U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM

28,703 posts, read 42,080,427 times

Advertisements

Until the end of October I spent my entire life in Iowa. I don't care if you're pagan/gay/black/whatever else people get uptight about. Move in next door, be a good neighbor, and you're invited over for a beer or dinner.

Pretty simple.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 05:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,728,593 times
We call it Oskaloser. It is the center of white trashness in Mahaska County. Its biggest competitor is Ottumwa, 25 miles down from it on Highway 63

Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,807,243 times
I helped push a pagan's car out of a ditch the other day during the snowstorm. I wouldn't have known that, except for the pagan bumper stickers. He seemed like a nice enough guy, offered to buy us all pizza, which we declined since we were all anxious to get home.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 PM

How bad was that storm? We were busy and didn't check the weather like we have been and, of course, there's a storm!

And not to rub salt in the wound, but we have sat on the patio the last two days. Me in tee shirt and jeans with no shoes or socks. What a change for us!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:41 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,807,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How bad was that storm? We were busy and didn't check the weather like we have been and, of course, there's a storm!

And not to rub salt in the wound, but we have sat on the patio the last two days. Me in tee shirt and jeans with no shoes or socks. What a change for us!
The first major snow storm of the season hit on Monday about rush hour. A bunch of people tried to leave work early and got in a 20-car pile up (see photo at the link)

Then the winds kicked up and there were -30 chill factors. Schools were canceled today.

Five Injured in Crash Involving 20+ Vehicles on I-80 | whotv.com

I'm enjoying Iowa, but I have to admit that these temps are too extreme for me. I deal with 30s just fine but below that, especially below zero, I'm not overly happy. Added: it's -9 (actual temperature) right now -- this is MN weather! It should be in the 20s.

On the other hand, the sun was out today. (:

Last edited by Meemur; 01-07-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 PM

I. Do. Not. Miss. That. At. All.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:47 AM

9,411 posts, read 10,377,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Yes, here we hit a record high of 81! I wore sandals to work in honor of my Iowa friends who can only dream of such a thing.

Stay warm!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 AM

9,261 posts, read 17,911,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
We call it Oskaloser. It is the center of white trashness in Mahaska County. Its biggest competitor is Ottumwa, 25 miles down from it on Highway 63
When did they move Ottumwa to Mahaska County?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,618,750 times
Tek
Your note here reminded me to ask if the predicted snow materialized last week out there in Las Vegas? I didn't keep up with the weather news after a certain point at that time. If it did snow there, you probably sat tight, eh?
I did however see snow-covered palm tree pix from Southern California & know that LA was downright cold then and there was widespread snow out in the outer & somewhat higher suburban locales there.
Also my dad's wife told me about the near-freezing lows she had in Phoenix & how she enjoyed the views she had of snow on the mountain peaks surrounding The Valley.
My step sister in Denver has already had it with winter there & it's only early January. LOL!
Now that the jet stream has shifted against us & dropped the cold air southeastward, down here in Atlanta we fell to 12 degrees this morning but I bundled up & wore my Wisconsin-bought winter coat & associated other accessories & I was just fine when I walked up the hill to the office.
By the way Tek, I lost track of the December thread entry in which you included a link for me to what I think was called, "Lost Des Moines"'? Was that the name?
I do thank you though for finding that site.

Meemur
I hear your pain about the below zero temps. But, you've got a long ways to go to touch the possibilities & potential for rock bottom temps that can turn up in Iowa.
When I was in high school, it fell to my personal record coldest low of -27 degrees below zero not including the wind chill factor. The principal got on the school intercom & announced that for the first time ever, the dress code for girls was being altered to where they did not have to wear dresses to school but could instead wear slacks or jeans.
Dating myself a bit there, eh?

Last edited by atler8; 01-08-2015 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: puctuation errors

Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,618,750 times
Regarding "Oskalooser", using the phrase "White trashness" is painting with a pretty broad stripe, I'd say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa