Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM

154 posts, read 907,393 times

Advertisements

Maybe the people in Burlington are more unhappy than the rest of the state. Who knows. All I know is that they didn't treat me very well, everyone seemed depressed and it made my time living there miserable. I was actually looking FORWARD to moving there at first, it was so pretty and I loved all the open space, river, etc.. But then after a few months of trying to find a job and make friends, I realized it was NOT the kind of place I thought it was. Instead of them moping around and feeling sorry for themselves because everyone is moving out, maybe they should try to make it a little more inviting to new people who are willing to help liven up the place with new businesses, a younger vibrant population, fresh ideas, etc.. Seemed like the people in Burlington were not open to that at all. I definitely got the feeling of "If you don't like it, then leave" attitude. I've NEVER experienced that anywhere else but there. So maybe it just certain towns that are like that and not the whole state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM

638 posts, read 970,859 times
Well I have never actually been to Burlington, but I am aware that it is struggling economically. Hopefully the town will get its act together someday, along with other declining towns in that area. I don't know for sure if those economic issues would cause a certain mentality among some of the locals, but I think it's fair enough to throw it out there as a possibility. Sorry about your negative experiences.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,398,249 times
Well just south of Burlington is Lee Co, which I believe still has the highest poverty rate in the state, as well as a big drug problem, so yes there is a lot of negativity that you wouldn't find in your typical small Iowa town/city.

I actually find that people in small town IA are actually quite content with where they live, and are pretty positive people... however, being orginally from SE IA, I can definitely tell you there is a different attitude among people down there which really can get to you.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Well I guess I didn't spend enough time in SE Iowa to notice an "attitude" but I did notice that some of the locals spoke with a southern accent.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
Well I guess I didn't spend enough time in SE Iowa to notice an "attitude" but I did notice that some of the locals spoke with a southern accent.
Well, "negative attitude" is what I meant... and yep you are absolutely correct, very Missouri influenced drawl down there.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM

It kind of surprises me to think that the southern influence in Missouri stretches as far north as Iowa, considering that Missouri is technically a Midwestern state. Maybe the southern influence that stretches into SE Iowa is a trait of the Mississippi River?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,097,468 times
When I moved to California from Cedar Rapids, all the kids at the new school I went to in California always commented on me and my sister"s accent. Which was news to us because we never knew we had an accent. I do remember going back to Iowa to visit friends and that is when I noticed the little twang some of them had. Kinda funny. :-)

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM

681 posts, read 3,025,965 times
I know exactly what you're talking about, metro. I wonder if some of it is just resignation. It seems like a lot of the older people you meet down there (for example, my dad, who's really only middle aged) have a lot of memories about "better times"--when things were more prosperous, more pride, people didn't move away like they do now. There's not the same hope or motivation to grow and change like there is in other parts of the state. I don't think S/SE Iowa used to be the "backwater" of the state, at least not to such a degree--but now that we have been for 20 years, I think it's affected people. Of course, that's not to say there's not positive, forward thinking people there too (again, like my dad ).

The drawl? I've noticed that too. It's not as bad in S. Iowa as it is in the first few counties of N. Missouri, but it's there. Which is bizarre since it's not really present over to the west...and doesn't really pick up until south of St. Louis.

And Burlington. I don't know what to make of Burlington. It's a charming little town...just beautiful. But it just can't seem to get going. I suspect they've just got too many eggs in the manufacturing basket. Still, I think long-term if they can get it turned around...they've got a lot more to offer than Ottumwa. I look at Quincy, IL--a very similar town that's getting turned around..and it gives me some hope for them.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 PM

No no no, I would never go as far to say there are no forward-thinking/positive people down there either, and I'm sure your Dad is one of them.

And I really hate to "turn people away from the area" so to speak, here on the forum, but really I don't think I would feel right telling people they would be happy there as an outsider in it's current state of *existence.* If the area were to see an economic turn-around, which certainly is not impossible, I would be more than happy to tell people to move there.

Not only is the IL-IA-MO Tri-State rich in beauty geographically, but also historically. There is a lot of Native American history (as with all of IA) .. as well as Mormon history, which a lot of people don't know about. I.E. Mormon Temple at Nauvoo, and millions of visitors/tourists that have flocked the area within the last 5-6 years. I've also noticed a lot of locals have quite the animosity for the "Nauvoo Revitalization" if you will, and I guess it makes sense, because many of the people who drove the Mormons out in the first place were the local's ancestors. (right? ) I guess I saw it from a neutral viewpoint... at least it brings people to the area, I certainly thought it would have brought more of an economic advantage to the Tri-States than it has. (Considering most visitors have to stay in hotels on the IA side of the River, or at Quincy.)

Well anyway... this is somewhat of a rant, just putting my thoughts out there.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,056 times
Default Iowa

I can't disagree that Iowa is a difficult state to live in. However, there are some good towns. I am not very familiar with Burlington but I have never cared for Ottumwa very much. It is a bit rough for my taste. I prefer Des Moines, Iowa City and Ames. I live in Pella and it is a wonderful small community but it is one of those that takes a long time to feel accepted in. I am very comfortable here and for the most part happy, but I see a lot of people moving in that struggle with finding their niche. I have never found mine, but I am past that now and don't let it bother me anymore. The worse thing about Iowa, is the weather. It is so unpredicable and down right cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa