Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times

Advertisements

Fearless leader Terry Branstad, governor of Iowa from 1983-1999 might throw in his bid for the 2010 gubernatorial election. Oh please, please let it be so. We have lost the balance of power in our state that had produced responsible government with the loss of Terry Branstad, whom was not afraid to veto any tax and spend bills that crossed his desk. I will be delighted to vote for Terry in 2010, since Steve King has not yet announced his intentions to run.

All you liberal party with our money types in the state house that might read this, you better get your medical marijuana bill passed before the end of next year, thats the last bit of work your gonna get done for a while. You had your fun, time for the ax man to make his return and cut your fat down to size. Hope all you smokers out there have a long memory when election day comes around next year. And if you want some property tax relief and help for small business......better vote for Terry.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times
I was a kid when Branstad was in office, so I really don't remember him or his policies. But I do know that under Branstad, Iowa lost a lot of its population, saw quite a bit of brain drain, and little economic rebound was made following the farm crisis and other recessions.

Under Vilsack and Culver we have seen the establishment of the Vision Iowa and Grow Iowa programs, the creation of the Iowa Power Fund, pay raises for the state's teachers (was sorely needed--my mom is a 2nd grade teacher and her pay was abysmal until a couple years ago), attracted new jobs from high-profile companies like Google, and increased the state's cash reserves.

Iowa needs continued progressive leadership, not a return to Branstad. While it has taken tax money to build new community centers, wellness centers, parks, and museums under Vision Iowa, think of it this way...we are investing in our state's future. These public works are attracting new people to the state, and helping to keep young people here after college. All that equals revenue in the end, and a better quality of life for the future children of Iowa.

I consider myself a political moderate, but I won't be voting for Branstad in 2010.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
Brandstad won't be running in 2010 - He has even said that himself. Even if he did, I can't imagine him standing a chance of winning. His 16 years were an utter disaster for Iowa for all the resons Mustang84 mentioned (Population decline, little to negative economic developement, the exodous of our best and brightest residents).

Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Not a big fan of Branstad, but about anybody would be an improvement over the CHUMP that's in there now.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Oh wow - I haven't heard that name in years!

I was a kid when Brandstad was governor, but his name still drives in a very crisp emotion into my head. Anytime during my childhood that his name came up, there was always a LOT of anger by all those around me talking. The first time in my life I ever heard my father swear was when Brandstad came on the TV talking about something. I remember I was scared, because I had never seen my dad show hatred for anyone before.

People REALLY hated that guy and everything he did - or more so what he didn't do, at least in Eastern Iowa. Someone must have liked him granted he kept getting re-elected. All I remember is people freaking out that he refused to spend any money or stimulate the state's economy, and while he was cheering for not raising taxes or spending, the state sat in the background dying all around.

Those really were some very dark days for Iowa, at least what was going on within the state during the 80's.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I lived in Iowa from 85 to 87 and those that I talked to loved the guy. I also remember at the time he was in office the nation was having issues. Kind of like today.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
He should run for Senate so Grassley can stop voting with the libs.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Oh wow - I haven't heard that name in years!

I was a kid when Brandstad was governor, but his name still drives in a very crisp emotion into my head. Anytime during my childhood that his name came up, there was always a LOT of anger by all those around me talking.
Well, you grew up in Iowa City. What did you expect with a republican governor??

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Well, you grew up in Iowa City. What did you expect with a republican governor??
Pretty much what we got.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
mustang84, your mom got the teacher pay increase because it was passed without the ability to pay for it, then they took at look around and picked on the smokers to pay for it. It was a desperate attempt to cover the cost of the bill they passed. Responsible government should figure out how to pay for something first before they pass it. We have unemployment up to 7% and the housing market is still in the toilet. It's a safe bet to say that the budget will continue to shrink over the next several years and there will be no money for new programs and pay increases for state employees. Some of those employees are probably going to be laid off. The Vision Iowa and other programs will still be there, but might have be downsized. All of the taxes in our state are high, they can't be raised anymore. This situation is well suited for Branstad to retake the helm and the voters will be able to trust that he will be good to his word.

Luke9686, Im sure that you, Steve King and Chuck Grassley would disagree with me, but I think Grassley should get on board concerning the health care bill that Obama is pushing. Grassley's comments last week about "We already have hundreds of insurance companies, why do we need another one run by the government"..... I have to disagree, we need a more efficient health care system and Obama says he won't sign a healthcare bill that increases the deficit. I think Obama is right in that the cost will double over the next 10 years if nothing is done. I have no problem with a non-proffit national health insurance plan that competes with all those poor insurance companies. At the national level I do support some of the things the democrats are trying to do, at least with healthcare. Locally, I support very little of what the democrats are trying to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa