U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM

47 posts, read 137,918 times

Advertisements

Being someone who moved from Arkansas to Iowa as a teen, I can say the accent is going to make you stand out for awhile, but people love it. Also, it's kind of a different culture - people respect privacy a lot more and aren't so bold in helping you move in or making friends with the neighbors. Be prepared to have to go out and meet people on your own, but the people are quite friendly.

Ames is a good town, not really as conservative as most of the smaller towns with Iowa State there and all, but it's a nice mix of quiet town and events. There is a bit of crime (more than you'd think for a town that size; my Minneapolis suburb has less) but we didn't have any issue at all the year and a half we lived there. We lived in an apartment on the West Side (Georgia Ave) and near North Grand Mall on 24th St. Be aware of the train tracks and alternate routes! Nothing's worse than being late because you were held up by a (frequent running!) train. The hospital in Ames has a pretty decent reputation and their clinic was top notch treating our child.

May I also recommend Carlisle? It's very near south Des Moines (Walmart, Best Buy, smaller older Southridge mall), and the hwy 5 bypass makes going to the bigger places (newer fancier Jordan Creek mall, Costco, etc) much easier. The town seemed pretty conservative to me, and has a large emphasis on sports teams. I can't put my finger on it, but it seemed more 'like' Arkansas to me in the way the streets and buildings were placed. They have a 7th grade girls basketball coach position open here: http://www.carlisle.k12.ia.us/dist_hravailablepositions.php (broken link)

Last edited by leilay; 01-22-2010 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Added link to school job page
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa