Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 PM

23 posts, read 84,030 times

Advertisements

Crazy liberal? No. I firmly believe that most of us just want to live and let live. I was raised in a small town and most of the kids my age were raised to mind our own business and if someone else's personal business is not doing you or the community as a whole any harm, then don't concern yourself with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
The judge is a nut job for ruling as he did. Been to a few strip clubs in my days and haven't once seen anything "artistic" about it. It's sex, pure and simple. A babe with a body is all it takes. No tests to take. No cramming for a good grade at dancing and just laying there.

The state of Iowa is basically like Chicago6614 posted. The people are a mixed bag, but mostly pretty middle of the road. Some of the Iowa judges however are real clowns. Where do you guys get these idiots.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:27 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Compared to California? New York? No, Iowa is not crazy liberal. But Iowa is a midwestern flyover state with supposedly common sense people. It is probably one of the most liberal/democrat states in the midwest. Especially considering there are no mega-population centers like in Illinois and Michigan that pull the entire state to the left.

I'd really expect IOwa to be more conservative considering 90% of the state is rural. A lot of it probably has to do with the labor unions and education union influence.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's a pretty "middle" state when it comes down to it - so you don't have one party completely dominating and causing things to fall apart because they're so far over in left or right field, and at the same time both parties are moderate enough that there's healthy discussion between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The state of Iowa is basically like Chicago6614 posted. The people are a mixed bag, but mostly pretty middle of the road.

I agree. Myself and eveyone I know is a middle of the road type. Some lean left, some right, but no one I know leans extreme to one side or the other.

I think the fact that Iowa is first when it comes to caucuses and primaries makes Iowans more likely to take interest in politics. Being first has always been a point of pride for me, even when I was young. And I think it's the reason I'm a bit of a political/news junkie.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
[quote=zz4guy;12965773]Compared to California? New York? No, Iowa is not crazy liberal. But Iowa is a midwestern flyover state with supposedly common sense people. It is probably one of the most liberal/democrat states in the midwest. Especially considering there are no mega-population centers like in Illinois and Michigan that pull the entire state to the left.

I'd really expect IOwa to be more conservative considering 90% of the state is rural. A lot of it probably has to do with the labor unions and education union influence.[/QUOTE]

But don't something like 56% of the population live in one of the state's 9 metro areas?

I believe it's:

56% metro areas
5% smaller cities
33% rural
6% farms

http://www.iowadatacenter.org/quickfacts

Old 02-19-2010, 11:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
Definately not a "crazy liberal state" as everyone posting has pretty much confirmed.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:54 PM

84 posts, read 295,362 times
"Crazy" Liberal? Who are you?

Iowa is pretty much in the middle like people are saying - I think a lot of people here are open minded and realize there are many different ways to live ... just because it's different doesn't mean it's crazy.

I see it as a lot more progressive in an upper-midwest sense compared to Nebraska or Missouri. If you had to make a comparison it would be more similar to MN, WI, or IL ... just not QUITE as blue yet.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
We gave the country Barack Obama. That should speak for itself.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM

36 posts, read 106,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
We gave the country Barack Obama. That should speak for itself.
Certainly nothing to be proud of.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Definitely not our brightest moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa