U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 16,596 times

Advertisements

My husband's company may offer him a position in Cedar Rapids, about midway between Hiawatha and Marion.

We are from Phoenix, Arizona and we have a 9 month old son. We are ready to get out of Phoenix to somewhere that is more family friendly, lower crime rate, better schools, less air polution and traffic, etc. We were thinking of moving to Flagstaff, Arizona, but this opportunity to move to CR has presented itself. We are attracted to the small-town feel.

What are the pros and cons of cedar rapids? What is there to do on the weekends? What are the cleanest, safest neighborhoods? Any suggestions or tips for someone coming from a big city? Are people friendly?

We will have no family or friends in IA so I'm hoping I'll be able to meet a few nice people. We don't "party" much, but we do like to dine and have outings (parks, nature walks, museums, attractions, festivals, etc) on the weekends. Does CR have much to offer? I realize it will be a big change. I will be sad to see the mountains go, but I'm looking forward to seeing green trees and different seasons! (xmas is days away, and I still don't need to wear a jacket to go outside!)

Thank you for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 02:00 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,400,595 times
Default Cedar Rapids ...

I moved to Cedar Rapids 15 years ago from southern California (Thousand Oaks), where I had lived all my life. My kids have gone to school here, K-12, and are now in college. Cedar Rapids has been an excellent place to raise our kids ... very safe and the public schools are excellent here. As far as things to do, Cedar Rapids does offer some good dining and all the typical "chain" restaurants. Iowa City (25 miles south) offers very good dining also. There are small events throughout the year, plays, musicals, farmer's markets, the "Kernals" baseball team, ice hockey (all on a much smaller scale), Civil War reenactments. The neighbors have always been friendly, but not too overly friendly. I've met some of the most honest and hard-working people here, and when you need help, Iowans are always there. I feel I can always count on my neighbors in hard times. That is just "Iowa."

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM

5 posts, read 10,316 times
Cedar Rapids is a very industrial type of town,must of the town is run downed, white people seem like the minority there. I would suggest to relocate to Iowa City (University of Iowa college town) or Coralville both are about 20 minutes south, both would be better to rasie a family. I lived in Havasu before coming to IA. you will be ok the winters are cold and icy.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 AM

84 posts, read 268,911 times
Moving to Iowa sounds like it COULD be ideal for you. However - pay attention to cjsykes (the last poster) said ... Cedar Rapids is VERY industrial - so cosmetically, many parts of the city aren't very friendly to the eyes. That's not to say there aren't beautiful neighborhoods in Cedar Rapids or nice communities surrounding the area. I personally think that is the biggest drawback to Cedar Rapids, it looks rather depressing when driving around most of the town. I know there are plenty of nice friendly people there - most parts of Cedar Rapids are safe, and with Iowa City near I know there is usually quite a bit going on. Obviously on much of a smaller scale than Phoenix. It will take a lot of getting used to, just going to be honest.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:30 AM

84 posts, read 268,911 times
As far as white people seeming like the minority? Idk what you're talking about cjsykes ... The town is at least 85% white.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,428,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsykes View Post
Cedar Rapids is a very industrial type of town,must of the town is run downed, white people seem like the minority there. I would suggest to relocate to Iowa City (University of Iowa college town) or Coralville both are about 20 minutes south, both would be better to rasie a family. I lived in Havasu before coming to IA. you will be ok the winters are cold and icy.

Umm....haha. Where did this come from? The Cedar Rapids metro is 94% white! It's one of the whitest cities in the entire country.

I also wouldn't call Cedar Rapids a "very industrial" type of town or run down. Most of the run down areas of the city were actually wiped out by the floods, but a large majority of the city to the east, west and north are very well kept and new. According to the latest data, only around 15% of the cities jobs are in manufacturing. 55% is in Government, medical, professional and business services, education, information and hospitality.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 PM

154 posts, read 855,865 times
I live in Iowa now and I'm from Northern CA. I also lived in Flagstaff, AZ for 3 years. The biggest difference between Phoenix and Cedar Rapids is the WEATHER. I have a 3 yr old daughter and didn't want her to go to school in CA or AZ. My husband is from Iowa, that's why we're here. The schools here are some of the best in the country. Cost of living is extremely reasonable. Of course the Midwest is different from the Southwest, but as far as making a living and raising a family, the Midwest is a better choice in my opinion. I love Phoenix but let's face it, the schools there are not good. Yes, it's a little more boring here, but with kids, we don't really go out on the town all the time anyway. My only real complaint is the COLD WEATHER. It's true that you do get used to it after awhile, and finally realize that the jackets we wore in the West just ain't gonna cut it here! Invest in a long down trench coat and tell your husband to accept the job. Kids LOVE the snow here, my daughter can't wait to ice skate on the pond! It's also very safe here compared to Phoenix. : )

Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 AM

4,669 posts, read 7,978,947 times
We lived in the Phoenix area earlier this year, and, as you well know, experienced the hottest summer on record for the Valley...it was SO miserable! We had to go truck shopping because Hubby's truck got stolen right after we moved there, typical for Pheonix, and when we went shopping along the Bell Rd. strip of dealerships in Peoria we met a car salesman who was from Iowa. All he could talk about, once he learned that we were from Michigan, was how much he hated Phoenix, how miserable he and his gf were there, and how he couldn't wait to get home to Iowa. He mentioned that he would never complain about the winter weather again.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 15,111 times
i lived in iowa for 10 years, mostly in the IC area, have lots of friends that live in and around CR. it is much more "industrial" than IC. It was hit hard by the floods of 2008 and parts of it are still not fully recovered. I think for a midwestern town of it's size that it has great park/trail system. Iowa schools are ranked consistently in the top 15 nationally. I think very friendly, hard working sums up most of the iowans that I know. I think you could look at some towns outside of CR like Mt vernon (small liberal arts college town). Cr does have the hockey and baseball teams, which are always a lot of fun! And U of I is just down the road for all the BIG 10 sporting events you could ever want or need, but keep in mind they are Hawkeye crazy there! Oh and the weather is awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or