U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 30,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Sam View Post
We moved to Iowa in the late 1990's, after carefully researching as much as we could. (Much like you are doing right now.)

At first we liked the quaintness. It was like going back in time at least 40 years. But, after awhile we grew to despise the place.

Our family's experience with Iowa (along with several other people we met from out of state that moved there and left, also) is:

It is backwards, dirty, moldy and decrepit. The people HATE outsiders and if you do not have any "ties" with relatives in the state, or if you were not born in Iowa - you will never be accepted. Never.

Don't worry about the mosquitos - worry about the stink of hog lots and ethanol plants, the lack of laws, the ignorance and inbreeding of the people.
The rudeness, the moldy restaurants, the dirty stores. Oh, and did I say ignorance? Oh, and how about the run down houses in the dead and dying small towns? Oh, and the meth labs everywhere....everywhere...

We have NOTHING good to say about Iowa except that we sold our house - at a loss, of course. And got the heck out of there. We would have walked away if it hadn't sold, but fortunately it did.

We moved to the desert in California, and are dumbfounded at the nice, friendly people. We hadn't been around friendly people in years. Iowans are not nice people at all. No, not at all - not to outsiders.

I hope my post helps you because I wish people had told us when we were researching Iowa about how backwards it is there. They kept talking about the weather. The weather is nothing. It's being around the people there that is so horrific.

We wasted several years in Iowa. I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy. Go West - you will never regret it.

Remember, the people are a big part of where you move - and Iowa is most definitely not a friendly state. It was a nightmare that is over!!

Think about California, Arizona, etc. People are nice there.

Oh - LOL - just watch the "non-judgemental Christian" Iowans rally up and attack this post! You will laugh. They cannot take any criticism, because they know it is true.

Adios, Iowa - we couldn't move far enough away from you.

We now live in a house in an area with nice people, our house is increasing in value daily, there are many things to do, and the people are NICE again.
OH PLEASE!! I have lived in Iowa for 41 years. It is NOTHING like this bitter cactussam is stating. People are friendly. We have great roads. Winters are cold, summers can be hot. It's a farm state so you have to expect stinking pigs if you are in the rural area. Our schools are among the top in the nation. According to AARP we are in the top 10 for the elderly to retire. There are government assistance programs for old and young. My husband and I are contemplating a move to Greenville, SC to be by our daughter and son in law, but we're both having a hard time pulling ourselves away from Iowa. I'm proud to say I'm from Iowa and find it hard that most people would not find it a great place to live as well, whether you are into rural areas or city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 30,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAIT View Post
My brother moved from south Texas to Iowa a little over a year ago and just loves it. He said the summer months were wonderful compared to what we have to experience here. The people are very friendly, housing is afforable and as far as taxes go, he went from paying almost 5,000 a year in property taxes to just 800.00 a year in Iowa. He did say it took awhile to get use to driving in the ice, but wouldn't move back to Texas for anything. As far as schools go, his children who were both honor students in Texas schools struggled all year to catch up to the children in Iowa schools. I guess it all depends on where you're from and what you want out of life. He enjoys a sense of community in his small Iowa town, something we haven't been able to enjoy in our area of Texas for sometime. Sometimes, getting the most out of life is as simple as knowing where to live.....................
THANK YOU STRAIT for the positive comments on my state of Iowa. I forgot that Iowa Basic Skills tests are used virtually across the country. We have a high standard of education. Companies come into Iowa to find new hires, Iowa is the number one state in the nation for nannies. Property taxes are very reasonable compared to other states. Your quote of 800 is average. In my small town of 500 taxes are $300 for the average. That's cheap by anyones standards!

Old 01-20-2007, 01:25 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,403,751 times
Cactus Sam does make some valid points. While the people in Iowa aren't as mean as he may think, it is not the most accepting place to newcomers. The people do seem rather standoffish, but that is a trait of the upper midwest in general.

It lacks diversity, culture, and excitement. The trade-off is good schools, low crime, and no traffic.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 PM

639 posts, read 901,238 times
Default Depends where your from I guess

If you’re from California, Texas, Florida, or some other high-populated tourist trap Iowa is probably not what you’re looking for. The biggest tourist trap here is probably the Amana Colonies near Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids is a very working class city. It's got quite a bit of industry, especially on the south side.
I heard something about an indoor rainforest near Pella, Iowa, which their working on and I think it might open in 2008 or 2009. Pella is also where they’re building a marina on Red Rock Lake, one of Iowa's biggest lakes.
Des Moines doesn't have much more tourism than any other city its size. There are probably about 500,000 people in the Des Moines metro area.
Iowa City has some neat stuff and only 20 minutes from Cedar Rapids. It's also home to the University of Iowa, which is surprisingly large for a place like Iowa.
Iowa (like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota) is feeling laid back in population, mainly in small towns but also some of it's major cities. I would avoid Waterloo or Council Bluffs. There both in pretty bad shape. The only reason to live in Council Bluffs is to be close to Omaha. I would pick Des Moines or Iowa City. Ames is a very nice town too. It's only about 30 to 45 minutes from Des Moines.
The current problems in Iowa besides the ones that have been around since the 1980s would be the towns with large Hispanic populations, which are home to large meatpacking plants. Those towns also tend to have a large numbers of drug problems. Speaking of drugs meth is a huge problem in Iowa. 2004 was a year when they ranked 2nd in meth lab seizures.
Well, I think I've said enough so I'll let you go. Hope I've been helpful.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 23,095 times
I moved to Burlington Iowa when I was 8 and stayed until I was 20. I moved to California for 6 years, then moved back to Burlington again. The last poster that bad mouthed Burlington... I don't see that at all. I have met very few close minded people here, and I know more then a few interracial couples and outsiders that are accepted by the community. Compared to the towns I've seen in California, Burlington is a great place to live. I even brought a girlfriend back with me from California and she is having no problems at all fitting in here, despite being a native californian.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 AM

28,717 posts, read 42,554,830 times
Thumbs up On the plus side

If Cactus Sam and his ilk liked it here we'd have to continue to put up with them. Since they hate it and left someone else has to!

I rate that a ten.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:35 PM

154 posts, read 860,582 times
I didn't mean to "bad mouth" Burlington, I was just speaking truthfully about my personal experiences living there. Obviously there is a place in this world for everyone, and Burlington just wasn't it for me. I do notice that most people who are from there, will defend it to no end. That is another thing I forgot to add to my original post, the people there seemed very "territorial." Sorry if I offended any locals but this website is for people like me to share my experiences right? Burlington is dying town that is in serious need of remodeling, new businesses, and fresh faces. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 23,095 times
I do agree that we need new businesses here. Right after I moved back I helped start a new business and so far we are doing decently.

We're slowly becoming a popular place for teenagers to come and hangout.

We've even had a few writeups in the local papers because they are so happy to have new business in the area.

I'm also not trying to be territorial, I just don't see many of the things mentioned around here. Sure we have our share of people like you described, but I don't think it's the majority.

My younger brother plans on moving to California like I did, because he's "bored" here. We'll see if he comes back or not.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 27,847 times
Thumbs down Don't Move To Burlington!

Well Folks I gotta tell ya, I'm with Cactus Sam on how things are here in Burlington, Iowa. I moved back here after researching property rates and changing my profession to Real Estate. So I do know about the properties here. They are dirty and decrepid and falling down all around. The Taxes are higher than in California. He is also right about the treatment from these so called "Iowan's" which is okay if you can get past all the ignorance to only then have to deal with theives and druggies which makes up for most of the population. The theives here are mainly Real Estate Company Owner's, they are so desparete, they not only steal from their clients but take whatever their Realtors bring in the offices and that is very rampid in this town. I have worked with a couple of these places to see how they operate and I tell ya, this is not a great place to be.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:10 PM

639 posts, read 901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If Cactus Sam and his ilk liked it here we'd have to continue to put up with them. Since they hate it and left someone else has to!

I rate that a ten.

Hey Tek Freek? Reread Cactus Sam's post and then read this one. Belly laugh guaranteed!

This thread is entitled Cactus Sam: A Director's Cut:

"Iowa is NOT backwards, dirty, moldy or decrepit. The people DON'T hate outsiders and if you do not have any "ties" with relatives in the state, or if you were not born in Iowa - you will STILL be accepted. Still."

"It's a farm state so you have to expect the stink of hog lots and ethanol plants, and in a state with no major cities you also have to expect at least a small lack of laws, but the ignorance and inbreeding of the people is just another phrase made up by our dear friend Cactus Sam."

"The rudeness is only common in certain rural communities, the restaurants are fine, the stores are fine. Oh, and did I NOT say ignorance? There are many dying small towns but there are also many that are thriving. Meth is no more of a problem in Iowa than California (the current residence of Cactus Sam). Not to mention that most of the meth in Iowa is shipped from the California/Mexico border."

"I have PLENTY of good things to say about Iowa including the fact that Cactus Sam is gone - at a relief, of course. And we got him the heck out of here. The house that Cactus Sam USED to live in Iowa was sold to some NICER outsiders."

"We last saw Cactus Sam heading west to the desert in California, and we are happy with the nicer, friendly outsiders in our state. We hadn't had friendly outsiders in years. Cactus Sam was not nice at all. No, not at all - not to Iowa."

"I hope my post helps you because I wish people had told us when Cactus Sam was first coming to Iowa. He kept running us down. Outsiders are welcome. It was welcoming Cactus Sam that was so horrific."

"We have been damaged for several years by the criticism of Cactus Sam. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Visit Iowa, or live here – you will never regret it."

"Remember, outsiders are a big part of Iowa's economy - and Cactus Sam was most definitely not a friendly one. He was a nightmare that is over!!"

"Think about Kevin Costner (Field of Dreams), Gene Wilder (U of I graduate), etc. Those are some nice outsiders."

"Oh - LOL - just watch the “Critical Cactus Sam” rally up and attack this post! You will laugh. He cannot take any criticism, because he knows it is all true."

"Adios, Cactus Sam - we couldn't be more proud to be rid of you."

"We have recovered from the aftermath of Cactus Sam and replaced him with some nice outsiders, Iowa is increasing its economy, there are many MORE things to do, and the outsiders are NICE again."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa