Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

TGFSM. We are saved again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 04:22 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT70 View Post
I was told that "Iowa" was an acronym for Idiots Outside Walking Around. I still considered moving there some day, but not after reading the posts here.
KT7O

if you want to see some 'floating' around in the air, go down to Maharishi University in Fairfield, IA. Bet you don't have that where you live.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 76,662 times
Ya know, I had never heard of the Maharishi city or the Maharishi university until reading about it on these posts.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
Ya know, I had never heard of the Maharishi city or the Maharishi university until reading about it on these posts.
have you heard of the Amish near Independence, IA? They don't float but ride in horse drawn buggies.

Iowa has all sorts of interesting people.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:14 PM

8 posts, read 76,662 times
Yep, I have heard of the Amish. There are quite a few of them around here. They fit in pretty well. They don't seem to do anything that is out of the ordinary, except they do have buggies with horses.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Yep, I have heard of the Amish. There are quite a few of them around here. They fit in pretty well. They don't seem to do anything that is out of the ordinary, except they do have buggies with horses.
there are Old German Baptists not too far from where I live. they're a little like the Amish the way they dress but more modern in that they use powered farm machinery, drive autos, etc.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:28 PM

13 posts, read 72,773 times
You wont find nicer people than in Iowa!! I lived there until March of this year-32 years. We had to move to Arizona and I cannot wait to get the heck out of here. Talk about rude and lazy people, cant even take their carts 2 feet to the corral at the stores. Lots of robberies, murderers, rapes, and road rage!! You cant even watch the news out here it is so filled with bad news. Yeah, Iowa has alot of corn, beans, hogs, and cattle. I guess Iowa has alot of hard working people that appreciate where their food comes from, dont see that in AZ. By the way, the Northeast part of Iowa is considered God's Country. Absolutely beautiful!! Cannot wait to get back!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:31 AM

21 posts, read 179,426 times
Anyone ever been to Rocky Mountian High?

I was there in '96, and about 75% of the people there were from Iowa! It was funny though... I went all the way to Estes Park to meet a gal that lived 20 min from my house!!!

As far as problems with the spray getting on gardens, The farmer is liable for any damage that was directly caused by his spray, etc.

Neighbors are very friendly, weather is bearable!

The one and only complaint I have is the Job market... there are a ton of jobs for un educated people in this area (NW Iowa) but for someone that went to college, good luck finding a job that you aren't over qualified for.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowastate View Post
You wont find nicer people than in Iowa!! I lived there until March of this year-32 years. We had to move to Arizona and I cannot wait to get the heck out of here. Talk about rude and lazy people, cant even take their carts 2 feet to the corral at the stores. Lots of robberies, murderers, rapes, and road rage!! You cant even watch the news out here it is so filled with bad news. Yeah, Iowa has alot of corn, beans, hogs, and cattle. I guess Iowa has alot of hard working people that appreciate where their food comes from, dont see that in AZ. By the way, the Northeast part of Iowa is considered God's Country. Absolutely beautiful!! Cannot wait to get back!!!

Iowastate
it sounds like you moved to a bad area in PHOENIX or TUCSON, AZ. all of AZ isn't bad by any means.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I think the Amish are pretty neat although I've heard from some native Iowans that they don't contribute very much support to certain aspects of the Oelwein business economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa