Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
You took this from Red Light Cameras to redneck CB. Not me.I am just defending the wonderdul people who live here. Apparently are very biased and hateful toward us. Sorry but we are good people. Hope you have a good day and no one hates you!!!!!!!!!

Why can't you talk about the red light cameras the crooks in your City Council installed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 06:53 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Something like 70% of the tickets go back to the company who installed the cameras. It's nothing short of a scam. It's extortion.

The real problem is not that there are red light cameras there. The problem is that the crooks set the yellow light to be shorter than yellow lights are supposed to be.

The lights should stay yellow a minimum of 3 seconds in a 25 mph zone. But the crooks in Council Bluffs have the 35th & Broadway yellow timed at less than 3 seconds, and that is in a 35 mph zone - a zone that drops to 35 mph only 2 blocks from the intersection.

Straight up extortion. It's not about public safety. It's about making easy money. It's absurd. But, alas, it's nothing less than is to be expected from the City of Council Bluffs.
not only is it a scam . Its illegal for thr city 's to be doing this.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM

28 posts, read 107,488 times
I've heard this stuff about "Counciltucky" from Omaha people quite a bit. It is a blue collar town, big whoop there are lots of those. I think it just stems from the fact that they have no one else to feel superior to........after all they live in Nebraska.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaTexasDC Guy View Post
I've heard this stuff about "Counciltucky" from Omaha people quite a bit. It is a blue collar town, big whoop there are lots of those. I think it just stems from the fact that they have no one else to feel superior to........after all they live in Nebraska.
If all else fails, we have you to feel superior to.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
You should browse the Phoenix area forums, traffic cameras are a very popular topic. I believe Arizona, Phoenix metro especially, is at this point the largest market for the cameras - both speed and red light. I could spend half an hour rehashing all the bullet points, but when you get down to it, it's basically just a scam. RedFlex is an Australian company profitting from enforcing laws in the US. People react in unpredictable ways to the presence of cameras, creating a higher probability of accidents. Camera tickets do not apply points to your license, therefore there is no deterrent from repeated behavior. And the list goes on.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
You should browse the Phoenix area forums, traffic cameras are a very popular topic. I believe Arizona, Phoenix metro especially, is at this point the largest market for the cameras - both speed and red light. I could spend half an hour rehashing all the bullet points, but when you get down to it, it's basically just a scam. RedFlex is an Australian company profitting from enforcing laws in the US. People react in unpredictable ways to the presence of cameras, creating a higher probability of accidents. Camera tickets do not apply points to your license, therefore there is no deterrent from repeated behavior. And the list goes on.
Right.

From what I've read, it appears that something like 73% of the price of each ticket gotes to RedFlex.

So basically it's an Australian company that has figured out how to make HUGE money. And individual American cities are making a good chunk of change too - and that by doing nothing.

It's not about public safety. It's about money.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
I accidentally happened upon this string while researching this subject. The legality is being questioned by a former cop in Missouri. This could impact every city in the country that uses these scameras. Basically the only reason they have been installed is to generate income for a city.

http://www.kspr.com/news/whereyouliv.../82634012.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/mis...light-cameras/

Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM

87 posts, read 383,401 times
I don't agree with these cameras, but they are required to put signs up saying a camera is coming up. If you are dumb enough to speed through an intersection with a sign warning you, you are an idiot. Slow down through the intersection, then speed right back up. It's that simple. Would you rather have a big camera in plain sight that you know is there, or a cop hidden behind a building doing a speed trap, surprising you?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:12 PM

87 posts, read 383,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I accidentally happened upon this string while researching this subject. The legality is being questioned by a former cop in Missouri. This could impact every city in the country that uses these scameras. Basically the only reason they have been installed is to generate income for a city.

KSPR 33 breaking news, weather and sports in Springfield, MO and the Ozarks - kspr.com

Missouri Supreme Court Questions Legality of Red Light Cameras | The Truth About Cars
If idiots would quit running red lights and speeding past the cameras, the city and redflex will not make any revenue. And when the money stops coming in, I guarantee the cameras will come down just as quick as they went up. I agree it's more about money than safety, but like I said these cameras are required to have a sign warning you theres a speed trap. If you see a sign saying "speed camera" ahead, and you don't have enough brain cells to put two and two together and slow down, you deserve to lose your money.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,872 times
i cosign for my daughter so my name is on the car to she got a ticket in the mail for speeding from a camera do i get the ticket to it came in both are names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa