U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 AM

85 posts, read 291,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXby7 View Post
I've been frequenting the forums because we are moving from Portland, Oregon, to Oskaloosa IA in the next month or two.

I have found SO many threads that just rip Iowa apart, from crime in Des Moines to how horrible the schools are to how backward & narrow minded Iowan's are.

Please, tell me there is something good about Iowa. (Lol)

We are moving to be near my fiance's family, not to mention, the cost of living is EXTREMELY lower in Osky than in Portland. Here, a three bed house will run you close to $300. We can barely pay our bills on almost $65k/year.

I think we are making the right decision, but after reading time & again how boring Iowa is, how you aren't accepted unless you grew up here, etc, I'm almost second thinking it!
Oskaloosa is a pretty small place. You won't experience crime like there would be in a city the size of Des Moines. I personally don't think the schools are bad. But that's relative to area. I don't really have any experience with Oskaloosa schools, but we're not cranking out illiterates I assure you. As for being backward and narrowminded, I don't think we are. Obviously, being an Iowan I am kind of biased. But I brought my husband here and people were very friendly to him. I do personally know alot of transplants who are very happy here. Something I notice with people who are not so happy is difficulty making the first move in social situations. They'll mention being unwelcome but they will also mention keeping to themselves. Iowa is just like everywhere else in the sense that if you want friends, you have to be approachable and open.
One of the positive things about Iowa is that there is alot to do. You may have to drive to do it, but there are some fun day trips you could do here. There's also plenty of parks and recreation areas. The cost of living, as you've noticed, is pretty reasonable. I think Iowans have a small town friendliness, even in the biggest of our cities. And believe it or not, there are some fairly well educated people here. And I don't think we're backward. I mean, it's been weeks since I last had a date with my brother and I know no longer believe I was abducted by an alien

Bottom line is every person has different likes. If you can, come visit before you move. Iowa may be for you, or it may not be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 PM

125 posts, read 225,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I first went to Iowa while on tour which an entertainment group out of NYC over 10 yrs ago. As an African-American female I had preconceived notions (which I now won't even dignify by repeating) about that place before getting there based on hearsay and my own racial perception. Of my entire group, I was the only Black person. We went to four different cities or towns. I must say that all over the state they were the nicest people and they won me over, without even trying, almost immediately. They were hospitable and sincere. Very good people in Iowa. It was a pleasure and honor to visit Iowa then. I have been back several times based on my first experience. Even if, God forbid I was to have a terrible experience or see horrible behavior at some point in the future in Iowa, I will know that it is definitely an isolated incident. I would never cast a negative light on the entire state. The people are courteous, respectful, kind, and God fearing. The land is beautiful with its rolling hills and greenery in the spring and summer. The food, which for some reason is rarely mentioned nationally, is very good and always tastes very fresh. I hope you and your family will love living in Iowa as much as I love visiting there every chance I get.
What a nice post. I forwarded it to a friend of mine in Iowa. You are the first in this thread to mention the good manners of Iowans. I am originally from Minnesota and Iowa jokes aside, all the people I have met that are from Iowa have really nice manners. Very courteous and respectful as you say. And well educated and well read, which others have pointed out.

Neat that you are from New York and have made a point to visit Iowa. I live on the northwest coast now but I miss the Midwest people, enough to want to move back there sometimes. I really miss the wide open spaces of the midwest too, the landscape of home is very beautiful to me. The sky, the wooded ridges, the marshes . . the snowy winters and the bare trees. I am very far away from all that!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,204 times
Quote:
I've been frequenting the forums because we are moving from Portland, Oregon, to Oskaloosa IA in the next month or two.

I have found SO many threads that just rip Iowa apart, from crime in Des Moines to how horrible the schools are to how backward & narrow minded Iowan's are.

We are moving to be near my fiance's family, not to mention, the cost of living is EXTREMELY lower in Osky than in Portland. Here, a three bed house will run you close to $300. We can barely pay our bills on almost $65k/year.

I think we are making the right decision, but after reading time & again how boring Iowa is, how you aren't accepted unless you grew up here, etc, I'm almost second thinking it!
There is something good about Iowa, as that WilliMays dude keeps indicating Iowa is conservative. So true to form, like all other conservative states, it is subsidized by federal money" Iowa (LIKE ALL CONSERVATIVE LEECH STATES) gets more fed money that it dishes out, so Iowans can have those nice schools and freely bad mouth the big cities and big states who are doling out their tax money for the god fearing but ultimately lazy conservatives folks. Illinois and California may be broke, but they are still
bailing backward conservative states until these "hard working conservative" actually START WORKING HARD instead of Talking about it on the forums!

Well I am being too harsh, as numbers show that Eastern Iowa is paying lot more than it gets. Lo and behold, Eastern Iowa is actualy somewhat Liberal!!! What gives, Well looky here: It is once again them hard workin god fearin conservatives in Western Iowa that are get their subsidies!

