Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 PM

14 posts, read 57,216 times

Advertisements

Even though Iowa may have been a blue state in the last election I can say that most of the people here are very conservative and do not like the crap that goes on in other states. They just don't put up with it here. If you are a flaming liberal then you will hate Iowa. If you are normal you will love most parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times
unless you're in Iowa City, then a flaming liberal would be pretty happy.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,531,793 times
Your location in Oskaloosa is right between Iowa City (where the U. of Iowa is) and Des Moines. Perfect location as you have a short ride (an hour?) to each city to party, shop, cultural activities, whatever.
Both are great cities and you can find this out if you punch the cities names into the financial magazines like Forbes, Money, Kiplinger. All those magazines rate both cities super high.
You should love where you are I would think.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,569,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
Even though Iowa may have been a blue state in the last election I can say that most of the people here are very conservative and do not like the crap that goes on in other states. They just don't put up with it here. If you are a flaming liberal then you will hate Iowa. If you are normal you will love most parts.

I'd have to say that most people in Iowa are not "very conservative". More like "middle of the road" types. If I had to put a name on most of the people I know, I'd call them blue collar Democrats.

It's one of the reasons I love Iowa. They legalized gay marriage and very few people made any kind of noise. That prob'ly shocked people on the coasts.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 AM

4,826 posts, read 6,833,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'd have to say that most people in Iowa are not "very conservative". More like "middle of the road" types. If I had to put a name on most of the people I know, I'd call them blue collar Democrats.

It's one of the reasons I love Iowa. They legalized gay marriage and very few people made any kind of noise. That prob'ly shocked people on the coasts.
The people didn't legalize gay marriage. A judge did. When it eventually goes to vote you'll find out this state is a lot more conservative than you think.

Just stating facts. I'm not posting any pro or anti gay sentiments here.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,531,793 times
I live here now and was raised here--although left for over 40 years--and I have to agree with Dport7674 that Iowa is really composed of blue collar Democrats. Not so conservative really at all.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 AM

267 posts, read 1,227,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I live here now and was raised here--although left for over 40 years--and I have to agree with Dport7674 that Iowa is really composed of blue collar Democrats. Not so conservative really at all.
I think a lot of western Iowa is very conservative, but for the most part I agree with you about eastern Iowa. Politically, Iowa is basically divided by I-35.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,569,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The people didn't legalize gay marriage. A judge did. When it eventually goes to vote you'll find out this state is a lot more conservative than you think.

Just stating facts. I'm not posting any pro or anti gay sentiments here.

I'm not saying voters won't vote it down, because California voters did. But the fact that there were no real protests or any kind of noise making at all proves to me that Iowa is a lot less conservative than the people might think.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM

14 posts, read 57,216 times
I think they are very conservative compared to larger states. From most of the posts I could tell most have never been outside of Iowa if you think it's a liberal state.

Newsflash; it's not.

And it's huge compliment to call Iowa a conservative state. Liberal states are in such financial turmoil from bad liberal decisions over the last 10 years. California is a perfect example of liberal whackos gone wild. Now they will be broke for the next 100 years.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 20,336 times
We have sayings about our weather here in Iowa such as if you do not like it wait and it will change. I moved to California when I was young and moved back to Iowa because it is where I wanted to raise my children.

Living in a smaller community you know who people are and they know you, which sometimes is not a good thing but it is when you have children and you get to know their friends and you know their parents. That is some of what it would be in a town the size of Oskaloosa and not so in Des Moines.

Oskaloosa always has some of the best gas prices when I travel to Iowa City which is also not all that far from Oskaloosa. In a small town also not far away they hold a hugh flee market a couple a times a year which is fun to go and see what they have to offer.

Also in Iowa you will read lots of accident reports about suicidal deer that live in Iowa. I always wonder why hunters just do not put headlights on the end of their guns and the deer would just run in front of them.

If you like to boating and camping Oskaloosa is also not that far away from Iowa's largest man made lake which is names Rathbun. Recently a new state resort was built along its shore.

If I find that I am bored I sometimes go for a long drive stopping in small towns and checking out antique stores and out of the way museums.

Most of all I find most everyone to be friendly with a few characters mixed in. Most importantly no matter where you live home is really where your heart is and sometimes where you hang your hat.

Hope you find Iowa as good a place to live and raise your family as I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa