U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:36 PM

226 posts, read 222,436 times

Advertisements

It's much colder, I've been told, by former residents than Kansas City. Kansas City ain't all that nice but I guess it beats Iowa in spades. When I questioned how it could be that much worse not being that far away they said some geographical something I didn't understand so I just left it at that. Let's just say its not on my list of places to go. I guess if I were to meet Prince Charming and he summoned me to his castle there I might at least consider it, but not a shoe-in unless he's DARNED CHARMING.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:39 PM

226 posts, read 222,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I'm sorry, I can't understand enough of this post to make a complete response.

We are in America. Disasters don't stop us from getting food. In third world countries a disaster can cause people to go hungry. Our infrastructure ensures that those that can afford food at normal prices will continue to get food. The problem is poverty. People in poverty can't get food regardless.

What is it with people expecting disaster. Is a zombie apocalypse coming? Shy of a complete national melt down, people living near major cities will have no problem getting food. When I live in Iowa, services were more expensive because everything was over priced around Iowa City. It's not that way in Des Moines, but I wasn't living in Des Moines.

The cost of food isn't an issue in areas where jobs don't depend on your last name. I got away from the nepotism and my income has grown by leaps and bounds as I'm paid for my performance instead of being treated like an outsider.

JUST MY OPINION but I think the residents of New Orleans during Katrina days would argue that disasters can definitely preclude assistance and cause deprivation.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 PM

28,704 posts, read 42,137,656 times
Well that's was to be expected considering who was (sort of) running the country at the time.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 02-01-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
It's much colder, I've been told, by former residents than Kansas City. Kansas City ain't all that nice but I guess it beats Iowa in spades. When I questioned how it could be that much worse not being that far away they said some geographical something I didn't understand so I just left it at that. Let's just say its not on my list of places to go. I guess if I were to meet Prince Charming and he summoned me to his castle there I might at least consider it, but not a shoe-in unless he's DARNED CHARMING.
What?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,297,738 times
Yes, Iowa is significantly colder than KC. I had thought KC winters must suck also, but upon doing some weather research it turns out they are only slightly bad.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM

21,808 posts, read 38,218,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Yes, Iowa is significantly colder than KC. I had thought KC winters must suck also, but upon doing some weather research it turns out they are only slightly bad.
KC average temperatures in Winter can be deceptive because the "official" readings are at KCI airport in the NW corner of the metro where few people live. Areas south of I-70 and the south side of the metro are often 5F milder. KC has very mild winters, quite unlike the Midwest as they tend to see a "modified" chinook wind that brings the milder air aloft down to the surface level via southwest to west winds. Iowa does not see this type of feature because it tends to be common along and west of the Missouri River. Latitude is also an important factor as well.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 PM

Kansas City. We loved visiting there. So much so that every May we would go there for a long weekend birthday for me.

Every year. Every year we sat through tornadoes.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 AM

125 posts, read 226,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I first went to Iowa while on tour which an entertainment group out of NYC over 10 yrs ago. As an African-American female I had preconceived notions (which I now won't even dignify by repeating) about that place before getting there based on hearsay and my own racial perception. Of my entire group, I was the only Black person. We went to four different cities or towns. I must say that all over the state they were the nicest people and they won me over, without even trying, almost immediately. They were hospitable and sincere. Very good people in Iowa. It was a pleasure and honor to visit Iowa then. I have been back several times based on my first experience. Even if, God forbid I was to have a terrible experience or see horrible behavior at some point in the future in Iowa, I will know that it is definitely an isolated incident. I would never cast a negative light on the entire state. The people are courteous, respectful, kind, and God fearing. The land is beautiful with its rolling hills and greenery in the spring and summer. The food, which for some reason is rarely mentioned nationally, is very good and always tastes very fresh. I hope you and your family will love living in Iowa as much as I love visiting there every chance I get.
I was re-reading this thread without remembering that I had read it before, long ago. Then I ran across this post, which was definitely memorable and recognizable. What a nice post. Glad to read it again.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 PM

459 posts, read 351,578 times
Iowa is heaven compared to a lot of other states. I have lived in Iowa on and off for over eight years and always find myself moving back to Iowa. Iowans are some of the nicest people in the country. Oh, yes I know this thread is around six years old, but if you get to know the people a lot of them are pretty good.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,637,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Iowa is heaven compared to a lot of other states. I have lived in Iowa on and off for over eight years and always find myself moving back to Iowa. Iowans are some of the nicest people in the country. Oh, yes I know this thread is around six years old, but if you get to know the people a lot of them are pretty good.
Speaking of heaven, after seeing all these other states with their anti-litter campaigns (Don't Mess With Texas, Keep Alabama the Beautiful, etc) Iowa needs one... I've always thought Keep Iowa Heavenly (yeah, so maybe the Field of Dreams references are getting old, but it's at least one folks would be familiar with) would have a nice ring to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa