U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your top Iowa city of the Top 5 Largest Iowa Cities?
Des Moines 106 50.24%
Sioux City 19 9.00%
Cedar Rapids 31 14.69%
Davenport 44 20.85%
Waterloo 11 5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM

166 posts, read 578,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
You're so smart. I could never possibly debate you - You are way too big city for me to comprehend. Or is it way too small resort town?
Pepe, quit trolling. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - that is the basis of a forum. If YOU don't like it, please leave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,374,752 times
lol, he will probably tell you to leave Iowa for telling him to leave the forum.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 PM

450 posts, read 2,048,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
Pepe, quit trolling. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - that is the basis of a forum. If YOU don't like it, please leave.
You're absolutley right. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But remeber, opinons are like a-holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Perhaps I see things differently, but there is a huge difference between stating a valid opinion and making silly, over-reaching generalizations about an entire group of people. You've made a few comments on how everyone in Iowa is not cultured, not educated, and not forward thinking. I've spent far too much of my life in the military and in school to not be offended by that train of thought.

You are always going to find close minded people, uneducated people whether you are in Cedar Rapids, Iowa or Minneapolis, Minnesota. It's always going to be difficult to make new friends in a new place when your nearing 30 with kids. None of that is unique to Iowa and it's just a fact of life.

BTW, where have I ever "trolled"?

Old 11-24-2007, 02:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,374,752 times
Those are all factual statements. A rural state cannot be forward thinking. Whoever told you it is...lied to you.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,780,825 times
New Hampshire and Vermont aren't forward thinking then?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
You're absolutley right. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But remeber, opinons are like a-holes. Everyone has one and they all stink. . .BTW, where have I ever "trolled"?

Do some statements speak for themselves?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
New Hampshire and Vermont aren't forward thinking then?
I don't know...what about Idaho? One common link between these four (IA included) states is that (except for the upcoming caucus and primary) you never, ever hear about them in national headlines.

Is this a statement of lacking forward thinking? Je ne sais pas, mon amies.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,450 times
I have lived in Iowa all of my life with exception of living in Denver, Co for 2 years following college graduation. I grew up in Sioux City, lived in Council Bluffs for 5 years, Iowa City for 10 years, Des Moines for 10 years and Cedar Falls for 10 years, my husband has been working in Cedar Rapids for 10 years. I believe a have a very objective of Iowa cities, since I have lived in so many, and for a good length of time. I would rate Iowa City as the best overall city to live, however, job opportunities might be a problem if you aren't University or Medical affiliated. In addition, it is a fairly mobile city, and as people get older, they tend to move away. Cedar Falls comes in a close 2nd, if not tying for 1st with Iowa City. The atmosphere in CF is wonderful, people are friendly, lots to do with UNI, athletics, entertainment has really grown in the last 8 years. We are never without something to do, even on the weeknights. Schools are great-neighborhood elementary schools, Middle school that is still 7th-9th grade, high school that is always rated tops in sports and academics.
Des Moines-okay, didn't offer anything different or better than Cedar Falls, or Iowa City, but bigger with all the issues that go along with being bigger.
Sioux City-too native
Cedar Rapids-just okay

Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 PM

609 posts, read 2,784,602 times
I think Sioux City relatively speaking as a metropolitan area does have lots to offer in terms of diversity. Its large hispanic, vietnamese/laos, and native American population really adds much culture to the city.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,563 times
Default Blinded by the Pride

After reading a lot of the posts on this thread I found a great quote that fits a lot of what some are saying,

"Pride is the mask we make of our faults"

Iowa, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or