U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your top Iowa city of the Top 5 Largest Iowa Cities?
Des Moines 106 50.24%
Sioux City 19 9.00%
Cedar Rapids 31 14.69%
Davenport 44 20.85%
Waterloo 11 5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:51 PM

204 posts, read 944,621 times

Advertisements

I think there is a tendency among people to limit their scope to a specific geographic region. I've especially noticed that those who live in a state's biggest city tend to marginalize all others as inferior. People living in Chicago don't think Peoria or Rockford are "real" cities, and I've seen a similar arrogance from Des Moines regarding the rest of Iowa.

Its great to take pride in where you live. Cities are like works of art, really. What one might view as a great place to live, somebody else may regard very differently. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If the place you live makes you happy, that's all that really needs to be said. Statistics, trivia, and anecdotal comparisons really don't translate into anything meaningful, because they can be (and usually are) skewed to a person's pre-conceived notions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,373,640 times
DSM has a habit of pointing to smaller cities in the state and using points like having a "bigger library", or a "bigger mall" as a way of putting themselves into a category of being a major metropolis, even going as far as to compare itself to NYC...you know...having its own "East Village", or comparing nightlife in West Des Moines to Vegas in their "local tabloids". They actually consider having somewhat bad traffic at times to be a pleasing quality in DSM. It wouldn't surprise me if they would exaggerate crime statistics to bolster their unrealistic big-city image. Sometimes I get the impression the general public thinks having a huge meth problem is something to be proud of. I've seen shirts reading "Don't Meth With Iowa" made by a local retailer, I've heard so many meth jokes living here like it is something funny. It's not, meth is a real drug that hurts people.

I really don't understand it, because most cities of its size are not like this. Omaha and Indianapolis also like to put themselves in a more "major" category than they are, but not to the extent DSM does, and they are significantly bigger cities. The majority of the "young professional/civic minded" locals (not all) do believe this hype and become very defensive if you bring up that DSM is not truly a "big city", but is only big by Iowa standards. There are civic action groups solely dedicated to pushing this message, one too many perhaps. Someone will probably say I don't know how big it is, say I am jealous of how amazing DSM is, will find some magazine saying DSM is big, etc. Thinking a place is strange and disliking it are different.

Personally, I only like big cities and small, resort towns. Mid-Sized cities always feel they have something to prove making for somewhat of a strange vibe. I also find them to be the least friendly of towns. You really have to go where you can make your living, and not worry about the rest.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM

450 posts, read 2,046,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

Personally, I only like big cities and small, resort towns. Mid-Sized cities always feel they have something to prove making for somewhat of a strange vibe. I also find them to be the least friendly of towns. You really have to go where you can make your living, and not worry about the rest.
If you "only like big cites and small resort towns", why are you in Des Moines???

Last edited by pepe1; 10-22-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:12 PM

It's not just that easy to leave somewhere unless you're transferred or going away to school. Johnny Depp bought a house in France because he didn't like living in the States, but not everyone can do that.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 PM

In all honesty Des Moines is a very nice town with alot of top-rate amenities...but it's not the only city in Iowa (or the Midwest) that has such things. I think the Des Moines vs. Omaha "I'm Better Than You" contest has gotten so out of hand that both cities make boastful comments about any little minor event or development happening in their respective towns. When I lived in Chicago, the local press wouldn't even bother running a story about American Airlines adding another destination from O'Hare Airport. Yet, if Des Moines or Omaha gets one additional non-stop flight to Denver, they'll crow about it in online forums for months on end. Unfortunately, that kind of absurd self-congratulation reinforces the stereotype that Iowans are very sheltered people. Omaha people claim some kind of superiority because their tallest building is a few feet taller than Des Moines'. Its almost childish the way they go back and forth on these various forums.

I don't think there's a tremendous difference between places like Omaha, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, the Quad Cities, Peoria, or Rockford. They all like to brag about how they are so much better than everyone else, but its just talk. Furthermore, just because a city like Chicago has much taller buildings, bigger pro sports teams, more culture, and busier airports...that doesn't make it a better place to live. There are so many intangible factors and individual preferences which go into making that determination, it's utterly ridiculous to make a contest out of it.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
It's not just that easy to leave somewhere unless you're transferred or going away to school. Johnny Depp bought a house in France because he didn't like living in the States, but not everyone can do that.
When you're young and don't have children, packing up and leaving is very easy, don't kid yourself.

You spend a great deal of time going from internet bulletin board to internet bulletin board with the sole intent of bashing Des Moines. If you honestly dislike living in Des Moines that much, leave. Please.

Last edited by pepe1; 10-23-2007 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 AM

It's ignorant to pretend to know about other peoples' situations. True, anyone can do it (people move everyday in this country), but not always as easily as they'd like. That's also simplistic thinking on your part (don't like it, move away!), how one-dimensional, sadly, you probably think it is some well-crafted original response.

Like most DM forumers, you are already on the verge of getting childish all too quickly so you might as well stop now.

You've edited your last two posts as well, obviously you are putting some effort into your responses, lol.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
In all honesty Des Moines is a very nice town with alot of top-rate amenities...but it's not the only city in Iowa (or the Midwest) that has such things. I think the Des Moines vs. Omaha "I'm Better Than You" contest has gotten so out of hand that both cities make boastful comments about any little minor event or development happening in their respective towns. When I lived in Chicago, the local press wouldn't even bother running a story about American Airlines adding another destination from O'Hare Airport. Yet, if Des Moines or Omaha gets one additional non-stop flight to Denver, they'll crow about it in online forums for months on end. Unfortunately, that kind of absurd self-congratulation reinforces the stereotype that Iowans are very sheltered people. Omaha people claim some kind of superiority because their tallest building is a few feet taller than Des Moines'. Its almost childish the way they go back and forth on these various forums.

I don't think there's a tremendous difference between places like Omaha, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, the Quad Cities, Peoria, or Rockford. They all like to brag about how they are so much better than everyone else, but its just talk. Furthermore, just because a city like Chicago has much taller buildings, bigger pro sports teams, more culture, and busier airports...that doesn't make it a better place to live. There are so many intangible factors and individual preferences which go into making that determination, it's utterly ridiculous to make a contest out of it.
There's been arguments over which city has more "flagship" Krispy Kremes (Krispy Kreme at a gas station does not count). I think Omaha has two more, but DSM might have one more Starbucks. Omaha's biggest Burger King is probably still bigger than DSM's by two whole square ft though. At least it is entertaining.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It's ignorant to pretend to know about other peoples' situations. True, anyone can do it (people move everyday in this country), but not always as easily as they'd like. That's also simplistic thinking on your part (don't like it, move away!), how one-dimensional, sadly, you probably think it is some well-crafted original response.

Like most DM forumers, you are already on the verge of getting childish all too quickly so you might as well stop now.

You've edited your last two posts as well, obviously you are putting some effort into your responses, lol.
You're so smart. I could never possibly debate you - You are way too big city for me to comprehend. Or is it way too small resort town?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
There's been arguments over which city has more "flagship" Krispy Kremes (Krispy Kreme at a gas station does not count). I think Omaha has two more, but DSM might have one more Starbucks. Omaha's biggest Burger King is probably still bigger than DSM's by two whole square ft though. At least it is entertaining.
Krispy Kreme locations are a point of contention in the Des Moines vs. Omaha "World Championship Title Bout"? Not surprising, I guess. I saw one guy from Omaha post comments about their city getting an Olympic swimming trial. He was talking about it with a level of excitement usually reserved for The Super Bowl. A Des Moines poster countered with the news that Des Moines got an Olympic Triathlon qualifier. I don't know about you, but the Krispy Kreme Supremacy thread suddenly seems less pathetic.

When looking for a city to visit, I don't rank stats like per capita access to donuts very high on my list of importance. I don't even really care how many Fortune 500 companies are located there. Las Vegas only has 3 of those, but their 40 million yearly visitors manage to entertain themselves regardless.

Last edited by mfrerkes; 10-23-2007 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: mispelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or