Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,337 times

Advertisements

I live in Iowa and am moving to California but somebody has to be joking about leaving Iowa for the nice friendly Californians. Have fun getting robbed. Really.

I'm not from Iowa but for me the people have been very nice and friendly.... I'm young and even older folks, who I'd expect to be rude and unfriendly to me as a young outsider, have been lovely. If you think Iowans are very unfriendly then maybe you're on the wrong block, or hanging out at the wrong places, or acting the wrong way. There are cultural differences everywhere, and newcomers in any location can easily give the natives a bad vibe without intending to... I think a lot of it is down to how you behave and the vibe that you give.

And who says Iowans are dumb? It's rural but one of the smartest states in the country, on educational levels. And personally all ages when I talk to people, compared to much of the country I get a good impression.

One thing I like here is even the old school religious conservative types tend to be progressive, smart, and reasonable, rather than oppressive, judgemental, dumb churchy types like I've experienced in other states.

And all the general aspects of 'running a society', like with education, policing, good behavior (lack of crime), service work, etc etc everyone just does a good job at being a citizen here - unlike so many other parts of the USA in my opinion.
The people who tend to be nuisances in my experience are more often people who aren't from Iowa, but moved there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinehart View Post
I grew up in Iowa and moved to the Minneapolis area about 12 years ago. I agree that some native Iowans are slow to accept new comers. Life is slower in Iowa, which isn't a bad thing, but I don't think my city girl wife and suburban kids will find it very exciting.

I'm looking to move again because of the skyrocketing cost of living in Minnesota, and I have an opportunity to work in Iowa, but the income taxes and property taxes are not much different than Minnesota. Does anyone have any comments on the Des Moines area as far as living costs, taxes, crime, etc.

I'm also pursuing opportunities in Tennessee, which would save me a lot of money per year in taxes, but some of the people seem like Iowans, slow to accept new comers. I don't necessarily mind the closed minded people, in time they'll come around, but the taxes and weather are pushing me towards TN.

Thanks for your comments,
Dave
Maybe it's just cause I'm from Iowa City which has a large university and is growing fast - but it always seemed very open to new people. I hear a lot how "Iowa is unwelcoming to new people". Is this just more the small towns or stangant cities? I would think Des Moines and Iowa City (for example) are pretty open and nice places for new people.

I remember growing up in Iowa City as a 10 year old. I was on my grandparents porch one afternoon and this hispanic man was storming up to the house. (there weren't a lot of hispanics in Iowa in 1993) My grandparents were very confused who this man was, but we all went up to the door and said hello. Turns out he just moved nextdoor to my grandparents (who grew up lilly white on a farm in southwest Iowa in the 20's) from southern New Mexico and didn't know anything about Iowa. They were going to study at the university. It was an early 30's man and his wife and their 2 kids. The first thing we did was have them in for something to drink, then went over to look at their house. The next day I came back and my grandparents, my parents and some neighbors showed up to help this guy and his wife move everything into their house. We didn't even think twice, it was just a matter that these people knew no one and we felt nice helping them out. My grandparents ended up being very good friends with that couple until they moved away 4 years later. They still keep in touch with my grandparents and say they can't get over how wonderful and nice everyone in Iowa was during their 4 years there. They were so scared to move there from New Mexico, being hispanic, but said it really changed their opinions on the upper midwest and the people.

Iowa City was full of god fearing people, except it was probably the opposite of what most people think of "god fearing". Maybe it's just the liberal progressiveness of the city, but I NEVER got any conservative-christian types trying to blast me with religion. I think a lot of people in Johnson County would be pretty offended if someone came up to them spouting Christian rheteoric.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
The older generation of people in Iowa are actually the nicest.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,925 times
Default could post a big long post ..but what would be the point

my suggestion to all of you who are haters of Iowa...MOVE THE H*LL back to where you came from! This is like coming to America because you don't like your own country and then B*tch because you don't want our flag flying but you want to accept our handouts!

I was born and raised in Iowa and what I love is that you know the small town people who have lived here all their life. They care about the town..want to keep it nice and work hard. Yeah you get scum..name me a town where you can't find scum somewhere. That makes us lifers work even harder to clean it up!

Wow I've read some really harsh comments about Iowa that I take as a personal attack...but then would probably bash whatever state you moved here from.

I love it when people say.."Oh boo hoo there is nothing to do here." Whoa lack of imagination there. We have art museums (oh wait that would be too deep because you need to be entertained...here's a thought move to Branson or Las Vegas)...we have nightclubs, eating establishments, theaters, restaurants, ....wow almost everything that every other state has...minus a LOT of the crime rate! Sorry you have to give up your entertainment factor for my family and their safety but OH WELL!

I'll sit back and chuckle at all of you who want to diss on Iowa but are probably living off of our state welfare system! That is the one thing Iowa should do different is tighten up the handouts.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM

166 posts, read 614,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeb99 View Post
I will be moving to the midwest soon and am possibly looking at Iowa. I am wondering from the people who live there how it is? Do they have as much cold weather and mosquitos as their neighbor minnesota? how are the roads and stuff? is traffic a problem there?
Traffic is not a problem, yes to cold weather & mosquitos, add a ton of flies to that - and the roads are so-so.

I hate living here. If you are looking at the midwest, why not look to the north and try Minnesota, or the east and try Illinois? Each have higher paying jobs, and more quality-of-life environments.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM

166 posts, read 614,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ell View Post
my suggestion to all of you who are haters of Iowa...MOVE THE H*LL back to where you came from! This is like coming to America because you don't like your own country and then B*tch because you don't want our flag flying but you want to accept our handouts!

I was born and raised in Iowa and what I love is that you know the small town people who have lived here all their life. They care about the town..want to keep it nice and work hard. Yeah you get scum..name me a town where you can't find scum somewhere. That makes us lifers work even harder to clean it up!

Wow I've read some really harsh comments about Iowa that I take as a personal attack...but then would probably bash whatever state you moved here from.

I love it when people say.."Oh boo hoo there is nothing to do here." Whoa lack of imagination there. We have art museums (oh wait that would be too deep because you need to be entertained...here's a thought move to Branson or Las Vegas)...we have nightclubs, eating establishments, theaters, restaurants, ....wow almost everything that every other state has...minus a LOT of the crime rate! Sorry you have to give up your entertainment factor for my family and their safety but OH WELL!

I'll sit back and chuckle at all of you who want to diss on Iowa but are probably living off of our state welfare system! That is the one thing Iowa should do different is tighten up the handouts.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is who you'll find when you move to Iowa.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Exactly, it is too cult-like. Pick up the Des Moines Register one day and count the number of times they use the word "Iowans".

Iowans like butterball turkey, Iowans don't like long lines while shopping, Iowans prefer Target to Wal-Mart, Iowans prefer barbecue sauce to ranch, etc.

It's absurd. Not every person there considers themselves "Iowan". They could say people, residents, or locals. If you live in Iowa, you are forced to think like an "Iowan".

Old 11-24-2007, 12:39 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Exactly, it is too cult-like. Pick up the Des Moines Register one day and count the number of times they use the word "Iowans".

Iowans like butterball turkey, Iowans don't like long lines while shopping, Iowans prefer Target to Wal-Mart, Iowans prefer barbecue sauce to ranch, etc.

"Iowans are ignorant", "Iowans are racist", "Iowans are more ignorant than the children of illegal immigrants"

Old 11-24-2007, 02:31 PM

You believe Iowa isn't behind other parts of the country in any aspects. That is your prerogative, as it is mine to believe it is. You probably think it's the center of the world, judging by how mad you get when someone disagrees with you.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if you thought that way.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:40 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Ronnie, not everyone is out to get you. Like I said in the other thread, I'm willing to help you talk out your issues. Just reach out a little, buddy, and we'll reach back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa