U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 03:27 AM

29 posts, read 67,536 times

Advertisements

Hey All: I recently visited Davenport, and was blown away by the historic architecture of Quad cities. It took me no time to accept a job offer and now relocating to Davenport, IA. I'll be bringing 2 big dogs (doberman pinscher) with me.

- Does anyone know an apartment complex, that would allow my dogs and have short term leases. Its sad they are better behaved than most humans - schutzhund trained, but I'm not finding a place that would allow them.

- Are there any zoning restrictions in the larger quad-city area, pertaining to keeping more than one dog.

- If I work in downtown, any recommendation for areas to live and own a home. I would prefer working at walking distance. I'v noticed some homes near Palmer College very elegant and low priced (which is good), but then walking few streets away, I notice some not so good ghetto homes. I found Mcllelan Heights gorgeous though somewhat expensive (for the home features, difficult to find garages) and farther from downtown. And I'd not at all like to live in newer Bettendorf as its too far away (and lacking architecture). So what do you think about adjoining areas to downtown?

- Considering homes are historic and old. In general, is there a pest problem in the area? Any more peculiar issues?

- Any other advice for a newcomer to consider in Davenport or Quad City area.

Last edited by yeeah; 07-21-2009 at 03:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 03:40 PM

29 posts, read 67,536 times
um... No one wants us in Iowa?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:32 PM

4,779 posts, read 6,507,166 times
Gonna be hard to find a apt complex that allows one Dobe, let alone two.

And it's hit or miss as far as the historic areas. The East Village is cool but two block to the west is pretty ghetto and you're right about the Heights being expensive but it is a badass neighborhood to go daydreaming while driving.

Edit:Rock Island, across the river, has a bunch of historic areas but I don't know much about them.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:36 PM

413 posts, read 1,586,780 times
Come on now, some of us have to work and sleep!

Let me go through your questions here.

- Does anyone know an apartment complex, that would allow my dogs and have short term leases.
Its going to be tough with that combination. CityView might allow shorter leases, and they at least used to allow pets. However, they're expensive and generally have a waiting list. I assume that most of the apartments owned by the same company (McDonnell & Associates, Inc) might also allow pets.

- Are there any zoning restrictions in the larger quad-city area, pertaining to keeping more than one dog.
Each city has their own ordinances about this. Davenport's says you can't have more than 4 cats/dogs/ferrets/pot bellied pigs, and only 3 of them can be the same species. So 3 dogs and 1 cat is ok, 4 dogs is not.

- If I work in downtown, any recommendation for areas to live and own a home. I would prefer working at walking distance. I'v noticed some homes near Palmer College very elegant and low priced (which is good), but then walking few streets away, I notice some not so good ghetto homes. I found Mcllelan Heights gorgeous though somewhat expensive (for the home features, difficult to find garages) and farther from downtown. And I'd not at all like to live in newer Bettendorf as its too far away (and lacking architecture). So what do you think about adjoining areas to downtown?
The areas around downtown Davenport are a mixture of good and bad. They have some of the most beautiful houses, but they also have somewhat more crime than average. The Gold Coast area, to the northwest of downtown, has been improving steadily over the last decade or so, but still has some problems. The area to the north between Palmer and St. Ambrose is also improving, with plans to develop a campustown area between those 2 colleges. McClellan is great, but expensive. Its within walking distance of the East Village, but not as much of downtown Davenport. Easy biking distance though.

- Considering homes are historic and old. In general, is there a pest problem in the area? Any more peculiar issues?
Termites and carpenter ants can be an issue, but its not as widespread as in the South. Different neighborhoods and different homes have varying amounts of pests. I wouldn't call it a pest problem.

- Any other advice for a newcomer to consider in Davenport or Quad City area.
Get out there and enjoy as many of the amenities and festivals as you can. They're one of the main things (along with historic architecture) that sets us apart from similar sized cities. Welcome to the QC!

Last edited by QuadCityImages; 07-21-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa