U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,777 times

Advertisements

I live in marshalltown iowa. The school are at the bottom of my list! And that is not false. How a whole town walk around in tshirts that say no bullying in our school but it happened to my kids every dam day? I have a foster kid tested at a 4th grade level at the end of her 8th year and was passed to the 9th. No wonder there are so many dumb asses here. To much inbreeding and racism for me. Like I said that's my opinion and if u don't like it that's just to bad but I think the same about Nebraska can't wait to ge back down south
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Yes of course, you have a right to an opinion, so why then do you make a statement like ""schools r at the bottom" which is factuallly untrue. That is not an opinion. That is called a false statement (as it can be quantified) and puts the the crediblity of anything else you say in question.

Second, if you truly intend to be helpful, it doesn't do a lot of good if you don't say what part of the state you live in. It is not like Iowa is the size of Rhode Island.
Yes it is a opinion that the schools are at the bottom! That's how I feel about my experience with the schools here and I live in marshalltown. Sorry if u are from here but to much racism and inbreeding. Yep I said it is what it is.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 AM

656 posts, read 975,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyme79 View Post
Yes it is a opinion that the schools are at the bottom! That's how I feel about my experience with the schools here and I live in marshalltown. Sorry if u are from here but to much racism and inbreeding. Yep I said it is what it is.
No, "schools are at the bottom" actually ISN'T an opinion, because unlike an unverifiable statement like "the schools here suck", it can actually be proven or disproven by looking at a performance list of schools in the state or the country and seeing where it ranks. Whatever school you went to obviously didn't teach you that distinction. Are you sure you aren't a product of the M'town school system?

As for the bit about racism, well, I'll give you that one. I think it's better than it used to be and getting better all the time, but you can definitely run into that element there, especially if you're Hispanic.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,750 times
Quote:
I live in marshalltown iowa. The school are at the bottom of my list! And that is not false. How a whole town walk around in tshirts that say no bullying in our school but it happened to my kids every dam day? I have a foster kid tested at a 4th grade level at the end of her 8th year and was passed to the 9th. No wonder there are so many dumb asses here. To much inbreeding and racism for me. Like I said that's my opinion and if u don't like it that's just to bad but I think the same about Nebraska can't wait to ge back down south

[mod snip]

By the way, I am a graduate of the Marshalltown school system. If you are going to be casting stones, please don't live in a glass house. Have a nice trip back to the south.

Last edited by ElleTea; 08-07-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,098,968 times
Quote:
You have a foster child that tested at the 4th grade level and was passed on into the 9th grade? How long has the child been in this school system and with you? Any conversations with the school regarding these problems? What are you doing to catch this child up? That burden is on you as the foster parent.

Take a look at the graduation rates, the number that have their kids in private schools, and the amount spent on education in some southern states and you will see it's not all perfect there either.

Opps, I see this post is from last August 4th rather than this year. So I guess I can't expect an answer to my questions.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,803,439 times
Yeah, I really wish they would do something about some of these old threads so they are better marked. Some of these are old enough that a new one really needs to be started with more current data.

I bounce my old Faygo Rock and Rye thread when I have something to add, but I'm also currently an active poster on this forum.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 AM

427 posts, read 410,623 times
It's a decent place to live but there is no excitement. It's a slow moving place without amenities you'd experience in many other places in the US.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:01 PM

2,396 posts, read 2,434,635 times
Just my opinion and my view, but I lived in Des Moines briefly ( most folks seemed to have been born and raised there), and thought it was kind of a bland city imo, surrounding by cornfields, and semi rolling hills. There is crime, and the downtown was nothing fancy imo. The winters are tough, people were polite, but distant, reserved, no different than what one may find in Seattle, Portland, Nebraska, North Dakota, and etc....I find a very strong similar social demeanor in the plains states, the western Midwest, and in the Pacific northwest. Reserved, aloof, standoffish, imo. I just don't agree that Midwesterners are this ultra friendly, warm group of souls, to the level that I read about. I find in general, ...more of a cliquesh, anti-social sort of Nordic reserve in places like NE, SD, ND, MN, WI, IA, WA, OR, ....very similar socially imo. I will say that Des Moines is an ok smaller city though,...it seems economically strong. Just my experience, others may have differed. Could be the right fit for others I reckon. I have heard Decorah IA is nice.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 10-04-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 06:34 PM

495 posts, read 509,667 times
I would say Iowa people are fair, kind, low key, accepting of people who are different from them but strict nontheless that people be moral and respectful. The discipline system of Iowa parenting and schools is strict like Baptist evangelical school system or Catholic school, but the dogma is instead non-sectarian, everyone can be who they were born to be but nontheless must have a certain set of behavioral manners and Iowa society is very strict on this.

Iowa society is a great place for any child with a learning disability in particular because the Iowa custom would be to treat this kid as equal as anyone else, wherever the kid has ability to overcome a hardship, yet that society would ensure anything the kid cannot physically do be accommodated fully. This truly facilitates an outcome where people succeed higher than they otherwise would, regardless of their born strengths and weaknesses. The goal of an Iowa culture is an egalitarian one, that nobody is too special to be exempt from hard work, nobody is too rich to do the dirty work, yet at the same time, nobody should go to bed hungry who can't help it, but no poor person has any excuse to say "poor me". A common sense society.

My third grade teacher from Iowa was the one who straightened me out. She was the one who challenged me to stop pitying myself and then I became the kid who went from never knowing what a grade on a paper meant, to making honor roll thereafter.

Last edited by Ericthebean; 10-04-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 AM

656 posts, read 975,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
The goal of an Iowa culture is an egalitarian one, that nobody is too special to be exempt from hard work, nobody is too rich to do the dirty work, yet at the same time, nobody should go to bed hungry who can't help it, but no poor person has any excuse to say "poor me".
This is an important point. This is almost a textbook definition of the Swedish (also Norwegian, I think) concept of "Lagom", which basically translates as "in moderation" or "just enough". Everybody pitches in and everyone gets to eat because nobody stuffs themselves. You share what you have with your neighbors in need, but they help out and pull their own weight in whatever way they can. I think part of this is an idea that came over with the first Scandinavian and German immigrants, and part just comes from the agricultural background; if your neighbor's harvest is bad, you help him out because next year things might be reversed. Wherever the idea comes from, I think it's served us well since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa