U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 PM

1,811 posts, read 7,217,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo-iowa View Post
If you move to Ames or anywhere else in iowa,shortly after you will be saying(oh my god these people).Unless you move to waterloo, waterloo do not have that iowa feel to it, thank god.
An enlightened informative post. As someone who has lived in Washington state, Oregon, Alaska, Nevada, Utah, Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, Texas, and Virginia, I think the people in Ames are quite balanced and educated.

Last edited by coolcats; 04-04-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM

36 posts, read 105,711 times
Ames was named in some magazine as one of the best places to raise a family. Excellent schools, no crime, and affordable living. Minneapolis is a lot cooler but more criminal activity and expensive place to live.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,058,097 times
Quote:
have read that Eagan, Woodbury, Rochester, Eden Prarie, Plymouth, Apple Valley, etc all have small home town feels and the commute to the city is not bad. I am just affraid if we have to live in Ames that I won't be happy. I want there to be more than just farmland and a University. I like a simple life but I don't want to be bored or not have an all around living experience for my children.
I've lived in the Twin Cities the large majority of my life and have only minimally been in Ames, IA for a couple days here and there, but these towns will not compare to Ames if you want a small town. These are not small towns, these are straight up cookie-cutter suburbs.

If you want small town in the Twin Cities, look at Red Wing, Stillwater, Delano, Anoka, Forest Lake, Mahtomedi, and White Bear Lake; I am a big fan of White Bear so definitely look there.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 PM

73 posts, read 505,336 times
As others have said, it really depends on whether you and your family want to live in a metro area or if you want to live in a university town. I think "university town" is a better descriptor for Ames than "small town." The university brings a lot more diversity, culture, concerts, and sporting events (go Cyclones!) than you would find in a small town (or in a suburb). And because it's not a suburb Ames has its own identity and sense of community, which is not something I can say about the Twin Cities suburbs.

I'm from Ames but also lived in the Twin Cities area for several years after college. I enjoyed both places but they are different. In Ames you can get anywhere you need to be within 20 minutes and without driving on the interstate (a plus in my book). My dad's office wasn't very far from our home or from my school, so it was easy for him to travel between those places throughout the workday when needed. In contrast, when I lived in Mpls/StP I commuted to work 30-45 minutes on I-35. Weekend events and my friends' homes were all over the metro area, so even going out for fun had me driving at least an hour round trip. Yes there is more to do in the cities but it takes more time and effort and stress to get there and do it! When I lived in Ames we would take day trips to Des Moines, and weekend trips to MN, Kansas City, Chicago and other nearby areas. So there is city life within reach, we just weren't living in it every day.

Ames is a fantastic place for kids to grow up. The schools are great, and in addition to the academics, Ames High has strong athletics, music, and theater. I had a lot of fun in Ames, with lots of great people, and there was always something to do. I think it's a great place for kids/families, college students, and retirees. It was not as appealing to me as a "young professional" when I needed a bigger pool of career opportunities and that's why I ended up in Mpls/StP at that point.

Honestly, I can recommend both places cause I think they are both good places to live for their own reasons. It's a matter of which is the best fit for your family, and I'll let you and your husband figure that one out!

EDIT: I forgot to ask, has your husband had a chance to talk with other employees at each place, to find out how they and their families like the area, neighborhoods, amenities, etc? I suppose both places will only tell him good things since they want him to accept their job offer and move there, but that could still be a useful source of info for you as you make your decision.

Last edited by janamc; 04-07-2010 at 12:13 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 AM

28 posts, read 71,030 times
I grew up in Chicago, attended college in Ames for SEVERAL years, moved to Tampa, then Kansas City, back to Tampa, and now I have the possibility to move to Minneapolis like yourself. I would choose Ames over any of those places. Can it get dull? You bet it can, but that is when you take a trip to Chi, Min, KC, or Omaha. And guess what? Des Moines ain't half bad for a good dinner at Centro and shopping at Von Maur.

As far as schools go...can't get any better than Ames. Not only do a great number of the high school teachers also adjunct for the local community college, but you will also have great organized sports; wonderful fine arts programming; and shucks, an outstanding D-1 library at your disposal. Minneapolis is wonderful; however, for your dollar, housing, education,transportation (CY-Ride Rocks!) and public services is unmatched. Good luck! And if it makes a difference, I am a Black man who loves his city life.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,769 times
I grew up in Minneapolis and currently live in Ames, Iowa. I am ready to move home. Ames is a nice enough small town, but I find it a little boring. Don't know if that helps, but I am a city gal and Ames is just too small town for me.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:30 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,849,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolis City Gal View Post
I grew up in Minneapolis and currently live in Ames, Iowa. I am ready to move home. Ames is a nice enough small town, but I find it a little boring. Don't know if that helps, but I am a city gal and Ames is just too small town for me.
IMHO, I would say that is not helpful unless you can supply some specifics. People vary greatly on what characteristics do (or don't) make a city boring to them personally.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:40 PM

8 posts, read 27,782 times
I think the main difference between Ames and Minneapolis is that Minneapolis is a large liberal metro area with high taxes, high crime and high cost of living, which easily explains why Minneapolis is such a lousy place to live. My husband and I just moved to Mississauga, Ontario from Milwaukee about a month ago. Wisconsin, like Minnesota, is a high tax state. Iowa, hopefully, will buck this trend. In other words, don't buy into everything liberals tell you about the benefits of higher taxes.

Ames is a small town, which is a blessing in a lot of ways. I wish Iowa the best and I hope Ames will be a better fit for anyone considering moving there.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 AM

450 posts, read 2,049,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeBroad View Post
I think the main difference between Ames and Minneapolis is that Minneapolis is a large liberal metro area with high taxes, high crime and high cost of living, which easily explains why Minneapolis is such a lousy place to live. My husband and I just moved to Mississauga, Ontario from Milwaukee about a month ago. Wisconsin, like Minnesota, is a high tax state. Iowa, hopefully, will buck this trend. In other words, don't buy into everything liberals tell you about the benefits of higher taxes.

Ames is a small town, which is a blessing in a lot of ways. I wish Iowa the best and I hope Ames will be a better fit for anyone considering moving there.
Taxes are every bit as high in Iowa as they are in Minnesota...

Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,849,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Taxes are every bit as high in Iowa as they are in Minnesota...
Not necessarily. It depends on what type of tax you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa