Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Not for John Kerry.

"Crazy liberal" people give people who voted for Bush the middle finger.
Did Iowa vote for Bush in both 2000 AND 2004?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Did Iowa vote for Bush in both 2000 AND 2004?
No, but after four years of his failings, shreddings of the bill of rights and talk of preemptive war, the majority of Iowans thought he was doing a pretty good job.

I remember being so upset when I found out that we were gonna have four MORE years of that psychopath. And yes, Iowa was a red state in that election.

Last edited by urza216; 08-09-2010 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: fixed typos and added a second paragraph

Old 08-09-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
No, but after four years of his failings, shreddings of the bill of rights and talk of preemptive war, the majority of Iowans thought he was doing a pretty good job.

I remember being so upset when I found out that we were gonna have four MORE years of that psychopath. And yes, Iowa was a red state in that election.

Hmm, I guess I always thought of Iowa as more leaning of a democratic state? Don't blame you for being upset about the 2004 election. I just couldn't believe that some folks who voted for him once ACTUALLY voted for him AGAIN, or worse, didn't vote for him in 2000, but did in 2004?!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Hmm, I guess I always thought of Iowa as more leaning of a democratic state? Don't blame you for being upset about the 2004 election. I just couldn't believe that some folks who voted for him once ACTUALLY voted for him AGAIN, or worse, didn't vote for him in 2000, but did in 2004?!
Yes, more voters nationwide voted for Bush in 2004 than in 2000, not just in Iowa. People voted that way to support our troops in Iraq, it was unclear weather Kerry had the will to follow thru. Ever hear the saying "in for a penny, in for a pound" Yes it was a trillion dollar war, but seems to have been a winner, at least for the people of Iraq. Most the democrats voted for the war.

Was the Iraq war the most central factor in what destroyed our economy ? NO, we are 13 trillion in debt today, Iraq war was 1 or 2 trillion. The real cause was the housing crisis that set off a chain of events, leading to massive unemployment and the loss of tax revenue for the fed and state. Deregulation and failed housing loan policy was born in the final days of Clinton administration, both sides got their hands dirty on that one, just like the Iraq war.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Yes, more voters nationwide voted for Bush in 2004 than in 2000, not just in Iowa.
But a "crazy liberal" would absolutely never vote for Bush, ever. My state didn't. And neither did skylar0201's state. The bottom line is that in 2004, there was a seething hatred for Bush in most left-leaning circles and Iowa voted for Bush.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that Iowa is a "crazy liberal state" from what I've read on this thread.

Iowa does tend to lean democratic as opposed to republican, but it's certainly a swing state. 2004 was the first time Iowa had voted republican in 20 years. Bush also carried the state by 10,000 votes out of 1,500,000 cast. It certainly wasn't a landslide or anything.

The Democrats problem in 2004 as far as Iowa was they put up a pretty bland sounding New Englander. That persona is far enough away from your average Iowan that they didn't carry the state that year.

As always the more rural and western areas go republican, the more heavily populated eastern areas as well as metro areas go democratic.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
We will see how crazy liberal Iowa is going to vote in November. Who is going to be our new governor ? Will the three judges that voted for gay marriage be re-elected ? How much influence will Bob Vander Plaats have in the events to come ?

I still think I can be for european healthcare and still be conservative, because it will save money and make the system more efficient.....if set up the european/japanese way. Saving money = conservative, spending money = liberal.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
We will see how crazy liberal Iowa is going to vote in November. Who is going to be our new governor ? Will the three judges that voted for gay marriage be re-elected ? How much influence will Bob Vander Plaats have in the events to come ?

I still think I can be for european healthcare and still be conservative, because it will save money and make the system more efficient.....if set up the european/japanese way. Saving money = conservative, spending money = liberal.

Well, if IA gets too carried away there and votes republican on all fronts, it is going to turn a lot of people off.

Really, I am amazed at some of the midwest states views on things like Obama's administration. Think about it--some of the most conservative states like NE, KS, UT, etc have seen their economies in *MUCH* better condition than states that usually vote democrat such as yes CA, OR, IL, etc.

I seen Obama speaking on TV about a month or two ago at a "green energy" plant they were building somewhere in Iowa. Iowa also outsources some of the least amount of jobs in the country--which is a huge deal.

Just sayin'....I know Culver is the governor there. I hear all this talk through various sources that he can't do this right and he can't do that right, etc. Well, for being that Iowa is one of the states with the lowest unemployment #'s in the nation, Iowa must be doing something right.

Not saying that the democrats are doing much better, but think of where Iowa might be if say someone like Arnold was your governor like he is in CA.

I believe in a state government being balanced out because when it is, it usually works best.

There's good and bad to both parties obviously, but IMO, as goes the saying "if something isn't broken, why fix it?". I mean if Iowa can keep 93-94% of its workforce working, the jobs in its own state, a balanced budget, and do this with 60 or 70% of the government in the state being democratic, why change it; regardless of what the citizens view on things such as gay marriage? Same would apply for states out there who are in the same economic status as a state like Iowa but who are doing it mostly republican-controlled. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
But a "crazy liberal" would absolutely never vote for Bush, ever. My state didn't. And neither did skylar0201's state. The bottom line is that in 2004, there was a seething hatred for Bush in most left-leaning circles and Iowa voted for Bush.

Ha, it's sorta funny about Bush. I actually didn't vote for him not only because he was someone who I knew would do such a crappy job that even his own party would hate him eventually, but I remember him quite well from the '80's when he ran the Texas Rangers baseball team ( am also an avid baseball fan myself ) and knew if he couldn't run an organization of about 500 people, he surely couldn't run a nation of 300 million+.

I used to be a middle-of-the-road independent until that 2000 election. Now, I definitely lean democratic on social issues and probably still in the middle on economic issues. The republican party is *NOTHING* like it was 30 yrs ago. Not even close. Even the candidates that ran in 2008 and the list of "possible" ones in 2012 are not true "conservatives". The republican party is so far off of the page it isn't even funny anymore and what is eroding the party base away with things like the tea party and others.

As bad as the democrats are, the republicans are 5x worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa