U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 10,817 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from Indiana to Iowa for a job opportunity in Cedar Rapids.We are not at all familiar with the CR area.We are very conservative and would like to live in the country.What areas are within a 45 minute drive of Cedar Rapids with LOW property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM

5,600 posts, read 5,441,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesandn View Post
My family is moving from Indiana to Iowa for a job opportunity in Cedar Rapids.We are not at all familiar with the CR area.We are very conservative and would like to live in the country.What areas are within a 45 minute drive of Cedar Rapids with LOW property taxes?
Cedar Rapids - an island of urbanity amidst corn fields and all "good" stuff sprayed on them. If "Living in the country" means living on an 10 acre plot with no neighbors in sight, it's just not Iowan style. I don't know why but Iowans mostly reside in small towns or on farms. I guess it's taxes and/or rich agricultural soil driving sprawl costs up. There is no "country" like suburban sprawl around Cedar Rapids, you'll have to look into small town life.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 10,817 times
Living in the country does not necessarily mean on '10 acres'. We just don't want to be within arms reach of our next door neighbors. We would like at least 2 acres -- for breathing room. ( Yeah, 10 acres would be excellant, but unrealistic.) We don't know the area and we were hoping that someone could tell us where is a good, safe place to raise a family, not in the city, with LOW property taxes. We currently, here in Indiana, pay only $900/yr in property taxes!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,239,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Cedar Rapids - an island of urbanity amidst corn fields and all "good" stuff sprayed on them. If "Living in the country" means living on an 10 acre plot with no neighbors in sight, it's just not Iowan style. I don't know why but Iowans mostly reside in small towns or on farms. I guess it's taxes and/or rich agricultural soil driving sprawl costs up. There is no "country" like suburban sprawl around Cedar Rapids, you'll have to look into small town life.
I wouldn't say that. Around 64% (almost 2/3) of the population lives in urban areas, with the population living in metropolitan areas growing by 460,000 since 1990. From 1,222,000 to 1,680,000, or well over half. The rural population has now dropped by over 33% from its peak. During that same time the urban population has grown by 233%.

Shockingly the actual farm population now only makes up around 5.5% of the state's population.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM

54 posts, read 129,805 times
Cedar Rapids is the city of 5 smells. Cedar Rapids is 20 miles from a VERY LIBERAL Iowa City. Many people commute back and forth daily.

The city has a decent downtown size and many of the out skirt towns still have that "small town conservative" feel.

You might consider Marion or Hiawatha and farther outside of those cities.

Keep in mind the floods devastated downtown Cedar Rapids and they are in a HUGE recovery/rebuilding stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa