Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,934 times

Advertisements

Iowa is what it is. Here are my observations since moving here three years ago. I consider myself assertive and outgoing and have had a hard time making any friendships that have any sort of depth at all. Some people tend to be standoffish, I've run into that in other places I've lived but not like it is here. Winters are cold and snowy while spring and summer are beautiful. Traffic doesn't exsist and the cost of living is fantastic. Schools are good.

In my opinion if you are ready to settle down and start a family, any of Iowa's larger cities would be an excellent choice. If you consider yourself a career trailblazer, someone who wants to make a mark in any professional industry, it's possible but Iowa probably isn't the best choice.

Different strokes for different folks. I can't cite this but there was a great statistic I read recently, for every ten people you meet, two of them won't like you. It's impossible to get along with everyone. Which means you will run into people that you don't like and people that don't like you all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 13,131 times
I am not real crazy about living in Iowa. We have met some really nice people, but it has taken YEARS to make friendships up here, and a LOT of work on our part. We grew up in the south, so we were used to the "southern hospitality" where people stopped and talked to you, waved, asked how you're doing, invited you over for supper. When we moved up here it was a complete culture shock. We got none of that. Most people up here, IMO, are very involved in their families and either don't make time for friends, or they already have a group of friends and are not interested in letting anybody else into their group.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 44,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeb99 View Post
I will be moving to the midwest soon and am possibly looking at Iowa. I am wondering from the people who live there how it is? Do they have as much cold weather and mosquitos as their neighbor minnesota? how are the roads and stuff? is traffic a problem there?
we don't get nead as much snow and cold weather as they do in MN. it depnds on the part of the state you live in. I live in SE Iowa and from here to Cedar Rapids it is about 50 minutes. It is always at least 10 degrees warmer here than in CR. The mosquitos aren't too bad as long as you aren't by the river. Overall Iowa takes better care of it's roads than IL, MN and MO (in my opinion). Traffic isn't much of a problem unless you are in DSM. You have the morning noon and after work rush but it isn't bumper to bumper like Chicago.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 13,131 times
Why is it that anytime anyone says something about Iowans being reserved and how they don't like it here, the Iowans just want to say that these people must be rude and have a problem themselves and should just leave the state? I have been up here 10 years. I have been nice to people, invited people over for coffee, getting involved with church, trying to get to know people. The problem is that people are so busy that they don't seem to make time to get to know anyone. Maybe if Iowans would be a little more open to newcomers, take an interest in them, include them in some things then people moving to Iowa wouldn't have such negative experiences here.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 16,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decomama View Post
Oh Cactussam you are so right. The People of Iowa are ssssssoooooo discriminating and they love to play games. They have had nothing better to do. Yea daycarelady you are an el local that are nice to our faces and then watch soap operas and gossip. No outsiders, we'll never be accepted I have heard over and over. well if you are so holy then STAY IN iOWA AND DON'T MOVE TO OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY. You see people, Iowans think they can move anywhere but they always come back home at retirement age and go back to discriminating. The small towns are all welfare states meaning these countys get moneys from the government and give it to the same old people, you know cronyism. it keeps them employed, that's all it does now. Never mind making noticable improvements. And if you as an outsider comes up with a great idea, they will shoot it down because an outsider brought it up. Absolutely NO DEMOCRACY IN THIS STATE. I am on the Mississippi River and theres too much imbreadfing here.
Sure daycarelady. Thats why I found a site "Iowa, where good men look bad and bad men look good". Some evil crap goes on in this state. Oh and outsiders, make sure your not being raped and pillaged on your property taxes. That's one of the "locals" games. check Beacon home. Hopefully your county is on this site and you can find out what your unfriendly neighbors are paying. I was astounded! Also what condition they have your home rated. Mine is in total need of everything, but they put "above normal" when it should be "below normal." But this way, they can tax me more.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM

23 posts, read 77,075 times
Any place you live will be what you make of it. I've seen newcomers who are disappointed that life isn't exactly what they expected, and are very negative as a result. It's hard to remain friendly to them when all they do is dog their neighbors. Those who move here from elsewhere and are easy-going and happy to take their well-being into their own hands, though, are very welcomed. Every small town needs positive, smart, and efficacious people to contribute to the community. POSITIVE is the key. Cactus Sam clearly was not, and I would find it very difficult to maintain the friendly new neighbor relationship. One example I know is a guy who, for some reason, moved here to be a gas station cashier. He always complains about how many people use cash instead of plastic and how antiquated people are around here. I sometimes see him at the bar sitting alone, and I'd like to invite him over to sit with my group, but I'd rather not let him bring down the fun. We leave him to his misery and hope he can find someplace to be happy. I find living here thoroughly entertaining. It's great for people-watching, for enjoying the stars and fresh air, for knowing I can generally trust leaving my pickup parked on the street with the doors unlocked and with valuables in the bed, and for being able to make a positive difference in my community. It's very easy to feel valued, once you break the newcomer barrier. I usually keep busy enough with entertainment and night life in a small town, but I'm also a short drive from both Sioux City and Omaha, which keep metropolitan/urban cultures easily accessible. Well, these urban centers aren't exactly LA or Shanghai, but they're just fine. Some of the previous posters also were very negative about dumpy small town real estate. Yes, it's a mix. Some towns have cultures of poor upkeep, and some take care of things better. It's important to remember people are different. You have the freedom to choose good neighborhoods over bad neighborhoods. The town where I work, Denison, has many beautiful Victorian homes being restored to their original grandeur, yet we still have lower-income neighborhoods that are less grand. A full town needs contributors of all income levels. Thanks for considering Iowa, blakeb99. It's nice.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,022 times
Default moving to davenport for chiro school

hi everyone, i dont know if this is the right thread, vey sorry if it is not,
moving to davenport for chiro school, where do i live, what do i wear, is it
safe the school wont give me the crime stats. Is there entertainment,
and shopping and fun? Or will i be locked in my chiro apt. on brady street
studying for 4 years. Are there any anglican churchs? what is up with the quads cities? what does that mean?

perplexed in michigan suburbs.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,971 times
well, I am a foreigner and I have been living in Iowa for two years. My first cultural shock was the weather, it's extremely cold and extremely hot. People are very nice and welcoming, especially in the C. falls area, however, there are whackos out there too( not too many). Yeah somebody said people are laid back here and they are. But I appreciate their being nice and saying hello to people on the street. When I frst came here, I was expectign something different, I was expecting some sort of cold people around, but I was surprised. At UNI, people are great!
If you are studying or if you are busy, this place is perfect because you have 0 interruptions. You have pretty much everything you need. However, this is not N.Y or Chicago, and that implies that when it comes to restaurants and things to do in your free time, there is not really much. During the two years I've lived in C. Falls, I was extremely busy working on my M.A. so i barely had any time (if not any at all) to go out, and this was great because the environment was perfect to get things done.
Now... you don't really see many people on the street here. In fact, everybody stays inside (due to the weather) winters are hard here but fun! I loved all that snow (tonsss)
Iowa is a welcoming state, I love it, there are many small-towns attitudes, and areas like C. falls are ridiculously safe!!! seriously, liek I can't believe people leave their cars unlocked! ha ha. One night I forgot my laptop outside in its bag, and next morjnng it was there ha ha ha ha. I loved that!
For studying Iowa is great ( Ican't imagine studying for a master's in N.Y.aggh), I think it depends on your personality. My mom has been here for two months and she has loved it too, but she is very social and outgoing so she thinks Iowa can get really boring. in my case, i don't care, maybe if you told us a little bit more about yourself we could help you decide =)
I hope this info helped.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl04 View Post
I am not real crazy about living in Iowa. We have met some really nice people, but it has taken YEARS to make friendships up here, and a LOT of work on our part. We grew up in the south, so we were used to the "southern hospitality" where people stopped and talked to you, waved, asked how you're doing, invited you over for supper. When we moved up here it was a complete culture shock. We got none of that. Most people up here, IMO, are very involved in their families and either don't make time for friends, or they already have a group of friends and are not interested in letting anybody else into their group.
True! my mom complaisn about that too. But see it's a matter of personality. I am pretty much like I don't care about my neighbor, but my mom dies to talk to people. But I agree with you, Iowans are like that and I think because they are like so freaking busy!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 16,327 times
Default Wonderful corrupt Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.kahl View Post
Any place you live will be what you make of it. I've seen newcomers who are disappointed that life isn't exactly what they expected, and are very negative as a result. It's hard to remain friendly to them when all they do is dog their neighbors. Those who move here from elsewhere and are easy-going and happy to take their well-being into their own hands, though, are very welcomed. Every small town needs positive, smart, and efficacious people to contribute to the community. POSITIVE is the key. Cactus Sam clearly was not, and I would find it very difficult to maintain the friendly new neighbor relationship. One example I know is a guy who, for some reason, moved here to be a gas station cashier. He always complains about how many people use cash instead of plastic and how antiquated people are around here. I sometimes see him at the bar sitting alone, and I'd like to invite him over to sit with my group, but I'd rather not let him bring down the fun. We leave him to his misery and hope he can find someplace to be happy. I find living here thoroughly entertaining. It's great for people-watching, for enjoying the stars and fresh air, for knowing I can generally trust leaving my pickup parked on the street with the doors unlocked and with valuables in the bed, and for being able to make a positive difference in my community. It's very easy to feel valued, once you break the newcomer barrier. I usually keep busy enough with entertainment and night life in a small town, but I'm also a short drive from both Sioux City and Omaha, which keep metropolitan/urban cultures easily accessible. Well, these urban centers aren't exactly LA or Shanghai, but they're just fine. Some of the previous posters also were very negative about dumpy small town real estate. Yes, it's a mix. Some towns have cultures of poor upkeep, and some take care of things better. It's important to remember people are different. You have the freedom to choose good neighborhoods over bad neighborhoods. The town where I work, Denison, has many beautiful Victorian homes being restored to their original grandeur, yet we still have lower-income neighborhoods that are less grand. A full town needs contributors of all income levels. Thanks for considering Iowa, blakeb99. It's nice.
It sounds nice where you are Kenneth. But I am in Northeast Iowa and it is VERY corrupt. We even had 2 women from the Iowa Main St assessment program come here. We told them what they do to outsiders. Higher property taxes, not stating the right condition of the house. getting fined by the city (Don't fine the locals) voting everything down that would benefit the city (keeps people out) corrupt real estate agents, ect. AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAID? "Oh we hear that alot" SO THE STATE KNOWS ABOUT THIS AND DOES NOTHING! Not only do they not want us, when we decide to put our property up for sale, ours is always worth what it is assessed at while the locals is listed for $100,000 more than the assessed value. They want our property for nothing. So it's, hey, you'll never be accepted here (and who the hell would want to be accepted by these discriminatory people) and by the way when you leave, your not going to get what your property is worth. I am just collecting all the real estate info I can and it looks very bad for the agents who participate in this behavior here. HEAR THAT STATE OF IOWA!

Last edited by decomama; 08-02-2009 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: mispelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa