Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM

84 posts, read 295,519 times

Advertisements

US Cellular by far has the best service statewide. You can be in the most remote cornfield in the state and have a few bars ... It is the most popular around Iowa.

If you aren't going to travel outside of Des Moines much, you could look into some of the major carriers and be safe - I like T-Mobile's myFaves ... but yea - generally agreed - US Cellular is the best for Iowa residents. The biggest drawback is no SIM card which I can't grasp my mind around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 832 times
Run don't walk from T-Mobile. I have T-Mobile. Originally signed up with them in Utah when I lived there, recently moved to Cedar Rapids. I have no coverage all. it all bounces to I-wireless and that works about 50% of the time. I have sent my wife a text message, gone home, had dinner, then somewhere after that she might get the text. I have talked with T-mobile about it and their response is. "we have no coverage there, for $1,000.00 we will cancel the contract".

Old 10-06-2012, 04:18 PM

219 posts, read 455,438 times
All major cities in Iowa carry all the major service providers. Including other ones such as iWireless.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM

30 posts, read 47,384 times
Another vote for US Cellular..aside from having service when the other carriers don't. . .great customer service. ..the reps are actually friendly and helpful .. .I think this comes from being a smaller company that still cares about it's customers. . . ...they are growing tho so I hope this doesn't change!. .and the cheapest plans overall I think also. .

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

30 posts, read 47,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiboy View Post
Run don't walk from T-Mobile. ..... I have talked with T-mobile about it and their response is. "we have no coverage there, for $1,000.00 we will cancel the contract".

Why are you still using them?. . .tell them they're fired and when they try to collect their cancellation fee tell them they no longer provide the service you need and therefore you can no longer use their service . ..if they persist in trying to collect and send a collector after you, you explain that to them and tell them to stuff it. . .or something like that. . then take the minor hit on your credit and move to a carrier that CAN give you what you need. ...

Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echohunter View Post
Why are you still using them?. . .tell them they're fired and when they try to collect their cancellation fee tell them they no longer provide the service you need and therefore you can no longer use their service . ..if they persist in trying to collect and send a collector after you, you explain that to them and tell them to stuff it. . .or something like that. . then take the minor hit on your credit and move to a carrier that CAN give you what you need. ...
IMO in this incredibly tight credit market, it is not wise to take any hit to your credit score. Maybe prior to the banking crisis of 2008/2009 you could get away with it, but not now.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkade View Post
My wife and I are planning on relocating to Des Moines, Iowa. We currently have a verizon phone that is out of contract and we are leaning toward a T-mobile phone. How is the service in Iowa? Which would you recommend?
We are also thinking of opening a T-Mobile store. Any advice, and experience would be appreciated. Thanks
We live close to Iowa City and have no issue with Verizon at all and we've had them for almost 10 years now give or take a year or so, I don't remember exactly when we first got Verizon. I am not real sure about the Des Moines area however, anytime we are in that area we never have issues with cell service.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We live close to Iowa City and have no issue with Verizon at all and we've had them for almost 10 years now give or take a year or so, I don't remember exactly when we first got Verizon. I am not real sure about the Des Moines area however, anytime we are in that area we never have issues with cell service.
I have Verizon and live in Des Moines. No issues at all. AT&T was a nightmare for me, dropped calls, no reception, and not able to use my phone in my house.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have Verizon and live in Des Moines. No issues at all. AT&T was a nightmare for me, dropped calls, no reception, and not able to use my phone in my house.
I use to have AT&T also ... never again, at least not in Iowa. Also have Verizon now with no problems at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa