U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM

57,931 posts, read 50,492,614 times

Advertisements

I always figured New Market,IA would have the bad reputation. It was a "sundown town". Dubuque, well, maybe there isn't alot I know about DBQ. The only things I know about DBQ before this was that it is the Ecclesiastical See of the Archdiocese of Dubuque, and that it was known for being a blue collar, Catholic city. If DBQ has any kind of bad reputation, maybe that should be an indicator that change is needed. Maybe the unwanted, bad press might get people thinking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,552,742 times
These post brings me back to what I've heard about Iowa City. Many on this website and others I've read that the city has gotten more dangerous than it was in past years. Many made statements its due to the city having a high amount of areas with section 8. This still concerns me hearing about the crime as I could possibly be attending the University of Iowa next fall. Though considering that I have other options, and comparing affordability, how safe a city is will be a really important issue for me.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM

60 posts, read 195,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
These post brings me back to what I've heard about Iowa City. Many on this website and others I've read that the city has gotten more dangerous than it was in past years. Many made statements its due to the city having a high amount of areas with section 8. This still concerns me hearing about the crime as I could possibly be attending the University of Iowa next fall. Though considering that I have other options, and comparing affordability, how safe a city is will be a really important issue for me.
You have nothing to worry about. Next year will be my 4th year here in IC and I have yet to feel unsafe. Actually, I think we should stop saying that safety here is 'not bad' and start saying 'good'. I forgot if you mentioned where you are from, but it's entirely possible that Iowa is safer than there.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 24,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Chicago60614 - Well, that 1.2 percent figure is from the 2000 census I'd guess. 10 years can change a lot of things. I was shocked to find out about the changes to Minneapolis/St. Paul in the last 10 years. So thought I'd ask and see what the locals say.
There are quite a few families who tend to go between here and Chicago, so they may or may not appear on our census even the upcoming 2010. Prescott, Fulton, Marshall, and Audubon are all majority African American schools.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM

57,931 posts, read 50,492,614 times
Dubuque's African-American population has increased since 2000 when it was at 674. According to city-data, the latest statistic is that there are 1,021 African-Americans in Dubuque.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM

65,510 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Dubuque's African-American population has increased since 2000 when it was at 674. According to city-data, the latest statistic is that there are 1,021 African-Americans in Dubuque.
That sounds about right and I would find it hard that there is a school with mostly Black students in Dubuque. Some probably have higher percentages than others, but I would be surprised to find a mostly Black school there. I think Des Moines, Davenport and Waterloo are the only cities with schools that are predominately Black. Cedar Rapids might have a school that is as well. I think Iowa City does too. Sioux City might have one. That's about it. Check GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and look under Iowa for info. NCES is another website that would have such info. and search under "schools, colleges and libraries".

Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That sounds about right and I would find it hard that there is a school with mostly Black students in Dubuque. Some probably have higher percentages than others, but I would be surprised to find a mostly Black school there. I think Des Moines, Davenport and Waterloo are the only cities with schools that are predominately Black. Cedar Rapids might have a school that is as well. I think Iowa City does too. Sioux City might have one. That's about it. Check [URL="http://www.greatschools.net"]GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community[/URL] and look under Iowa for info. NCES is another website that would have such info. and search under "schools, colleges and libraries".
I would agree with this statement. I would also add Burlington as one of those cities who would have schools that are predominately black. Especially, since percentage wise Burlington has more blacks than Sioux City, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids, and I would not be all that shocked if on the next census that Burlington beats out Des Moines percentage wise. Burlington got around 3,000 transplants from Chicago when Tyson's started recruiting workers in the Chicagoland area. On top of the AA that were already in the city which could put the AA percentage in the double digits.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico dusty View Post
I would agree with this statement. I would also add Burlington as one of those cities who would have schools that are predominately black. Especially, since percentage wise Burlington has more blacks than Sioux City, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids, and I would not be all that shocked if on the next census that Burlington beats out Des Moines percentage wise. Burlington got around 3,000 transplants from Chicago when Tyson's started recruiting workers in the Chicagoland area. On top of the AA that were already in the city which could put the AA percentage in the double digits.
Interesting that you brought up Burlington, as I was thinking about that city and wondered why for a relatively mid major city by Iowa standards. that the Black/AA percentage is relatively higher. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a school with mostly Black students and even smaller cities like Keokuk and Fort Madison have Black percentages that are noticeable/decent, all things considered.

Iowa cities are interesting, as those with at least 25,000 people have at least a few Black folks in terms of percentage. So, if you look at a city in Iowa of at least that size and up, the Black percentage will be in the 3-13% range, give or take. Waterloo has the highest percentage, with Davenport and Des Moines being close behind. All of those cities have had good sized Black communities since the end of WW2 that came by way of Northern migration.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 PM

From what I saw, Prescott has the highest percentage of Black student at 35% according to the NCES information. It could be higher this year though. Aububon was 23%, Fulton was 18%, Lincoln was 28%, Washington and Jefferson Middle Schools were 10% and Dubuque Senior was 7%.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 PM

From what I saw, Prescott has the highest percentage of Black students at 35% according to the NCES information. It could be higher this year though. Aububon was 23%, Fulton was 18%, Lincoln was 28%, Washington and Jefferson Middle Schools were 10% and Dubuque Senior was 7%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa