Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,077 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about Ocheyedan? Thinking of moving there. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 AM

5 posts, read 20,565 times
ocheyedan is a small pretty nice town...but on the flip side the town, like the rest of the county, is falling apart and losing population DRAMATICALLY. Their elementary even shut down because of the loss of students. If your moving to NW IA, consider moving somewhere in sioux county. has alot of job opportunities and unlike the surrounding counties (lyon, o'brien, plymouth) is gaining population and adding alot of new business. nice towns in sioux county are hull and sioux center. Sioux Center is bigger than hull and has more job opportunities but hull has low living costs and is only a 9 min drive from sioux center. just 50 min from two big cities (sioux falls, sioux city) shopping is an easy task. Hull, being roughly only 2,000 people, boasts several restaurants, gas stations and has a clinic, dentist, chiropractor, eye doctor, physical theripast, 5 schools, 8 churches, tanning salons, several car repair shops, a car dealership, a few insurance agenicies, a pharmacy, general store, food center, and a new cheese factory which employs hundreds and will be expanding here in the short future, and many other things i cant name off hand. if you have any questions about sioux county ill be glad to answer them as i am from sioux county and very very familiar with many of the towns in sioux county...good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjohnny View Post
Does anyone have any information about Ocheyedan? Thinking of moving there. Much appreciated.
I lived not too far from Ocheydan - on the Minnesota side of the border - for nearly 20 years.

It's a very small town and, because everything in it is directly connected to agriculture, it is declining in population. Because of that, I would assume that the price of housing is quite low. You could probably buy a house and have mortgage payments lower than rent payments.

One of the main draws of Ocheydan is that it is less than 20 miles from the Iowa Great Lakes area - a bustling, growing area of the state.

I don't know where you're moving from but please be aware of the fact that winters in NW Iowa/SW Minnesota/SE South Dakota can be BRUTAL. It's not that it's colder there than anywhere else, but it always seems to be humid, and the wind is ALWAYS blowing.
(Edit: I see you're in Tucson. Duhhh... This leads me to assume that you have a specific reason for moving to Ocheydan, rather than that you randomly picked it.)

If you love living in a town that is almost the country itself, you'll probably like Ocheydan.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM

39 posts, read 167,195 times
Winters are brutal there for sure. The other thing to consider before moving to any county in Northwest Iowa is that it has to be one of the most conservative areas in the country. Being a Democrat is a rarity. Life there is about marriage (1 man, 1 woman), raising a family, earning a respectable income, opposing abortion, going to church on Sundays and supporting the status quo. As with most small towns, being different is looked upon with curiosity and often gossiped about behind closed doors. This is the part of the state that brought Rep. Steve King to office. If you don't know about him, do a little reading on him. He is scarily conservative. If you are ultra-conservative and meet the above requirements (married, straight, evangelical Christian) you will probably fit in just fine. If not, you may want to look more toward Central or Eastern Iowa.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 AM

Thanx for the info.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 AM

I would be happy to get any relocation information anyone may have.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:35 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,210,845 times
Just Googled "Iowa Relocation" and one of the sites it came up with is:
Iowa Relocation Guide - Real Estate, Apartments, Jobs, Mortgage, Travel, Maps and more!
Looks like it may have some useful info for you!
Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa