U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is your top Iowa city of the Top 5 Largest Iowa Cities?
Des Moines 106 50.24%
Sioux City 19 9.00%
Cedar Rapids 31 14.69%
Davenport 44 20.85%
Waterloo 11 5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,430 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

[quote=I'd give 5 to Keokuk, because it has always struck me as a working town with great people.[/QUOTE]

Keokuk as #5? Have you actually been in Keokuk? The area is economically depressed overall and judging by the number of run-down houses, will remain an economic black hole for a long time. Walmart destroyed the downtown area which is now frequented by drifters and drug addicts thanks to the drug rehab center on Main Street. The bars and liquor stores are some of the few businesses that make money. Keokuk High School has a 68% graduation rate and after seeing some of the students in the park, I can understand why. Many are disheveled, inbred, gangsta wannabes that have no clue as to how they will support themselves. Medicaid is the dominant insurer here since the employers are few and don't offer affordable health insurance. Maybe your memories of Keokuk were formed during a brief ride down Grand Avenue or a stroll in Rand Park but once you've actually lived here, your views will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
 
54 posts, read 282,172 times
Reputation: 28
It could also be that I haven't been to keokuk in many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Marion, IA
2,796 posts, read 5,627,465 times
Reputation: 1581
Default Eastern Iowa. Western IA is boring!

1) Cedar Rapids
2) Iowa City
3) Dubuque
4) Waterloo
5) Des Moines

I've lived in CR, IC and Dubque. I've been to most of these cities except Sioux City. CR is a decent sized metro area with a lot of high tech jobs with low crime. It's also close to a major University for education and of course partying .

Dubuque is very pretty and has some great jobs. The JD plant is always hiring it seems. It's also only an hour or two from Milwaukee, Madison and Chicago.

Waterloo - I lived just outside of Waterloo when I was a kid and never thought it was THAT bad. If you want to complain about crime you should live in Milwaukee for awhile!

Des Moines - This city is overrated in my opinion. It is basically an overgrown Cedar Rapids. It really doesn't offer any metropolis ammenities or attractions. The other thing is you are stuck in the middle of bfnowhere. Once you leave the city it is at least 2 hours of driving before you see another city bigger than 10,000 people. Boring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 PM
 
Location: IN
21,437 posts, read 37,678,755 times
Reputation: 13998
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Des Moines - This city is overrated in my opinion. It is basically an overgrown Cedar Rapids. It really doesn't offer any metropolis ammenities or attractions. The other thing is you are stuck in the middle of bfnowhere. Once you leave the city it is at least 2 hours of driving before you see another city bigger than 10,000 people. Boring!
Ames is just north of Des Moines and definitely has more than 10,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2007, 12:41 AM
 
609 posts, read 2,774,408 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Ames is just north of Des Moines and definitely has more than 10,000 people.
I do disagree with your Des Moines assessment.

What big city amenties would you be referring to?

Des Moines has many of the same retail found in big cities that is not found in the smaller Iowa cities such as CR or Sioux City.
Des Moines is the 3rd largest insurance center in the world and the main financial district of the state of Iowa.
Des Moines has the largest and busiest airport in Iowa sporting more non-stops than any other airport in Iowa including Iowa's only non-stop connection to NYC on American (Eagle).
Des Moines has a Triple A ballclub, which separates itself off from other cities such as CR or Sioux City or Davenport.
They also have more entertainment venues than any other city in Iowa.
I truly believe Des Moines is really Iowa's only true city...with the other cities in Iowa being large towns such as Sioux City (metro pop 144,000), CR (metro pop 275,000). Now Des Moines is by no means big...it only has roughly 500,000 in the area, and compared to DFW where I live, that's nothing...we have 6 million in the area.

But being a native of Iowa, and from one of the top 4 largest cities in Iowa...I do think Des Moines is probably the most urban feeling town despite it being a small city. I think it offers enough amenties in its museums, amusement park, botanical gardens, retail, airport access, and more extensive freeway system and infrastructure to be considered a legit city...though very small. I liken Des Moines to a smaller version of Omaha, which has experienced tremendous growth over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
 
2 posts, read 13,841 times
Reputation: 11
I have lived in 3 of the cities listed in this poll.

1) Des Moines - lived there most of my life. I would go back in a second. They are really struggling to prevent the "Brain Drain" and keep the kids they educate from leaving town. Seems to be working, too. Lots of opportunities for employment - If you're not working in Des Moines, it's because you don't want to work at all. I've always been able to find good, steady work, nice and affordable places to live, and something to do on the weekends.

2) Cedar Rapids - Never lived there, but visited often when I lived in Cedar Falls/Waterloo. Seemed very like Des Moines, and close enough to Iowa City for a change of scene when needed.

3) Davenport - Always beautiful to visit. Never lived there, but I have a lot of friends who do and wouldn't leave for anything.

4) Waterloo - lived in Cedar Falls while attending UNI for one year. Couldn't get out fast enough. I lived there in 2000, hopefully more jobs have come in since then. It seriously had NOTHING to offer when I was there. No jobs, no entertainment, nothing. At least there were a lot of beautiful bike trails in Cedar Falls. That's the only positive thing I can say about the area.

5) Sioux City - I moved up here from Omaha a few years ago and it has been the worst decision of my life. The best thing to come from this move is that I will be graduating with my RN in May of 2008 if all goes well. And as I just posted on another thread, I will be attending that graduation in a U-haul if possible. It smells, there are very few jobs that pay more than 10.00 an hour, and the economy is terrible. Everyone I know has 2 jobs to make ends meet. Cost of living is the same as DSM metro (not WDM) but the jobs generally pay 2-3 dollars an hour less. Yes, that includes the new call centers. There is a reason the airport designation is SUX.

Only one good thing about SC so far, and that's the people. I have met some great people at school. Still, they deserve to live in a better place with more oppotunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 AM
 
609 posts, read 2,774,408 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duflinkka View Post
I have lived in 3 of the cities listed in this poll.

1) Des Moines - lived there most of my life. I would go back in a second. They are really struggling to prevent the "Brain Drain" and keep the kids they educate from leaving town. Seems to be working, too. Lots of opportunities for employment - If you're not working in Des Moines, it's because you don't want to work at all. I've always been able to find good, steady work, nice and affordable places to live, and something to do on the weekends.

2) Cedar Rapids - Never lived there, but visited often when I lived in Cedar Falls/Waterloo. Seemed very like Des Moines, and close enough to Iowa City for a change of scene when needed.

3) Davenport - Always beautiful to visit. Never lived there, but I have a lot of friends who do and wouldn't leave for anything.

4) Waterloo - lived in Cedar Falls while attending UNI for one year. Couldn't get out fast enough. I lived there in 2000, hopefully more jobs have come in since then. It seriously had NOTHING to offer when I was there. No jobs, no entertainment, nothing. At least there were a lot of beautiful bike trails in Cedar Falls. That's the only positive thing I can say about the area.

5) Sioux City - I moved up here from Omaha a few years ago and it has been the worst decision of my life. The best thing to come from this move is that I will be graduating with my RN in May of 2008 if all goes well. And as I just posted on another thread, I will be attending that graduation in a U-haul if possible. It smells, there are very few jobs that pay more than 10.00 an hour, and the economy is terrible. Everyone I know has 2 jobs to make ends meet. Cost of living is the same as DSM metro (not WDM) but the jobs generally pay 2-3 dollars an hour less. Yes, that includes the new call centers. There is a reason the airport designation is SUX.

Only one good thing about SC so far, and that's the people. I have met some great people at school. Still, they deserve to live in a better place with more oppotunities.
What you are saying pretty much echoes the state of Iowa as a whole.
Most of the jobs and corporate hq relocations are going to the Sunbelt. In fact, my home area, DFW has been #1's and #2's for the last 5 years in terms of corporate hq relocations trading off with Chicago.
America is urbanizing, and unfortunatley, stagnant states like Iowa are falling behind. Iowa needs to make itself more business friendly, and they are...
For the longest time, Sioux City rejected the big box stores, and companies. It fell on hard times when Gateway left, and also when IBP got bought out by Tyson...these are two of its 2 Fortune 500 companies that vanished.

But things are improving. I think it's starting with the improvement in air transportation. Frontier, a low cost carrier, will be a flag to companies around the region and the nation that Sioux City will be more accessible...much like it was in the early 1990's when it had mainline jet service (aka TWA, United, America West, US Airways , and Northwest).

Scenery wise, Sioux City is located in the Loess Hills, it needs to take advantage of that fact and continue to market itself thatway...there's some nice looking country as you're heading into S. Dakota.

Sioux City also has entertainment treasures: THe Orpheum, a brand new 10,000 seats Events Center (that by the way is stealing business from Sioux Falls), a relatively new Arts Center, and of course the Mighty MO.

I agree, from a job standpoint, it's been tough....that's where teh state of Iowa has some part of the blame...by letting NW Iowa lose out to no state income tax states like SD and lower tax states like NE. Sioux City has repeatedly asked the State to let itself become more competitive with its neighboring states....of course the State of Iowa for the longest time until recently had focused more on Eastern Iowa rather than the Western Iowa cities of CB and Sioux City.

Now they're finally realizing all the time lost as iowa's 4th largest metropolitan area has fallen behind that of Sioux Falls, and Omaha. It's time to play catch up.

It's starts with access: US 20 needs completion. Sioux Gateway needs to recapture market share....70% of SUX travelers go to Omaha, 12% to Sioux Falls. Frontier will help keep Northwest behaved. Another airline is also eyeing Sioux City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 AM
 
196 posts, read 724,468 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Des Moines - This city is overrated in my opinion. It is basically an overgrown Cedar Rapids. It really doesn't offer any metropolis ammenities or attractions. The other thing is you are stuck in the middle of bfnowhere. Once you leave the city it is at least 2 hours of driving before you see another city bigger than 10,000 people. Boring!
You couldn't be more wrong. DM's downtown blows CR's out of the water. In the last 5 years hundreds of millions of $ in construction has happened in DT Des Moines and it continues. Overall construction in DM is about 10X as much as CR.

DM has nationally recognized events like the Iowa State Fair, Art Festival, CR has none.
DM has Living History Farms (picked one of the top outdoor museums in nation), CR has none.
DM has a new Science Center, State Historical Museum, main library. CR has no attractions/museums at this level.
DM has a new 17,000 seat arena that attracts big name concerts. CR is lucky to get any big time shows at its small arena.
DM metro has the largest mall in IA. CR needs to drive to IC for a mall that is even close to it.
DM has a zoo, albeit small, CR has none.
DM has opera, CR has none.
DM's airport has twice as many non-stop destinations.
DM has AAA baseball (1 level below majors), CR has small time A baseball.
DM has AAA hockey, CR has none.
DM has arena football, CR has none.
DM has an amusement park, CR has none.
DM is a regular stop for Broadway plays, CR has none.
Boring? DM has a lively night scene. CR drives to Iowa City for fun.
DM has a nationally recognized Farmers Market that attracts 20K-30K people every weekend. It is more of a weekly festival than just a bunch of farmers selling stuff. If CR has a farmers market, does it attract even 300 ppl?
Also, CR has overwhelming odors in many parts of town. DM has one pocket of odors on the east side, but the rest of the metro has fresh air for a metro area.

I guess there are a few differences??

I don't normally like to obliterate a city like this, but with your negative attitude toward DM and misinformation, I couldn't resist this hanging curve ball to knock out of the park!

Last edited by DSMGuy; 08-03-2007 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: Farmers Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 06:13 AM
 
609 posts, read 2,774,408 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. DM's downtown blows CR's out of the water. In the last 5 years hundreds of millions of $ in construction has happened in DT Des Moines and it continues. Overall construction in DM is about 10X as much as CR.

DM has nationally recognized events like the Iowa State Fair, Art Festival, CR has none.
DM has Living History Farms (picked one of the top outdoor museums in nation), CR has none.
DM has a new Science Center, State Historical Museum, main library. CR has no attractions/museums at this level.
DM has a new 17,000 seat arena that attracts big name concerts. CR is lucky to get any big time shows at its small arena.
DM metro has the largest mall in IA. CR needs to drive to IC for a mall that is even close to it.
DM has a zoo, albeit small, CR has none.
DM has opera, CR has none.
DM's airport has twice as many non-stop destinations.
DM has AAA baseball (1 level below majors), CR has small time A baseball.
DM has AAA hockey, CR has none.
DM has arena football, CR has none.
DM has an amusement park, CR has none.
DM is a regular stop for Broadway plays, CR has none.
Boring? DM has a lively night scene. CR drives to Iowa City for fun.
DM has a nationally recognized Farmers Market that attracts 20K-30K people every weekend. It is more of a weekly festival than just a bunch of farmers selling stuff. If CR has a farmers market, does it attract even 300 ppl?
Also, CR has overwhelming odors in many parts of town. DM has one pocket of odors on the east side, but the rest of the metro has fresh air for a metro area.

I guess there are a few differences??

I don't normally like to obliterate a city like this, but with your negative attitude toward DM and misinformation, I couldn't resist this hanging curve ball to knock out of the park!
I agree. Des Moines separates itself out from the rest of the Iowa Cities.

Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Sioux City, Waterloo, Dubuque, CB are the next tier.

Then there's a big fall off after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 PM
 
196 posts, read 724,468 times
Reputation: 89
Two more things to add since I'm on a roll....

Like golf? DM is a regular stop on the Champions Pro Tour (Seniors), CR isn't and probably never will be.

Like NASCAR? Newton (30 mi away) is on the NASCAR circuit.

DM is boring???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top