U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 26,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I grew up in Iowa City. The town has been ruined by liberals. Also, less than desireable elements from Chicago have moved in and elevated the crime rate. The downtown has no real shops anymore, only bars. Liberal towns tend to attract dead beats and more liberals which make them even worse over time. It is sad to see Iowa City now and the only time I return to my hometown is for a football game. I think the comparison to San Francisco is fair, as that has become a dump as well. San Francisco used to be a nice town prior the the late 1960s.

Haha, good stuff hawkeye2009. Your post was the best free entertainment I have seen all day. Too bad most of what you say is extremely exaggerated and biased. I have lived in many places around the country and Iowa City has been one of the most pleasant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM

3,804 posts, read 5,159,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
This is an Iowa thread so I tried to keep it Iowa by referring to CB. If I moved to the Omaha Metro, I would live on the Nebraska side.
You covered well. Amen to the Nebraska side.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 24,922 times
Hawkeye, so true. Just look what liberals and big government have done to the state of CA. Don't get me wrong, hard core conservatives are not much better. Anyways, I have not lived in IC, but I have been there several times. People do seem friendly and it appears to be a nice town overall.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM

22,753 posts, read 13,784,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarurally View Post
Haha, good stuff hawkeye2009. Your post was the best free entertainment I have seen all day. Too bad most of what you say is extremely exaggerated and biased. I have lived in many places around the country and Iowa City has been one of the most pleasant.

It used to be very pleasant. Have fun their on the southeast side. That is where I grew up. Talk to anyone who has lived or is living there and they will say the same thing. Chicago thugs and liberals are killing the town.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,450,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I grew up in Iowa City. The town has been ruined by liberals. Also, less than desireable elements from Chicago have moved in and elevated the crime rate. The downtown has no real shops anymore, only bars. Liberal towns tend to attract dead beats and more liberals which make them even worse over time. It is sad to see Iowa City now and the only time I return to my hometown is for a football game. I think the comparison to San Francisco is fair, as that has become a dump as well. San Francisco used to be a nice town prior the the late 1960s.
lol, that's actually kinda hilarious! Especially granted Iowa City is being "taken or by liberals" or something. My parents grew up there 40 years ago - and it was much more crazy back then. If anything the town is getting much more diluted.

Des Moines and Iowa City are not even arguably the most desirably cities in Iowa right now. Iowa City honestly has been for the past 50 years.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM

66 posts, read 168,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarurally View Post
I agree with the previous post. We moved our family to Coralville (pretty much Iowa City) and love it! My 3 year old son is autistic and we are blown away by the help we have recieved and the quality of care at the University of Iowa Hospital. Definitly look at Coralville/North Liberty if you decide to come here, much cheaper than Iowa City and very close to the city itself.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions! Be glad to help!
No questions! But i was wondering if you guys were speaking of the same iowa city, that if you were to remove the college population that the city itself would have only a population of 40.000 people.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 AM

120 posts, read 281,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setch1425 View Post
The number one prority on our list as a lesbian couple with children is gay acceptance, second is autism resources for our son who has high functioning autism. He's currently in 3rd grade. We're also looking for,

*Great Schools (elementary & high school)
*Affordable Housing
*Jobs in The Area (for blue collar workers)
* Friendly People & A Small Town Atmosphere
Iowa City is distinctly more liberal than Des Moines, but you will find both the acceptance and resources you need in either city.

Des Moines has a broader economic base than Iowa City, so depending on your skills and experience, it might be easier for you to find permanent work in Des Moines. That said, temp jobs are easy to come by in Iowa City.

Des Moines is a small city, but has neighborhoods that will give you that sense of "small town" that you are looking for.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM

3,193 posts, read 2,552,589 times
People make way too much out of a city being too liberal or too conservative. What does it really matter?

Jasper

Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,854,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
People make way too much out of a city being too liberal or too conservative. What does it really matter?

Jasper
This might be the post of the year!!!

You make a great point. In the end, what does it really matter?

If you're liberal, you're supposedly open-minded and thus sensitive to those that might be different than you.

If you're conservative, you're supposedly all about individualism and doing what is right for yourself and your family regardless of what the other misguided sheep are doing or believe.

Great take, Jaspers!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:41 AM

3,193 posts, read 2,552,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
This might be the post of the year!!!

You make a great point. In the end, what does it really matter?

If you're liberal, you're supposedly open-minded and thus sensitive to those that might be different than you.

If you're conservative, you're supposedly all about individualism and doing what is right for yourself and your family regardless of what the other misguided sheep are doing or believe.

Great take, Jaspers!!!

Liberal is not the dirty word talk radio hosts make it out to be and sadly have built a career saying the word 1000 times a day.

Jasper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or