So move in to Iowa, and when you get on I-80, remember it is them Nasty ole Liberal states that paid for that.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,663 times
I lived in the Oskaloosa area for over 10 years. I found the people very friendly. It's very small town so be prepared. There's lots to do if you can keep an open mind and give it a chance. Oskaloosa has the Mahaska County Fair - make sure you go. Almost every local town has a celebration in the summer with lots of parades. William Penn College is located there so there are educational opportunities. You're within 1 - 2 hours of easy driving from Des Moines (crime was never my concern) and Iowa City which has cultural as well as athletic events. There are numerous small county parks as well a couple of state parks close for camping, hiking, and fishing. One thing that was hard for me to get comfortable with after city living was how really safe it was for my kids to bike everywhere and/or walk. Go - enjoy - take advantage of every opportunity to get involved with the people. Iowans are great, friendly, and would give you the shirt off their backs.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,409,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedgunner View Post
There is something good about Iowa, as that WilliMays dude keeps indicating Iowa is conservative. So true to form, like all other conservative states, it is subsidized by federal money" Iowa (LIKE ALL CONSERVATIVE LEECH STATES) gets more fed money that it dishes out, so Iowans can have those nice schools and freely bad mouth the big cities and big states who are doling out their tax money for the god fearing but ultimately lazy conservatives folks. Illinois and California may be broke, but they are still
bailing backward conservative states until these "hard working conservative" actually START WORKING HARD instead of Talking about it on the forums!

Well I am being too harsh, as numbers show that Eastern Iowa is paying lot more than it gets. Lo and behold, Eastern Iowa is actualy somewhat Liberal!!! What gives, Well looky here: It is once again them hard workin god fearin conservatives in Western Iowa that are get their subsidies!

So move in to Iowa, and when you get on I-80, remember it is them Nasty ole Liberal states that paid for that.
Well Texas gets more farm subs than Iowa - and it's about the top dog of conservative states.

Really though Iowa's farm subsidies are only around 1.7% of the state's GSP.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,847,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedgunner View Post

Well...as long as you're not bitter about it.

One fundamental flaw in your rant is that schools, for the most part, are locally funded through property taxes.

But let's not let facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 AM

2,777 posts, read 4,946,116 times
Quote:
See, I liked Des Moines when we were there too. And I didn't come close to seeing the whole city but the pics I've seen of it show me that it's beautiful. And as far as schools go, well, hello Iowa Tests of Basic Skills!

I've found posts on here & other websites, just from random searches like "moving to Iowa" and such.

Funny side story... We went to some all night breakfast place after our flight landed, and I forgot my sons bottle in the car... My father in law wouldn't let me walk to the car alone at 10pm because we were in the 'bad' part of Des Moines. Heehee. It was funny to me, considering I take public transit all over Portland. Lol.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I'm really getting excited to move to Iowa! Iowan's seem a bit more mellow than the crazy west coast grind. It's the I-5 corridor, I swear.

It's kind of funny how different everyone's preference is on this. :-) I am from Nebraska, not far across the border from Iowa- and I can say that the people all over that region are really nice, and it's generally a good area overall that catches a lot of flack from people on the coasts who don't know anything about it.
However for my wife and I, we had the opposite viewpoint as what you mention- we were tired of the featureless landscape, the cold winters, the lack of much to do even in the bigger "cities" such as Omaha or Des Moines, so we moved in December to the Seattle area. We love the life that exists on the I-5 corridor, the things to do, the diversity, the excitement, the more mild weather, and the absolutely beautiful scenery. We have no regrets leaving that area. And so far the people here in the NW, at least here in the Seattle area they seem very friendly, not a whole lot different than they were back in the Midwest.

Anyway, everyone has their own preference, and there are definitely good things about Iowa and the surrounding areas despite what some may say. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,544 times
Quote:

Nothing is bad about Iowa. It is the migrator that gives us the bad name. If we are backward, just think of all the opportunity you have!!! DesMoines is far enough away from Oskalosa. Schools used to be GREAT but now.... Portland is beautiful, but Iowa is Heaven.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 PM

52 posts, read 110,492 times
For all the NEGATIVE NELLYS OUT THERE, WHO WOULD HATE ANY PLACE THEY LIVED IN, READ THIS

Munson: Couple moves to Iowa - sight unseen | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register
Munson: Couple moves to Iowa - sight unseen

By KYLE MUNSON • kmunson@dmreg.com • April 4, 2010
Cedar Falls, Ia. - Would you have the guts to cram everything you own into a rental truck and move halfway across the country to another state without so much as an initial visit?

I'm not talking about some destination where you might guess what you're getting in return for your bravado - a beach house in California, a high rise in Manhattan, a condo on a golf course in Florida.

Imagine a more anonymous spot such as ... the middle of Iowa.

Graham and Joanna Ashe drove a Penske rental truck in February from Chapel Hill, N.C., into snow-packed Cedar Falls with no concept of our state besides corn.

