Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,641 times

Advertisements

From a fellow 'Washingtonian' . . . NO, Iowa is not at all bad I just moved back to the Seattle area after spending three very happy and memorable years in Mt Pleasant (just 45 minutes from Keokuk). I could write pages of all the things I loved about Iowa, but will tell you surely - STAY AWAY FROM KEOKUK! Seemed like an all right town when we checked it out, but dealing with the City of Keokuk is a nightmare. My parents, who own a construction company in the Seattle area, decided to invest in Keokuk after visiting. They purchased a condemned home that had been vacant for over 7 years. They shoveled out years worth of animal excrement as well as trash and drug paraphernalia from numerous human inhabitants who had broken in and taken residence over the years. The city had never done a thing about it. In only two months, my parents managed to completely clear several years of overgrowth around the house (including 2 trees endangering the house next door), clean it out, gut it (removing all the old wiring, plumbing, lathe and plaster), remove a rotted addition, level and reframe, and then winterize and secure it before being driven back home by the winter weather. Only two months after returning home, circumstances surrounding the medical care of my grandmother and aunt necessitated that they take in both as in-home care. Subsequently, they were unable to return to Keokuk this spring to continue work on the home but figured that it was in much better shape than it had been for several years and would be fine for the time being. They had a neighbor keeping an eye on it to ensure that it didn’t become a flop house again and kept in regular contact with him. Imagine their surprise and dismay when they received a letter in July from the City of Keokuk stating that they owed $225 dollars for 3 lawn mowings in June and early July. They contacted the city and by the time all was said and done, were charged for mowing 6 times, plus late charges . . . totaling nearly $550!! When my mom told the woman at the city office that she and my father would have been happy to arrange mowing if they had realized that it was an issue and had been notified, she was simply told “we don’t do that”. NOT a very welcoming response to someone attempting to improve your community, Keokuk! End result, the house will most likely now sit empty for several more years and again become a refuge for wild animals and drug users– my parents are thoroughly disgusted with even the thought of returning to Iowa again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeprivergal View Post
I'm a transplanted Iowan now living in the Portland area. Left IA looking for something different - I found it out here in a part of Oregon that has no respect for farmers and ranchers at all, people who don't know how to do a day's worth of work for a day's worth of pay, losers, drunks, drug addicts, and welfare cheats. Sorry I ever left.
The is odd...This is exactly what I see in Iowa...most of my family still live there, only because the drugs are as plentiful as the welfare checks...I lived all along the eastern side, and some in the south central, around Oskaloosa. I am now a proud part of Texas where people are truly kind to their country and fellow man. Southeast Iowa is the "Arm-pit of America"

Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,227 times
Iowa is not all bad.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glad2B_gone View Post
The is odd...This is exactly what I see in Iowa...most of my family still live there, only because the drugs are as plentiful as the welfare checks...I lived all along the eastern side, and some in the south central, around Oskaloosa. I am now a proud part of Texas where people are truly kind to their country and fellow man. Southeast Iowa is the "Arm-pit of America"
God, I'm sure everyone is Iowa is just so sorry to have seen you leave.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Default Iowa+Bad?=NO!!!

Iowa is NOT all bad at all, I lived here when I was a kid then moved away from Iowa to go to Kansas. Kansas was the worst experience of my life by far, the people there are horrible the neighborhoods are filthy and such along those lines. I also traveled with my dad and every single client I saw said that I must have Iowan hospitality in my blood, which proves that Iowans are nice. We are very nice and I couldn't stand Kansas much longer I swear I was gonna kill someone. so I moved to Moville, Iowa and there was an immediate change, so many great loving and understanding people. It's like that everywhere I go in Iowa now. I'M AN IOWAN AND I'M PROUD!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glad2B_gone View Post
I cant say all texas is bad, but growing up in san antonio texas and recently moving to cedar rapids - the bad of san antonio definitely outweighs the bad of cedar rapids. You dont have a drug war going on here, I really havent heard of home invasions here, in short, I'd feel much safer walking the downtown of cedar rapids than san antonio at night. You guys dont have the graffiti all over town, the property vandelizing by juveniles at night, etc etc.

I know meth is big here, but id rather deal with bored meth heads than violent crime.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:30 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,429 times
Cool Not all bad, mostly awesome, but maybe not for everybody

As a few people pointed out previously, you get out of Iowa what you put into it. I lived in Grundy county the first 20 years of my life, all of one semester in IA City, and I try to get back home at least once a year, so I have at least some idea of what I'm talking about. Here are some pointers:

1. Weather: This may be the big kicker as for why Iowa is not for everyone. You need to tough and adaptable to deal with IA weather. It is entirely possible in April to get snow and freezing rain one day and then be dodging tornadoes in near 80 degree heat a day or two later. Some people (me) enjoy this, others not so much. If you are not a winter person, you should not live in Iowa. On the other hand, if you can handle snow in the winter and miles of boring unplanted fields in the early spring, you will be rewarded by the way the land basically explodes into greenery in the summer and beautiful foliage in the fall. I miss the summer thunderstorms (we get maybe one a year here in San Francisco) and I really can't think of any place I'd rather be in September or October than back home, particularly along the Mississippi.
A note about flooding. Someone said to get flood insurance. I'll take it a step further and say don't live on the river (especially in Ames, Des Moines, or Cedar Rapids). We have beautiful rivers that are great for fishing and boating, but spring floods are a reality of life. Buying a home on any large body of water in IA is like waving your middle finger in the Lord's face and daring him to do something about it.

2. Landscape: see above. The lack of mountains, oceans, extensive forests and truly massive lakes can be a bit of a drawback, but the hills and fields have a character of their own. I can't really define it, but there's a sort of friendliness to the landscape that you don't get in some of the plains states like Nebraska or Kansas. For one thing, most of it is not truly flat like those states, but instead you have rolling hills that break the monotony. The best way to know if you'd love it or hate it is to look in the pictures thread here, or take a look at one of the Iowa groups on Flickr.com.

3. Activities: Another kicker. Do you enjoy all or most of the following: hunting, fishing, camping, reading, being on the internet, watching TV, or compulsively working yourself into an early grave? If so, you can probably enjoy living almost anywhere in IA. If you need a bit more, like live music, theater, sports, art exhibitions, or cultural events in general, you may want to limit yourself to the Des Moines/Ames or Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area. I personally would not want to move back home because I'd get bored and my wife would go out of her mind within a week (it's happened before when we visited my family and got snowed in), but I could definitely handle Des Moines. Also keep in mind that Chicago, the Twin Cities, Omaha, St. Louis, and Madison are all within a day's drive of just about anywhere in IA if you need a dose of bigger city. No matter where you are, you will definitely find the pace of life slower than you would in the big cities on the coasts.

4. Politics: Despite what a few people here have posted, the vast majority of Iowans are level-headed and politically moderate with a live and let live attitude. Iowans love to debate and talk politics, and those who lean left love to rib those who lean right and vice-versa. What Iowans aren't big on is fighting or getting personal about it. Like many previous posters, I have just about all ends of the spectrum represented in my family. I lean very left (San Francisco moderate/Iowa radical) and my late best friend was a Bush Republican, but we never let that get in the way of a good game of cards over a few beers.
Re the gay thing: While the gay marriage decision was a judicial one, Iowans also voted strongly this last year against a constitutional convention that would have likely reversed the decision. Most folks honestly don't care about Steve and George getting hitched nearly as much as they do about getting the economy back on track.

5. People: Most Iowans are hard-working, down to earth, and a little reserved. If you make a spectacle of yourself, you will definitely draw stares and whispered comments, except maybe in Iowa City or in Des Moines's East Village neighborhood. That doesn't mean you'll be messed with or refused service, though. Iowans are also probably the kindest, friendliest, most accommodating people on the planet. If your car breaks down, someone will give you a lift. If your house burns down, somebody will let you stay in their spare room until you find a new place. If your shirt magically disappears, someone will give you theirs. As long as you are not a complete jerk, you will always be able to make friends in Iowa.

6. Economy: As of Dec. 2010, IA had a 6.3% unemployment rate, the 6th lowest in the country. The national average is something like 8.5%. Here in CA it's like 12.5%. 'Nuff said.

Wow, lots of words. So let me wrap up: if you self-identify as a big city person or someone who can't deal with extreme weather, you will hate living in Iowa. Otherwise, you can probably make an excellent life for yourself. I've lived in San Francisco for 7 years and it's a great place, but I want to head back home for good more than anything. There's nowhere else I'd rather raise my family.

Now if I could just get the wife on board...

Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,429 times
Exclamation one more thing

If it's sweet, bubbly, non-alcoholic, and comes in a can, it's called "pop". Deal with it.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

26 posts, read 86,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
As a few people pointed out previously, you get out of Iowa what you put into it. I lived in Grundy county the first 20 years of my life, all of one semester in IA City, and I try to get back home at least once a year, so I have at least some idea of what I'm talking about. Here are some pointers:

1. Weather: This may be the big kicker as for why Iowa is not for everyone. You need to tough and adaptable to deal with IA weather. It is entirely possible in April to get snow and freezing rain one day and then be dodging tornadoes in near 80 degree heat a day or two later. Some people (me) enjoy this, others not so much. If you are not a winter person, you should not live in Iowa. On the other hand, if you can handle snow in the winter and miles of boring unplanted fields in the early spring, you will be rewarded by the way the land basically explodes into greenery in the summer and beautiful foliage in the fall. I miss the summer thunderstorms (we get maybe one a year here in San Francisco) and I really can't think of any place I'd rather be in September or October than back home, particularly along the Mississippi.
A note about flooding. Someone said to get flood insurance. I'll take it a step further and say don't live on the river (especially in Ames, Des Moines, or Cedar Rapids). We have beautiful rivers that are great for fishing and boating, but spring floods are a reality of life. Buying a home on any large body of water in IA is like waving your middle finger in the Lord's face and daring him to do something about it.

2. Landscape: see above. The lack of mountains, oceans, extensive forests and truly massive lakes can be a bit of a drawback, but the hills and fields have a character of their own. I can't really define it, but there's a sort of friendliness to the landscape that you don't get in some of the plains states like Nebraska or Kansas. For one thing, most of it is not truly flat like those states, but instead you have rolling hills that break the monotony. The best way to know if you'd love it or hate it is to look in the pictures thread here, or take a look at one of the Iowa groups on Flickr.com.

3. Activities: Another kicker. Do you enjoy all or most of the following: hunting, fishing, camping, reading, being on the internet, watching TV, or compulsively working yourself into an early grave? If so, you can probably enjoy living almost anywhere in IA. If you need a bit more, like live music, theater, sports, art exhibitions, or cultural events in general, you may want to limit yourself to the Des Moines/Ames or Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area. I personally would not want to move back home because I'd get bored and my wife would go out of her mind within a week (it's happened before when we visited my family and got snowed in), but I could definitely handle Des Moines. Also keep in mind that Chicago, the Twin Cities, Omaha, St. Louis, and Madison are all within a day's drive of just about anywhere in IA if you need a dose of bigger city. No matter where you are, you will definitely find the pace of life slower than you would in the big cities on the coasts.

4. Politics: Despite what a few people here have posted, the vast majority of Iowans are level-headed and politically moderate with a live and let live attitude. Iowans love to debate and talk politics, and those who lean left love to rib those who lean right and vice-versa. What Iowans aren't big on is fighting or getting personal about it. Like many previous posters, I have just about all ends of the spectrum represented in my family. I lean very left (San Francisco moderate/Iowa radical) and my late best friend was a Bush Republican, but we never let that get in the way of a good game of cards over a few beers.
Re the gay thing: While the gay marriage decision was a judicial one, Iowans also voted strongly this last year against a constitutional convention that would have likely reversed the decision. Most folks honestly don't care about Steve and George getting hitched nearly as much as they do about getting the economy back on track.

5. People: Most Iowans are hard-working, down to earth, and a little reserved. If you make a spectacle of yourself, you will definitely draw stares and whispered comments, except maybe in Iowa City or in Des Moines's East Village neighborhood. That doesn't mean you'll be messed with or refused service, though. Iowans are also probably the kindest, friendliest, most accommodating people on the planet. If your car breaks down, someone will give you a lift. If your house burns down, somebody will let you stay in their spare room until you find a new place. If your shirt magically disappears, someone will give you theirs. As long as you are not a complete jerk, you will always be able to make friends in Iowa.

6. Economy: As of Dec. 2010, IA had a 6.3% unemployment rate, the 6th lowest in the country. The national average is something like 8.5%. Here in CA it's like 12.5%. 'Nuff said.

Wow, lots of words. So let me wrap up: if you self-identify as a big city person or someone who can't deal with extreme weather, you will hate living in Iowa. Otherwise, you can probably make an excellent life for yourself. I've lived in San Francisco for 7 years and it's a great place, but I want to head back home for good more than anything. There's nowhere else I'd rather raise my family.

Now if I could just get the wife on board...
Great post. This is the Iowa I'm hoping to meet very soon.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,058 times
HoshiroFrolics:
Iowans are nice until we have to kill you. A new state motto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa