U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 16,190 times

Advertisements

duh, Iowa has some of the best schools in the country because of their size. I went to Green Mountain-Garwin High school in Garwin, Iowa, and my grad class was only 34 ppl.
But my parents have told me some icky stories from when they lived in the poor area of DSM, so I guess cities are like cars, every company puts out a few lemons, just as every state can crank out some ghettos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM

4,805 posts, read 21,147,667 times
Size and good aren't the same thing. Same for wealth and good (or conversely, poor and bad).

I think its pretty wrong to call poor people 'lemons'. My father and grandfather are Lincoln High graduates and both led honorable and productive lives. They are not lemons.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,330 times
Having lived in Wisconsin most of my life (22 years) and visiting my sister who lives in Portland Oregon, and visiting Oskaloosa on a regular basis I can tell you that you will be pleasantly surprised, if you are ok living in a small town. Osky is very clean and well kept, unlike Ottumwa (where I live) and is a little wealthier from what I can see. The downtown actually has storefronts that you would want to shop in. People can be seen downtown during the day and its not a ghostyard like some towns. You wouldnt be too far away from Des Moines which has some culture but not on the scale of Portland.

The cost of living here is ridiculusly cheap, taxes arent too high and your dollar will go a long way, but by that same token dont expect a lot of great services either (you get what you pay for) and when it comes to roads Iowa's really sucks...at least compared to Wisconsin's which has WAY more taxes.

The winters here are mild by comparison to Wisconsins, and by Portland standards you wont be too cold either but you will get some snow. If you have kids be prepared to have them get a lot of snow days (we had 9 this year) not because the snow is bad...but because the roads suck and the communities down here dont have the same capabilities of cities further north. Again you get what you pay for and in Iowa that isnt much.

Crime? Ive never felt safer and I live in a seedier part of Ottumwa so anywhere in Oskaloosa will be really safe by comparison. 65k will go a long way...I make around 30k and am single and have enough to be more than comfortable. A 2 bedroom here with heat and hot water and garbage goes for under 500 a month to give you an idea of how cheap Iowa is.

People here are friendly but there isnt a whole lot to do, so be prepared to be bored. I know I am right now. Iowa has a lot of pretty areas but you have to work to find them because farming is so dam previlent. Lakes and forests, not a whole lot but the areas that have been preserved are great. Summers I find unbearable...but Im used to waether thats 800 miles north of here. Fall spring and winter...a walk in the park...though people here like to ***** about winter...they have no idea how good they have it.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 AM

414 posts, read 1,046,249 times
To the "OP" You're not the only one considering moving to Iowa. I'm moving there this month in less than 3 weeks. My girlfriend lives there is the reason why I'm moving there. I'm from Seattle which I've been here for 10 years so it's time for me to move on and find a new road in my life and check out new places rest of the USA. I'm going to drive to California to visit my parents for about a week then drive to Iowa being the final destination with a total of roughly 2,800 miles of driving. I do not care much about the politics so I'm good to go.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,244 times
Default boring.........

why are you moving from portland?

are you trying to go back to the stone age....
good luck and have fun in a small town.......

i can tell ya....you better have a car otherwise......the bus system in des moines, ia is terrible.....

Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,854,447 times
So sad to see one living with such a negative attitude that it blinds them to the positive side of things.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:55 PM

712 posts, read 1,279,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.kahl View Post
Negative people have negative experiences and try to ensure everyone else is sharing them. I feel sorry for them. Just be positive and easy-going
It is not normal to be 100% positive all the time. One has to have a balance of both negative and positive experiences, comments and opinions. Otherwise you are fooling yourself.

After all, how do you know what positive is if you don't have negative?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 PM

219 posts, read 577,607 times
LOL crime in Des Moines! That's a hoot. I feel safe walking downtown Des Moines at night by myself, and I am a young woman. I've never had a problem and I have lived here my whole life. There are a few shady parts of town but they're small and what happens there usually stays there. Iowa has great schools, great community colleges, and great universities. And as far as "backward" people... I don't even know what that means. You're going to find weird, annoying people anywhere I guess and the thing about Iowa is, since there are less people here and we're all more spread out, the chances of you coming into contact with "backward" people is a lot more seldom than most places. There is next to no traffic. The air is crystal clear. Yeah, the weather can suck pretty bad at times. One day it could be snowing, the next day the humidity is swealtering. But you get a genuine taste of every season and you don't find that everywhere. There are bad things to be said about it, sure. But if you're looking for a nice, safe, clean place to raise a family and to send your children to good schools, and to enjoy cheaper prices than what you're probably used to, then it's a good choice. I grew up here. I grew up listening to so many people around me complain and whine about how boring it is, ect. A lot of those people moved away. But you know what... most of them came BACK.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,556 times
Seeing that this thread started back in december, you are probally already here. In my experience, I grew up in this state, Cedar Falls, to be exact, and joined the armed services and did some traveling for the 4 years I was in. I have lived in Minneapolis, Orlando, San Diego, Portland ( swan island ) and Seattle. For my age it was fun living in those larger cities. Alot of activities to partake in and nobody knew who I was for those 4 years so it really didn't matter. After my 4 years were up I enrolled in a 4 year state run university and used up my GI bill. My first year there, 93, was when they had the big flood in Ames and Des Moines as well as the rest of the affected cities. I moved back around the Cedar Falls area and now live in Waverly, which was flooded. I am alot older now but can always find things for my family to do. I suppose if you come from a busy bustling city and then move to one that is much slower then it would seem lame. Iowa is always trying to change itself into something that would attract younger families so be persistant and do some travelling around the state and maybe you will find something that will challenge you. One final note, buy flood insurance.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 AM

5 posts, read 8,294 times
Well... I moved to Iowa because my husband is from here. AND now we are moving again...because I just couldnt ajust well to living out here. I would say that it was mostly the people that just rubbed me raw. But there are posistives about this area. I have no idea who told you the school suck but they are very very mistaken! That is one of the reasons we moved out here in the first place.
PRO- Schools...Teachers are great, high standards, great specials programs, etc... LOVE the SCHOOL SYSTEM!!!
- Safety, most cities are going to have crime... I know for a fact that Des Moines, Souix City & Iowa City don't even compare 1 tenth of portland, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Saint Louis, etc... I live in a resort town on the border of South Dakota and Minneasota. Very little crime. Plus in a small town everyone know's eachother and if something seems out place it wont be but two buzzez of bees wing untill you know about it. SO safety, YES its great don't worry

My Cons (why I just couldn't live here anymore)
- Livestyle is so slow, quite, and not exciting in the least bit. Its also very lonely, I mean lonely. If you are moving to a smaller town make sure you know someone who has a few friends already or you will be by yourself with no one to talk to and nowhere to go... Makes things very isolating.
- People are DIFFERENT... They work hard! I mean hard, plus they seem to have a little cranky attitude toward people from outside areas who don't want to work until the croak and get burried. That's right, don't talk about RETIREMENT>>> cause that just isn't an option they will classify you as lazy right of the bat! Plus don't do anything wrong, say anthing that might be wrong, don't walk the wrong way, and don't be happy for at least a year just to avoid GOSSIP... YOU want to be far way from that! Yup, just different kind of people, and clicky doesn't even begin it!
- If you like watching corn grow, fishing, biking, or boating BY YOURSELF because people just dont "hang out" and kick back with others then you will love it. Plus if you have a young child, make sure you work so they can go to school or they will be just as lonely as you are.

Anyhoo goodluck!

28 more days till I move back down south!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa