the only river in Iowa.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:57 AM

87 posts, read 383,379 times
yeah i lived in davenport. It got the worst. CNN and NBC came and did a national news report. It was flooded all the way to 4th st. in downtown

Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
The first indication that a problem was developing came when an area NW of Des Moines, around the Raccoon River valley, received 10 inches of rain in a very short period of time. The Manager of the West Des Moines Water facility went up to look at the result and immediately called for sandbagging of the area around the water plant. I believe this was around 2:00 am.

The manager of the water plant in Des Moines waited until it was too late. Because of the way that plant is situated I doubt they could have kept it working even with ample warning. The plant was flooded and DSM had no water that summer. WDM closed the valves that fed water between the cities to protect their water supply.

That 10 inches of rain was the harbinger of a summer that those who lived through it will not forget.

The water plant in DSM now has a 19/20 foot dirt dam around it, including steel gates that close over the roadway. There are other areas in DSM and WDM that have done the same (63rd and Grand as an example).

Pretty much any city beyond DSM on the DSM River got hit. The Mississippi got anyone living by it.

A story: One of the engineers I worked with at the time was coming back to DSM on the Interstate. Being from a foreign country he sometimes had a difficult time with the language. He was stopped by the highway patrol and told to take an alternate route. When asked why he was told "The Raccoon is out". As he told us later he was trying to figure just how big a raccoon had to be to close an interstate!

Another fellow employee contracted a virus that attacked his heart while sandbagging. The last I heard he is okay, but is careful about certain things.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 PM

9 posts, read 31,102 times
Default floods of 93

There was no "flood of 93" it was more like FLOODS (plural) I happened to live in the Iowa River flood plain and though we were spared from any major damage, we did have to replace a few items in our basement. Your best bet if you are contemplating a move to Fairfield would be to talk to the local realtors and residents to find the most suitable location for you. I don't think you would have to worry much about flooding as long as you don't place yourself on lower ground and/or near a water source. Besides, sever flooding as that which happened in 1993 does not occur that extremely often...

Old 01-26-2007, 11:57 AM

20 posts, read 131,456 times
In 1993 everything that could flood did. You cannot protect yourself from rare weather events. If it's not one thing it's another. Especially in Iowa - if you don't like the weather wait a minute. I think you will like Fairfield. Maharishi University gives the town a flavor like no other. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa