Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 PM

42 posts, read 162,910 times

Advertisements

We are strongly considering moving to northeast Iowa from elsewhere in the state, and we are especially interested in Decorah. I've done a fair amount of research on the area and have been visiting several times a year since 2003.

While the area is well-known for its tourism, I am aware that there are several manufacturing companies there as well. I've been chatting with locals that I run into, trying to find out which of these companies are honest and reputable and if there are any that are kind of shady. My husband has many years of management experience, but recently got "burned" by an unethical employer where we live now, and he is really gun-shy now about applying to places he hasn't heard of.

We're not picky about housing (own or rent), we never had kids so the schools are a non-issue, and we already know about the amenities. I am a "trailing spouse" specializing in seasonal outdoor work and will probably have an easier time finding a job up here than where we currently live. So at least for now it's all about finding employment for him.

I keep hearing really great stuff about Deco, and one person said Gemini was good, but that's about it. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 AM

396 posts, read 512,335 times
Have you checked out employee reviews for companies on Glassdoor.com? You'll have to register to view all of them.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm registered, but to access everything, they want people to give out way more info than I am willing to disclose. Otherwise, it's a very interesting site.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:34 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
I can't think of much manufacturing in the Decorah area. Maybe some small shops?? Winnebago is in Forest City, which is more than an hour away. Charles City, also about an hour away, has Cambrex, Thor, and Hawkeye. Dubuque is about 2 hours away, and has some more manufacturing options. La Crosse, WI is also about an hour away and has more options.

You might look at Decorah Now: Building Local Community Through Arts, Cultural, & Recreation Events, and the Exchange of Goods and Services to see if any potential jobs might be listed, or to post your own resumes.

Also, right now housing in Decorah is very hard to find and very expensive. It is a super competitive market right now, even for rentals. You might do better to look for jobs in NE IA in general, and then see what housing you can find nearby or within a reasonable commute once you find a job.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:23 PM

396 posts, read 512,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide-eyed View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm registered, but to access everything, they want people to give out way more info than I am willing to disclose. Otherwise, it's a very interesting site.
Really? All I had to supply was a valid email address. You can get a throwaway one at gmail.com or yahoo.com without using your real name.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Also, right now housing in Decorah is very hard to find and very expensive. It is a super competitive market right now, even for rentals. You might do better to look for jobs in NE IA in general, and then see what housing you can find nearby or within a reasonable commute once you find a job.

Good luck!
You are not the first person to state that Decorah housing is expensive. The locals I talked to also said that. However, I am finding the prices to be very similar to where we live now, so I guess "expensive" is relative.

We are also looking in NE Iowa in general. It definitely helps that both of us are already used to driving 25-35 miles to get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: