U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your top Iowa city of the Top 5 Largest Iowa Cities?
Des Moines 106 50.24%
Sioux City 19 9.00%
Cedar Rapids 31 14.69%
Davenport 44 20.85%
Waterloo 11 5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM

4,779 posts, read 6,508,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo-iowa View Post
Hush hog i hear noise.They will not come hear and bash my city because of their race issues,and try to make that little 24 square mile town more than what it his.

Like I said..creepy.

hear/here...you make Waterloo look bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:38 PM

66 posts, read 168,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Like I said..creepy.

hear/here...you make Waterloo look bad.
Hey you started the personal attacts, i just had to get back atcha.I have nothing against iowa city, it's realy not that serious,also i have nothing against people taken pride about their city just dont smash my city to feel good about your town,expecaily when they dont know what they are talking about,you have some who come here trying to convence people that iowa city and on it's own face is this big growing hot spot in iowa that everyone is flocking to,it is not true,If the city is only 67.000 and the student body is 30.000 and the administration and or personel about 20.000 that leaves the people who actualy calls iowa city home about 17.000 what i'm saying is that if you are not a student or apart of the work-force iowa city is not populor, not one bit,therefore the 24 square miles of this city adds right up with a town of 17.000.now i'm done with this argument,go hawks.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,517,360 times
Quote:
Hey you started the personal attacts, i just had to get back atcha.I have nothing against iowa city, it's realy not that serious,also i have nothing against people taken pride about their city just dont smash my city to feel good about your town,expecaily when they dont know what they are talking about,you have some who come here trying to convence people that iowa city and on it's own face is this big growing hot spot in iowa that everyone is flocking to,it is not true,If the city is only 67.000 and the student body is 30.000 and the administration and or personel about 20.000 that leaves the people who actualy calls iowa city home about 17.000 what i'm saying is that if you are not a student or apart of the work-force iowa city is not populor, not one bit,therefore the 24 square miles of this city adds right up with a town of 17.000.now i'm done with this argument,go hawks.
Fact is, Iowa City is growing rapidly and Waterloo is not. End of story.

20,000 administration/faculty at U of I?? Try 2,000. That makes Iowa City proper roughly 35,000. The bigger point you seemed to have missed is metro growth, which is more important in charting the economic growth of a city. If it were a race, Iowa City is the rabbit and Waterloo is the snail. Facts are facts.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post

20,000 administration/faculty at U of I?? Try 2,000. That makes Iowa City proper roughly 35,000. The bigger point you seemed to have missed is metro growth, which is more important in charting the economic growth of a city. If it were a race, Iowa City is the rabbit and Waterloo is the snail. Facts are facts.
Rabbit and snail, good one, and you might be right,but then again waterloo might suprise some people ,it's alot of things going on there, Iowa city might bye pass waterloo by a couple of people but it want last very long.It must be nice to have a college for a city.waterloo is way to corrupt to grow fast,but the things they are trying to do now appears to be a winner,so we'll see.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post

One more question,is it iowa city proper thats growing,or the school just enrolling more students to give a false appearance?just wondering.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,421,483 times
Quote:
One more question,is it iowa city proper thats growing,or the school just enrolling more students to give a false appearance?just wondering.

The school has had roughly the same enrollment for decades. When I grew up in the early 80's in Iowa City it was DEFINITELY a college town. Summer's were like a ghost town, it was awesome. That was around 30,000 college kids and 50,000 residents in the metro area. Now it's 30,000 college students and 100,000 residents in the area. Add to that many students are now staying for summer school, and the whole ghost town thing in the summer is totally gone.

I kinda miss the old city before Coral Ridge and all the new retail moved in. Now it seems there's always just traffic and thousands of people I've never seen before all over at all times.

There are 20,000 people or so total employed at the University, but that's just their jobs. My dad and Grandfather worked for the university - but that certainly doesn't mean they weren't "residents" of Iowa City. My family has been in the area for 65 years, since it was a small town of 30,000 people in the entire area - 1/3 of them college students. It's still our hometown though, even though my family worked for the university.

Only a few thousand people who work for Iowa actually deal with the students and or are teachers. A vast majority do the back-end stuff, support staff, purchasing, hospital staff, security, research, drivers, etc.

I knew people growing up who worked for the University, but I never knew anyone who was actually a teacher or anything. Growing up there you really don't notice the university unless you happen to be right on campus for an event like Homecoming. Otherwise the university was just the big employer in the area, like the big factory. We all lived our lives just like everyone else in a non-college town. THAT'S the part of Iowa City that's been rapidly growing for decades. The non-university population, from 20,000 in 1940 to 100,000 today.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 05-15-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 AM

267 posts, read 1,137,041 times
Quote:
Enrollment at Iowa is actually declining, if I recall correctly. So yes, it's Iowa City. And students aren't buying all the new houses being built in Iowa City, that's for sure.

Plus, the administration and faculty do actually live here, you know. You can't just discount people because they work at the University. Those people still live in Iowa City, most of them year-round.

I don't recall anyone bashing Waterloo to make Iowa City look better. I appreciate your pride in your city, but you really don't need to attack Iowa City to support Waterloo. Iowa City is, according to the most recent Census, larger than Waterloo, but a city's size isn't everything. Attacking every aspect of Iowa City isn't making Waterloo look any better, it's just making you look bad.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
Enrollment at Iowa is actually declining, if I recall correctly. So yes, it's Iowa City. And students aren't buying all the new houses being built in Iowa City, that's for sure.

Plus, the administration and faculty do actually live here, you know. You can't just discount people because they work at the University. Those people still live in Iowa City, most of them year-round.

I don't recall anyone bashing Waterloo to make Iowa City look better. I appreciate your pride in your city, but you really don't need to attack Iowa City to support Waterloo. Iowa City is, according to the most recent Census, larger than Waterloo, but a city's size isn't everything. Attacking every aspect of Iowa City isn't making Waterloo look any better, it's just making you look bad.
You see ,i tried to be nice and let it all go,but no you want to keep trying your luck therefore i will smash you right here ,and right now.the last census was in 2000 (waterloo-68.000)and(iowa town was 62.000)the 2010 census has not been calculted.the 2008 count you are depending on is nothing but a projected count,it means nothing.Now sence you are so smart,and you think i'm a damn fool ,but i'm willing to bet that it is not iowa town proper that is growing,but indeed the school has gotten larger,the student body,dont make me research it.your town is nothing but a college that was built around a villige and then named iowa city.(example) you have the city of ames and out there you have the campus,you have cedar falls and out there you have the campus, in iowa town you just have the campus,everything college,downtown iowa town is the campus you can not do nothing there without the campus,campus this and campus that i bet you sleep,eat,fart campus. iowa town is nothing but a very small villige with a college wraped around it. now if iowa town has a few more people this census good for you,it just means that the college is big.also you give the true meaning why minnesotans think we are idiots.fales,make believe pride.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM

60 posts, read 194,109 times
h20loo, here's a satellite image of iowa city, it doesn't show coralville, north liberty, cedar rapids, or other places where people commute from. I outlined the majority of the campus buildings in red, and while i didn't outline a few of the buildings, you can clearly see that the campus is not the majority of the city.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,535,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post

You did not read correctly. Enrollment at The University of Iowa is increasing, from undergraduate school to graduate school.

Here is a recent article: http://www.press-citizen.com/article...appears-strong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or