[IMG]res://c:\program files (x86)\common files\aol\1241454729\ee\services\desktopBrowser\ve r0_2_58_1\apopup.dll/rmblock.gif[/IMG]

"Iowa? Really?" Joanna, 22, says was her first reaction. "I just couldn't imagine in three weeks from when he was interviewed that we'd be moving to Iowa."

The lure: Graham's new job as an account executive at Learfield Sports. He has an office in the University of Northern Iowa's UNI-Dome, where he helps sell Panthers signage and sports sponsorship rights.

He was interviewed for and accepted the job at corporate headquarters in Plano, Texas.
"I don't think we really ever could grasp what we were doing," says Graham, 23. "I'd never even been to the Midwest."

As a native Iowan born in Cedar Falls, I never had to make a similar choice to move here. Neither have most of you; more than 72 percent of us are native Iowans, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

My dad was wrapping up his education degree at UNI in the summer of 1972, when I was born. When he finished student teaching a few months later and landed a job in Council Bluffs, the Munson family was off to southwest Iowa.
In revisiting places from my past on an "Iowa roots" tour for this column, my birthplace seems the logical starting point.

And if I'm going to find a fresh perspective on what it means to be Iowan, the Ashes seem like fair game.

Graham and Joanna, natives of North Carolina, graduated last spring from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. They were married in November in Asheville, against a backdrop of the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains.
From the balcony of their third-floor apartment in Cedar Falls, the only mountain on the horizon is the UNI-Dome, Iowa's largest arena.

So far, Graham and Joanna wholeheartedly endorse the stereotype of Iowans as "very nice, very welcoming."

"They seem to like our accent pretty well," Joanna says. (She and Graham noticed that their North Carolinian pronunciation of "Waterloo," with an emphasis on the first syllable, doesn't match how Iowans draw out "loo.")
A love of fried foods is common to both states, except that the Ashes yearn to find fried okra on local restaurant menus.

"Sweet tea is pretty scarce up here," Graham adds.

Toss a little more okra into the mix and we might have an opportunity to convert the couple into permanent residents. Joanna had planned to try out for a role in a new production of "The Music Man" at a Cedar Falls theater before vacation plans got in the way.

Nothing quite screams Iowan more than a willingness to portray Marian the librarian.
Joanna already refers to herself and Graham as the "Iowa Couple" on her blog, "Not-Quite-So-Snowy Adventures from the Midwest." (She launched the blog in February as "Snowy Adventures ..." before the spring thaw.)

The Ashes got a taste of the worst Iowa winter pretty much since snow was invented. But Graham was given fair warning during his job interview.

"We tried to paint a picture of northern Iowa, specifically Cedar Falls in Iowa in January," says Chris Andrews, general manager for Learfield in Cedar Falls and Graham's boss. Chris, who was born in Missouri but attended high school in Keokuk, detailed an entire winter wardrobe for Graham, scarf, gloves and all.
Once here, the Ashes got to witness the rise of UNI basketball player Ali Farokhmanesh to the status of Sports Illustrated poster boy.

Go figure: Graham and Joanna, diehard Tarheels fans, moved from one of the most intense and storied college basketball states straight into the heart of the UNI Panthers' March Madness Cinderella story.

The basketball hoopla in Cedar Falls aside, Iowans "don't seem as concerned with a fast-paced lifestyle," the Ashes say. Life in North Carolina was more "100 miles a minute."
It seems harder for them to find other young married couples without kids.

But here's a good sign: Graham and Joanna took over the final months of an apartment lease when they moved here in February, and they just decided to renew it for the year ahead.

They say that they're already planning to attend the Iowa State Fair as well as a baseball game or two in Cedar Rapids.

Just maybe the Ashes are Iowans in the making - even if they haven't been here long enough to get a handle on the essence of what it means to be Iowan. And even if their bold, blind move to Cedar Falls seems a tad ... well, un-Iowan.
Let's embrace their adventurous spirit as a fine addition to our collective Iowa outlook.

For his part, Chris Andrews says Iowans tend to be "proud and hard-working" and cherish their own "values system," but ultimately he also lacks a precise definition.

"If you can tell me, that'd be better," he says. "I don't know that I have it."

In good time, Chris. This Iowa roots tour has just begun.

Kyle Munson can be reached at (515) 284-8124 or kmunson@dmreg.com. Also connect with him on a Facebook fan page (Kyle Munson's Iowa), Twitter (@KyleMunson) and his blog (DesMoinesRegister.com/KyleMunson).
</DIV>

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/wp-content/plugins/google-buzz-button-for-wordpress/images/google-buzz.png (broken link)

Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 PM

36 posts, read 105,689 times
Whoever is ripping up Des Moines about crime should be shot. The crime index here is about 450. Surrounding cities: Minneapolis: 700 Omaha: 600 Kansas City: 800 Chicago: 700. You tell me bub. The schools are seriously effed-up though. Budget cuts are ripping them apart. But that's just Des Moines Oskaloosa and other small towns are just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa