U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM
 
1,941 posts, read 3,057,096 times
Reputation: 2716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Iowans are intelligent and hard working. Almost any public school system in Iowa will be superior to that in Oregon. Oskaloosa would not be my first pick by any means. If you are looking for a similar size town that is great, choose Pella. There are more jobs in Pella than there are citizens of Pella and it is like American before it was ruined by liberals.
Give me a break! So in Oregon public school sucks and the people are stupid and lazy? My SIL lives in Iowa and exhibits the same kind of provincial ignorance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
5,105 posts, read 6,845,196 times
Reputation: 9695
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The "January thaw" is coming 'round the corner & it looks to be a nice one &, at a minimum, is predicted to last several days.
I can't imagine that there is much deep snow cover up there now & during the thaw all traces of it will be gone.
The thaw has started: 40s today and full sun, with 50s tomorrow. I've been frantically shoveling the last of the ice away from the drains so I don't have a frozen mess in the backyard when temps drop back.

The house plants are waking up. My kitty has some light shedding. Spring is coming!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,643 posts, read 3,630,033 times
Reputation: 4642
Awesome news Meemur.. Enjoy the thaw while it lasts!
It was my experience that it was an extremely rare January that did not see a real thaw in Iowa.
Now is the time to order or get the out the seed catalogs for planning ahead & making those gardening plans!

I pointed out the Meredith Corporation presence there in Des Moines to you once last month Meemur, because I wondered if they might have some type of outreach programs available for the home gardener/landscaper.
Years ago something of what I'm thinking of was offered throughout the state by county "Extension Offices". I do not know if they exist anymore.
If they do, make use of them before the "king" does away with funding for them. LOL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 10:31 PM
 
8 posts, read 9,601 times
Reputation: 16
You ought to be proud to live in the heart of America. It is the main thing that you should consider. This state is far from Mexico hence you would not be concerned about traffickers. There is plenty of corn hence you would not be hungry. There is the center of USA hence if our country is attacked you are not concerned surrounded by other states from all the four sides. There is the same distance (nearly) to Canada and Mexico hence you could choose the country, which you wish to visit without considering the factor of distance you have to ride. There is a mysterious place where lived great Indians who named themselves Bah-Kho-Je. You might take a sip from their well of wisdom. This place is the former colony of France hence there are many Frenchmen and you know that Frenchmen are very sophisticated people who inherited their knowledge from ancient Rome hence you might inherit the knowledge of ancient Rome living in Iowa. There are many Christians and everybody knows that they help each other. What can I say more? A lot of things, but I have no time. These things have come to my head in the first row. Take care!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM
 
9,420 posts, read 10,403,261 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
The thaw has started: 40s today and full sun, with 50s tomorrow. I've been frantically shoveling the last of the ice away from the drains so I don't have a frozen mess in the backyard when temps drop back.

The house plants are waking up. My kitty has some light shedding. Spring is coming!

Enjoy it while you can! My experience has been that the January thaw is just a teaser, you still have to get through February!
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 10:10 AM
 
3,492 posts, read 5,301,735 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourChance View Post
You ought to be proud to live in the heart of America. It is the main thing that you should consider. This state is far from Mexico hence you would not be concerned about traffickers. There is plenty of corn hence you would not be hungry. There is the center of USA hence if our country is attacked you are not concerned surrounded by other states from all the four sides. There is the same distance (nearly) to Canada and Mexico hence you could choose the country, which you wish to visit without considering the factor of distance you have to ride. There is a mysterious place where lived great Indians who named themselves Bah-Kho-Je. You might take a sip from their well of wisdom. This place is the former colony of France hence there are many Frenchmen and you know that Frenchmen are very sophisticated people who inherited their knowledge from ancient Rome hence you might inherit the knowledge of ancient Rome living in Iowa. There are many Christians and everybody knows that they help each other. What can I say more? A lot of things, but I have no time. These things have come to my head in the first row. Take care!
This is the most stereotyping I've seen in a single post on CD.

People going hungry is a case of poverty, not proximity to food. I will disregard the rest of the racial stereotyping because it does not deserve a response.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 AM
 
3,492 posts, read 5,301,735 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
IMO February was always the worst month of the year in Iowa. The shortest on the calendar, but it felt the longest weather-wise.
Funny Elle, Dec/Jan always felt the longest to me. In February I felt like I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. By the end of February the days were usually cold, but no longer "stupid cold". IMO, April was usually the best month of the year for weather. There were usually about 30 to 40 days in Spring and 20 or so days in Fall that would have marvelous weather. It was just the rest of the year that drains the soul
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
5,105 posts, read 6,845,196 times
Reputation: 9695
Upper 40s today and 50s tomorrow (MLK Day).

Yes, I know cold weather will return. I'm making good use of the thaw.

Atler8, I was a master gardener in OH with the state extension. Funds had already just about dried up when I left, so I know about the money problems. I've been printing out resources from online, but the best method is actually trying things, like hoop houses. I think I have a design that will withstand the wind.

YourChance, there's more than corn here! I don't worry about starving.

Added: I love February! The house plants are awake and my mail box is awash with garden porn (aka seed catalogs).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,643 posts, read 3,630,033 times
Reputation: 4642
Yourchance
What are you talking about?
You have also posted in the Portland, Or. forum on a thread about making friends there.
Are you randomly picking locations & topics?

Last edited by atler8; 01-18-2015 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 11:35 PM
 
8 posts, read 9,601 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
This is the most stereotyping I've seen in a single post on CD.

People going hungry is a case of poverty, not proximity to food. I will disregard the rest of the racial stereotyping because it does not deserve a response.
Can you see further? If disasters take a place, you will not suffer from hungry as well as farther from this crop states. You need not to overpay for delivery of food. If you are a householder, you should to provide this kind of things. Take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
What are you talking about?
You have also posted in the Portland, Or. forum on a thread about making friends there.
Are you randomly picking locations & topics?
It is easy to explain. I have almost been everywhere. I have great experience. I can point some things to people. I notice a topic then I feel aware of it then I explain my point of view. I do not recognize any boards. I know some peculiarities of some places. This forum is my chance to give you some useful knowledge, this forum is YOURCHANCE (notice my nickname) to get some useful knowledge. I do not want to start my own blog or the same things. I want to advice people in this forum about everyday problems. Take care!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top