Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,062 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are looking into moving to Iowa, Im currently going to school to be a registered nurse and would like to transfer classes, my husband has a carreer in Welder and we have a 5 year old daughter that will be starter Kindergarten next fall. We need some ideas on where would be the best place for us to start looking. We are def. interested in a good school district for our daughter and a safe community also something that would be sufficent for our carreers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM

267 posts, read 1,231,733 times
Well, it depends on which kind of degree you are looking to achieve, first of all. I found a list of all of the Iowa colleges that offer nursing degrees here: Iowa Board of Nursing
They are really spread out all over the state, so knowing what program you are looking for (if not a couple of colleges you'd like to apply to) would be helpful in choosing a location for you.

Another factor to consider is the size of town you are looking for. There are simply too many towns that meet your criteria for me to list them, as I would assume you could find welding jobs in many places? To be honest, I don't know much about the welding field, so I could be way off with that. Some of the best schools in the state are probably in the larger metros, and it may be easier to find jobs there as well, but if you're looking for a smaller town, you may be able to make that work too, or commute. You really have a lot of options.

If you can be a little more specific, I (and I'm sure others as well) would be happy to give you some ideas!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM

23 posts, read 77,081 times
www.iowajobs.org could help in finding openings for welders. It's not exhaustive, but it's a good start. I doubt it would be difficult to find a job for him, especially if he's certified.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:20 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnR1 View Post
Me and my husband are looking into moving to Iowa, Im currently going to school to be a registered nurse and would like to transfer classes, my husband has a carreer in Welder and we have a 5 year old daughter that will be starter Kindergarten next fall. We need some ideas on where would be the best place for us to start looking. We are def. interested in a good school district for our daughter and a safe community also something that would be sufficent for our carreers.

Iowa City and Des Moines have nursing schools. Unemployment in both towns is relatviely low compared to the rest of the country. Iowa City is a smaller University town. Des Moines probably has more opportunites for a welder, as in addition to Des Moines, Pella (Vermeer, Pella Windows, ect) has industry nearby. Schools in both towns are very good. Iowa City used to be a very nice college town, but rougher elements from Chicago have moved into some neighborhoods really changing the town.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM

267 posts, read 1,231,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Iowa City and Des Moines have nursing schools. Unemployment in both towns is relatviely low compared to the rest of the country. Iowa City is a smaller University town. Des Moines probably has more opportunites for a welder, as in addition to Des Moines, Pella (Vermeer, Pella Windows, ect) has industry nearby. Schools in both towns are very good. Iowa City used to be a very nice college town, but rougher elements from Chicago have moved into some neighborhoods really changing the town.
There are other options besides IC and DM though, there are nursing programs across the state.

And Iowa City is still nice. Yes, there is more crime on the southeast side than there has been, but the town is still a great place to live. Compared to most cities, Iowa City is ridiculously safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa