U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM

267 posts, read 1,130,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I haven't read anything bad ( crime, bad schools etc..) on Iowa yet, but I could possibly be attending University of Iowa next fall and I question what Iowa City is like.
You might want to search through the forum, there are plenty of threads about Iowa City. Also if you have specific questions that aren't answered, you should start your own thread so we Iowa Citians can help you out

But Iowa City is a great college town. There are a lot of bars (and with that comes a party school reputation, for good or for bad) and restaurants downtown, which intertwines with the campus. There are also small, quirky, independent stores that are interesting. There are some concerts (especially if you like jazz, or maybe metal) and occasionally a play or something will come through. If you haven't visited, I'd advise it, I think just seeing it would help you get an idea of whether or not it would suit you.

Crime isn't too bad (although many people will say it is) but it is on the rise, especially on the southeast side of town. If you're not wandering around downtown (or worse, on the southeast side) totally wasted at 3 AM, nothing will happen to you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 17,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXby7 View Post
Iowan's seem a bit more mellow than the crazy west coast grind. It's the I-5 corridor, I swear.
haha I'd definitely agree with that! I grew up in Des Moines and currently live here, but I spent a year in Grants Pass, OR. I have been to Oskaloosa, mostly just driving through. Small towns here in Iowa are very different than small-town Oregon. Iowa small towns feel much safer to me personally (of course Des Moines has its fair share of crime, but really no more so than any other city of its size.) I also feel that people a lot more laid-back and open-minded here, even in the small towns.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 AM

30 posts, read 120,049 times
(Most) of you all have been so helpful. I'm really excited for our move!

Portland & the wet coast are beautiful & amazing. Portland will always be one of my favorite places, but not to live. I'm sure we will fit in & be really happy in Osky.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 53,739 times
No I am not gay, but just making a point that in boystown/andersonville Chicago people are very liberal and open about being gay. That has moved into the burbs as well. Now that liberal mindset is nowhere in Iowa, no matter what some of the people here are saying.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM

413 posts, read 1,577,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
No I am not gay, but just making a point that in boystown/andersonville Chicago people are very liberal and open about being gay. That has moved into the burbs as well. Now that liberal mindset is nowhere in Iowa, no matter what some of the people here are saying.
Apparently you've never been to Iowa City then, or Davenport's Rainbow District. So much of what you're saying on these forums makes it seem like you've never even been to Iowa.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:25 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,682,050 times
Default a great state!

I first went to Iowa while on tour which an entertainment group out of NYC over 10 yrs ago. As an African-American female I had preconceived notions (which I now won't even dignify by repeating) about that place before getting there based on hearsay and my own racial perception. Of my entire group, I was the only Black person. We went to four different cities or towns. I must say that all over the state they were the nicest people and they won me over, without even trying, almost immediately. They were hospitable and sincere. Very good people in Iowa. It was a pleasure and honor to visit Iowa then. I have been back several times based on my first experience. Even if, God forbid I was to have a terrible experience or see horrible behavior at some point in the future in Iowa, I will know that it is definitely an isolated incident. I would never cast a negative light on the entire state. The people are courteous, respectful, kind, and God fearing. The land is beautiful with its rolling hills and greenery in the spring and summer. The food, which for some reason is rarely mentioned nationally, is very good and always tastes very fresh. I hope you and your family will love living in Iowa as much as I love visiting there every chance I get.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,242,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
I'm gay and live in Chicago, grew up in Iowa. Boystown and a few select areas are ok with outwardly showing you're gay in public ( I mean really that's why they exist, you find that in a small handful of neighborhoods in the country), but honestly in the rest of the city and certainly the suburbs I've never noticed it any more welcoming than a decent size city in Iowa. Iowans stuck me as a very open minded bunch. It's not a "liberal" thing, it's a tolerant and open minded thing.

Just had to point out I really disagree with the "that liberal mindset is nowhere in Iowa". Everyone has their opinions and views - that's perfectly fine. Just because everyone else on here has perceived Iowans differently than you is still valid though. I don't think you should say "no matter what some of the people here are saying", because honestly I don't think that's true at all.

I've split my years 20 in Iowa and 10 in Chicago. That's just my take.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,512,017 times
I hope I don't get in trouble for double-posting, but this one fits in almost as well here as in the thread where I originally posted it, I think (I honestly need to get back to bed):

When I scan the Iowa-bashing posts in this thread (many of which seem to have been written by people with fourth-grade reading/writing levels, typing with their tongues), I feel like I'm reading about some alien planet, not the state where I was born. I'm a native Iowan, and my background is upper-middle-class suburban, exactly like you'd find in any other upper-middle-class suburban areas of any other state. In fact, I live in the Washington, D.C. metro area now and am shocked at what a high proportion of the residents are dowdy, uncultured dolts who consider Applebee's (or worse - Rizzo's New Jersey Palace: Fine Steak and Seafood) to be find dining. I'm suffering from a bout of insomnia at the moment and would like to get back to bed as quickly as possible, otherwise this post would be book-length. I get the feeling that "Iowa" to a lot of posters here means "a particular small town in Iowa with which I've had a bad experience." I wonder, are there as many threads bashing small towns/rural areas in southern Minnesota? Southwest Wisconsin? Southeast South Dakota? Northeast Nebraska? Northeast Kansas? Northern Missouri (now that I could understand... heh heh heh... just kidding, MO, I love you), Northwest Illinois (where my mother's family's is from)? *sigh* Like another poster mentioned, to some extent, all rural areas in the U.S. are going to share certain characteristics.

Oh, and to the poster who asked about Iowa City, it's a funky, cool college town. I've never been to Oskaloosa, but to the OP - trust your own experiences there over the rantings of some random C-D poster of dubious credibility. (I think the Iowa section of C-D might attract more weird trolls than many of the other sub-forums.)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 12-21-2009 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM

89 posts, read 295,242 times
I found a good website for exploring Iowa. Silos&Smokestacks National Heritage Area : Homepage People who say Iowa is boring, are probably boring people.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:53 PM

135 posts, read 357,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
People who say Iowa is boring, are probably boring people.
Ya got that right !

Life is what ya make of it , the simplest things can become quite interesting with the right mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa