Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

What is the general Iowa preception and attitudes towards the Twin Cities?

Being a large growing metropolitan area with more people that all of Iowa over in the next state, do people in Iowa regard the twin cities with a certain kind of apprehensiveness?

Do many Iowans feel intimidated by the area, claustrophobic, thinking of it as being an island in the midwest?

I'm from the Chicago suburbs. The Chicago area is almost three times as big as the Twin Cities area. But the Twin Cities are a major National player among US. urban areas.

How do Iowans feel about the Twin cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,473 times
Maybe I don't understand the question, but I do not understand why Iowans would feel intimidated or apprehensive (and especially not claustrophobic) about the Twin Cities? Do you think we think of the area as some sort of looming threat? It's not like we worry every day about the fact that there is a metro area to our north with 3 million people. If we did, we would be paralyzed with fear every day knowing that Chicago, Kansas City, and Omaha were so close. I just fail to comprehend what you are talking about. It's not like we're all farmers who are scared of urban areas or something.

Having only been to Minneapolis once, my personal opinion is positive. I would like to go back and visit the Twin Cities some time, and I probably will since I attend college only 3 hours or so away. If I was offered a job in the Twin Cities after college, I would be interested. It seems like a nice place. I think the response you'll get is overall that they're nice and that's about it.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:56 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,112,439 times
I guess what I am asking;

In many states and regions, there is somewhat urban-rural dichotomy.

For example Wyomingites think of Colorado as being the Denver-Front range area, and think of it as being crowded with yuppies, etc. or crazy busy, with people who come to trash their state parks in Wyoming.

Wisconsin sort of feels this way about Illinois and Chicago.

Northern new England (ie: Maine) feels this way about Boston.

I didn't mean to offend. I know not all of Iowa is farms.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I guess what I am asking;

In many states and regions, there is somewhat urban-rural dichotomy.

For example Wyomingites think of Colorado as being the Denver-Front range area, and think of it as being crowded with yuppies, etc. or crazy busy, with people who come to trash their state parks in Wyoming.

Wisconsin sort of feels this way about Illinois and Chicago.

I didn't mean to offend. I know not all of Iowa is farms.
Sorry if I got a little defensive there, I am used to getting ignorant questions about Iowa and I thought this might be another one.

I haven't heard of that kind of attitude here. Many people in the eastern part of the state have some prejudices against Chicago because there are many Chicagoans moving west into Iowa seeking section 8 housing. There are people in rural areas who dislike all urban areas, including smaller ones like Des Moines. But I haven't heard of any stereotypes about the Twin Cities, other than the Minnesota accent.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:

This is true. Many Mainers resent Boston's influence on southern Maine, and often refer to southern Maine as Northern Mass; a sentiment that is not meant to be pleasant. There is also the reference of people from that state as M*******s, but that kind of got thrown back at the face since people from Massachusetts begin taking pride in and advertising 'M*******' with bumper stickers and such.

Funny thing, though: Mainers worship the BOSTON Red Sox.

By the way, never refer to Maine as 'Northern New England'; at least not while Mainers are around

Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Being a large growing metropolitan area with more people that all of Iowa over in the next state, do people in Iowa regard the twin cities with a certain kind of apprehensiveness?

Do many Iowans feel intimidated by the area, claustrophobic, thinking of it as being an island in the midwest?

You realize Minneapolis is a 3 1/2 hour drive from Des Moines and maybe a 5 hour drive from the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area, right? Maybe 6 from the Quad Cities? Mason City MIGHT be the only place in Iowa that's really in the Cities' sphere of influence. Honestly, I think your question would be more relevant to someone who lived in Duluth or Rochester. Maybe even Madison, Sioux Falls or Fargo.

Anyways...

All things considered, I think the Twin Cities have a pretty good reputation in Iowa and I'm sure they get a lot of visitors from down this way. It doesn't have the same sort of stigma with crime like parts of Chicago and (similarly sized and just as close as mpls) Kansas City and St. Louis. Personally, I find Chicago overwhelming and rarely get out that way but I don't feel intimidated by Minneapolis... I don't think most Iowans do either. I think most people just think of it as a larger Des Moines with more stuff to do.

For me, I like the Twin Cities. It's been a couple years since I've been up there but I used to get up there frequently. Pretty good cultural offerings up there. If I ever lost reasons to stay in Des Moines I would definitely consider St. Paul.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Myself and most Iowans (Eastern Iowans anyway) have been to too many Cubs/Bears/Bulls games and have spent to many weekends in Chicago to be intimidated by the Twin Cities.

I don't think too many Iowans have an opinion of them one way or the other. From the Quad Cities we have the choice of Kansas City, St, Louis, Milwaukee, Madison, Des Moines etc. before we think about a weekend getaway to the Twin Cities. Now that I'm thinking about it, the Twin Cities aren't even on our radar really.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Most of Iowa, has Minneapolis/St Paul, as the closest Metro area with over 2 million people. Kansas City is closer (at least in South Central and South Western IA), but that's not over 2 million and doesn't offer as much as MSP does.
When I lived in Cedar Rapids, the Vikings were more popular than the Bears, but the Cubs were more popular than the Twins. So there is really no clear answer.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Really if you're going to do the drive, Chicago isn't THAT much further than the Twin Cities if you're in Des Moines. In the triangle from Dubuque to Des Moines down to the southeast corner of the state has over half the state's population, and Chicago is the closest major city or is roughly just as far from other cities.

If you're in Iowa City or Dubuque or Cedar Rapids or the Quad Cities, then Chicago is quite a bit closer. Growing up in Eastern Iowa, we went to Minneapolis randomly, but honestly Chicago seemed to be the BIG CITY if you're living in Eastern Iowa. People from Eastern Iowa go to Chicago all the time, especially in Iowa City it was almost like the two areas had a huge connection - especially since 40% of the University of Iowa is from the Chicagoland area.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
Quote:

I think you're over thinking this to believe that the "average" Iowan has given enough time or energy to consider the Twin Cities at this level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa