Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 19,002 times

Advertisements

My fiancee accepted a job in Cedar Rapids; therefore, we will be moving up there from Texas after the wedding. My question is this: Which areas are the best to live in? I know that as far as what I am used to, crime is going to be virtually non-existant, but there has to be "good" areas and "bad" areas to live in, relatively speaking. I just don't want to wind up in a shady part of town without realizing it. Does anyone have any help to give?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 11:12 AM

189 posts, read 799,553 times
SE side of CR is probably the best and there are lots of little towns around CR within a short commute worth considering like Mt. Vernon for instance.

Try out this link to look at the housing market and get in touch with an area realtor to help you find exactly what you're looking for. Since you're new to the area, it might be an even better idea to rent for your first few months there to get a feel for neighborhoods and figure out what you like on your own.

http://gazetteonline.com/
http://www.realtor.com/cedarrapids/nbregion.asp?st=ia&poe=realtor (broken link)

Old 02-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks, mthawki. We are already working with a realtor, but I just wanted to hear from some people that live there. Ethically there is only so much the realtor can tell us. We have been looking at Marion, but not Mt. Vernon. I will extend our search to include that. Also, we have not seen much from the SE area, I will check it out too. Most of the things that we have seen were in the NE area and Marion. Any thoughts on those areas? About the renting...we will probably be doing that for a little while for we have to sell the house down here before we buy, but we are trying to go ahead and get a feel of things up there.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:41 PM

I actually grew up in Iowa City, so I'm just going off of what I remember about CR along with some of my own research. You're going to find decent neighborhoods all over town and it's really going to come down to finding out what you like best (IE: older homes, newer homes, proximity to shopping, etc).
The winter is also a very slow time in the real estate market as far as inventory goes. Once things start to warm up in March/April, then a lot more homes come on the market and give you more of a choice.
Moderator cut: link removed is a good site to give you some more info about the area too.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 04:16 AM..

Old 02-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks, again for your help.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:55 PM

You're welcome! If you have any other questions, this is a good place to get 'em answered.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 PM

24 posts, read 133,297 times
Default I couldn't wait to move from Iowa to Texas...u r goin the wrong way!!

LOL Well, if boredom doesn't drive you stir crazy, I hope you enjoy Iowa. You can have it! When they say in the summer that you can sit and hear the corn grow, listen to them...IT'S TRUE!!! Nothin else goin on in that place to keep you from hearin it!! Good luck and Texas will still be here when you come to your senses!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:42 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,584 times
Well, Iowa is quiet, but some people like quiet, so there's nothing wrong with it for them. I enjoy parts of living in Iowa, just as I don't like parts of it. I don't want to turn anyone off Iowa, I just think there are people who would be happier somewhere else. Iowa is a rural state, and those tend to be quiet.

Last edited by summer grace; 04-15-2007 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 35,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southrngrl View Post
My fiancee accepted a job in Cedar Rapids; therefore, we will be moving up there from Texas after the wedding. My question is this: Which areas are the best to live in? I know that as far as what I am used to, crime is going to be virtually non-existant, but there has to be "good" areas and "bad" areas to live in, relatively speaking. I just don't want to wind up in a shady part of town without realizing it. Does anyone have any help to give?
Avoid anything under 19th St. in any quadrant of town (SE, NE, SW, NW) and you should be fine. I lived in CR for eight years.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 35,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiaBully View Post
LOL Well, if boredom doesn't drive you stir crazy, I hope you enjoy Iowa. You can have it! When they say in the summer that you can sit and hear the corn grow, listen to them...IT'S TRUE!!! Nothin else goin on in that place to keep you from hearin it!! Good luck and Texas will still be here when you come to your senses!
Ugh. I'd take an Iowa summer over a Texas summer any day. In TX in the summer, you can't even go outside. They go from AC house to AC car to AC store. No way to enjoy the summer, if you ask me. I'd rather be OUTSIDE listening to the corn grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa