U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 PM

164 posts, read 551,485 times

Advertisements

I need a little advice here. My family is looking into moving to Iowa. I'd work in Des Moines, my wife would work in Ames...where would you live in that situation?

1. Live in Ames and one of us commutes to downtown Des Moines.
2. Live in Des Moines and one of us commutes to Ames
3. Live someplace in between, like Ankeny, which seems to be located in the best spot to commute in each direction with I-35 being so close.

Does anybody have a similar situation they deal with? What do you do? Any advice you could give me would be great. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:30 AM

28 posts, read 97,928 times
Ankeny is obviously your best bet. Unless one of you really likes driving and the other one hates it. Its a very nice city that is growing very quickly. Great schools (building a second HS soon). It is a burb, but somewhat apart from DM. There are some nice small towns in North Polk Co too, if your open to that. Ballard, Huxley, Slater for example.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 AM

267 posts, read 1,136,925 times
I'd definitely go with Ankeny. It's closer to Des Moines than it is to Ames, but it's a good compromise. It would probably be about 30 minutes to Ames and 15 or so to Des Moines, depending on traffic. (Although traffic is not that bad on I-35 usually, I've driven through there during rush hour and traffic always seems to be flowing freely.)

Old 11-22-2009, 04:47 PM

113 posts, read 403,432 times
I have some friends who have the same working situation and they live in Grimes. They say it's just about the same distance to Ames and downtown from their house.

**Edited to add: After looking at the map, the northern part of Ankeny definitely seems like the best option for you all. Schools in Ankeny are really good too.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM

84 posts, read 268,828 times
Ankeny is a great clean community. Does a lot of things right. Highly consider it.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:00 PM

450 posts, read 2,049,192 times
What part of Des Moines will you be working in (Downtown, West Des moines, Urbandale, etc.)? Some of the NW suburbs may not be a bad option depending on where you have to commute...

Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 AM

25 posts, read 80,900 times
Ankeny is on the upswing. A lot of good, positive growth. Definitely headed in the right direction. In your position, I would give Ankeny some serious consideration. The drive from Ankeny to Ames is relatively short, according to this commuter. Your mileage may vary!

Best of wishes no matter the destination.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 22,445 times
I think Ankeny is the best choice. Very clean area in my opinion. I do also think that Grimes is a cute town as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,246,590 times
I'm not trying to be disrespectful here because I really don't know Ames at all, but does it have any of the qualities that draw so many to Iowa City as a college town. I realize that Iowa City is one of the truly definitive college towns in the nation and Ames is (again I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's feet here) pretty much the opposite.

But will someone who opts for a college town find in Ames the things s/he is looking for?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 PM

267 posts, read 1,136,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm not trying to be disrespectful here because I really don't know Ames at all, but does it have any of the qualities that draw so many to Iowa City as a college town. I realize that Iowa City is one of the truly definitive college towns in the nation and Ames is (again I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's feet here) pretty much the opposite.

But will someone who opts for a college town find in Ames the things s/he is looking for?
Eh. As a long-time resident of the IC area now living in Ames, I think I'm pretty qualified to tell you that you're basically right in your assumptions. Ames feels like a much smaller town than Iowa City (and it is smaller, but it's very noticeable) and Campustown in no way compares to downtown IC. I've noticed a totally different vibe in Ames, it seems less liberal and artsy. There are bars, there are cafés, and there are restaurants, but they're more spread out and there are less of them. If you want a college town and have a choice between the two, go for Iowa City. Ames might work for you but it's just not as satisfying as a college town, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or