U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,425,513 times

Advertisements

^ yeah that's a good point. A few people I know in Iowa are a little intimidated driving around in central Chicago, but I don't think anyone really thinks that much about going to the Twin Cities or Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, etc.

I've never seen anyone INTIMIDATED by the Twin Cities. I mean most people travel around often on vacations, business, visiting people, etc. It's not like Iowans sit around in some pre-historic mentality and are afraid of anything that's not rural.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM

4,779 posts, read 6,510,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
What is the general Iowa preception and attitudes towards the Twin Cities?

Being a large growing metropolitan area with more people that all of Iowa over in the next state, do people in Iowa regard the twin cities with a certain kind of apprehensiveness?

Do many Iowans feel intimidated by the area, claustrophobic, thinking of it as being an island in the midwest?

I'm from the Chicago suburbs. The Chicago area is almost three times as big as the Twin Cities area. But the Twin Cities are a major National player among US. urban areas.

How do Iowans feel about the Twin cities?

Do ya'll get cable television in minnieapalass??? Chicago suburbs?? What the hell is a suburbs???

Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 AM

31 posts, read 95,712 times
Honestly, Most of the people I know here in the Eastern part of the state have barely been to Des Moines let alone the Twin Cities. I am from Burlington and lived in the Quad Cities and Waterloo. Until I moved to W'loo the Twin Cities was not even on my radar; and obviously living in the QCA and Burlington the closest metros are Chicago or STL. I prefer STL but that is where my family is originally from. Unless you live in the extreme northern part of the state the Twin Cities will not have much relevance and depending on where you live in the state Des Moines won't either.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 PM

84 posts, read 268,895 times
I view it as a clean area with a lot of things to do ... It's a 3 hour drive up the interstate. I view it as my first option if I want to live in a large city close to home ... I know a few of my friends who feel the same.

As far as intimidating, I'm sure a lot of Iowans do - but I'm sure a lot of rural minnesotans do too. It's all what you're used to.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,728,984 times
I moved to Des Moines from Minneapolis and I don't see a reason for Iowans to feel intimidated. Although I have only been here for a couple weeks, the quality of life I have in Des Moines is far superior.

It takes me about 15 minutes to get to work here, in Minneapolis, sometimes 1 hour each way

I found a better job here than any job I was offered in Minneapolis in the last couple months

Overall, people here in Des Moines are NICER than people in Minneapolis, I thought Minnesota NICE was a reality, IOWA NICER is what I have experienced here so far.

I like being close to KC because I love BBQ, I am very excited about being able to go to KC for a weekend without having to drive 5 and half hours and I am closer to Chicago

I can go from East Des Moines to the western suburbs like West Des Moines, Clive, in less than 20 minutes.

Minneapolis offers more cultural activities, Twins, Vikings and other amenities but I am OK with maybe driving there once or twice a month if I need to

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,362,994 times
I have some relatives who live in the northwestern corner of Iowa and they go to Minneapolis on occasion (Vikings game, Twins game, Mall of America). They think that its a big city (and would never want to live there) but go there for a weekend for activites and venues that are not found in nearby Sioux Falls, which is similar in size to Cedar Rapids. In that corner of Iowa, the media comes from Sioux Falls and have more influence from South Dakota than Minnesota or other areas of Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa