Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 46,536 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 20 yr old trying to leave iowa for a few years...i want to go to florida..i would like to know where people from up here liked...didn't like.....know anyone under 30 who moved down there and had success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millyp View Post
Hi, I'm a 20 yr old trying to leave iowa for a few years...i want to go to florida..i would like to know where people from up here liked...didn't like.....know anyone under 30 who moved down there and had success?
You could post this in the Florida forum, you may get more answers down there. Either that or I can move your post down to the Florida forum.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:12 PM

17 posts, read 46,536 times
Yorkie_mom..........i already have a post in Miami and in Orlando forums........I was just looking for an iowans perspective

Old 04-29-2007, 07:17 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I know a lot of people are moving out of Florida, so that makes you wonder if there is anything to that. From what I have heard, everything is overpriced, taxes are high, the real estate market is crashing, and it is overcrowded.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
Quote:
Yorkie_mom..........i already have a post in Miami and in Orlando forums........I was just looking for an iowans perspective
Good idea, it doesn't hurt to get all the help and ideas that you can. Good luck!!!!! Yorkie

Old 04-29-2007, 10:10 PM

10 posts, read 148,795 times
Default Lived in Jacksonville, FL

Recently moved to CR, I'm originally from rural farm country south of Buffalo, NY and moved to Jacksonville, FL at the age of 19 for a tour in the Navy. It took about two years to grow familiar with the crazy city and surrounding areas but the military was a catalyst for making friends and I had a great time. Clubs, spring break, racing cars, Bike Week, Daytona 500, and endless road trips to Pensicola (sp?), Daytona, St. Augustine, Orlando, and Tampa.

Keep in mind this was nearly 10 years ago before the realestate boom when you could buy a house in a safe neighborhood for 50k. I've known several young adults (some were even close friends) who were going to move to FL and make a life for themselves only to find that wages are notoriously low and there are few "good" jobs even if you have a degree.

I've often thought of returning to FL because I love the water and still have friends down there but as a 30 something father of one, I cannot think of a better place to raise a family than Iowa.

Bottom line...don't go without a plan and others to help when times get difficult...and they will. As with any relocation, financial stability is key.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,647 times
Lightbulb Just go....

Quote:
Jacksonville area with the intercoastal waterways, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach are nice areas. My Uncle and his grown kids all live in the Beachs area. The Tampa area is also very liveable. Your young with no one to hold you back, go for it. I left Iowa for KCMO when I was 23, and had nothing but my car, clothes, and an old TV. Have fun before you get committed.

Last edited by crashcop; 04-30-2007 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 35,965 times
Default I've lived in P-Cola and Tampa

Being 20 and trying to move anywhere that far away from home could be difficult. But I've done it on more than one occassion. You do really just need a plan of what you'll do once you get there and make it work because no one well do it for you. I went to college for a year at the University of West FLoirda and had a blast only because of the friends I made. Pensacola is really just lower Alabama with a beach and not to much on the scenic side enless your at the beach. Florida really becomes FLorida when you get south of Gainesville as far as I'm Concerned. Now as for the others, Orlando is really just Disney world where everything is over priced for no reason that I can figure. Miami is a beautiful city full of pastell colors, but you better be street smart. For a bad situation can find you in a second in that city. One of my best friends is from there and refuses to live there again due to crime and numerous other things, oh and its also expensive. I actually like tampa, and I wish I was still there, but I was alittle to young at the time and moved back home after falling on my face. Me and my girl just went down on vacation in Feb. and are looking on moving back. It is an area thats growing and no matter what anyone tells you you can live in an apartment with WAY MORE AMMENATIES than you can find in west Des Moines for the same price. I'm talking swimming pools, and fitness centers. I think West Des Moines forgets its in Iowa sometimes... Its also the most beautiful 20 min. drive to the beach down in clearwater. So you get both, the city and the beach. Now everyone has a different opinion but thats mine so good luck. Florida really is my home away from home, that well hopefully be home again

Old 05-01-2007, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 39,647 times
Okay, I don't normally write on here, but will do for another Iowan! I have lived in the South for 16 years, and have LOVED it. Currently we live in the Navarre Beach area (between Ft.Walton Beach and Pensacola). We have also lived close to Tallahassee and liked it over there-mostly due to friends-but really ANY town is what you make of it, that way.

Pensacola is probably a little less expensive than some other places, but since I don't know where in Iowa you are coming from, it is hard to make a comparison that way-you can always do that online, though. Frankly, this area has GROWN by leaps and bounds and is no longer just Lower Alabama! There is always a lot to do around here and we are also only about 25-30 to Destin, and lots to do there-especially for those your age. But really you can find all kinds of restaurants, concerts, malls, etc. in any of the towns I mentioned and the overall area is really beautiful. Just can't BEAT the local beaches-absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
We have the best of both worlds, we don't have the crime that the penisula has and the people are really friendly! I really think you will like the western panhandle-come for a visit and see for yourself-then decide!
Hope this is helpful!
Go Hawks!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM

37 posts, read 274,799 times
We're in the process of moving from western IA to the Orlando area - we're hoping to be in, settled, and enjoying a warm fall/winter no later than Oct 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa