U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM

60 posts, read 194,053 times

Advertisements

1. What is Finley's Landing doing there? Is it an artificial beach?

2. Why aren't there more beaches along the Mississippi? Instead they dump huge rocks along it. I found a tiny little beach underneath a bridge to Wisconsin but it's got some garbage and twigs and it's not that big. Where are all the beaches!

3. Is there a clean river in eastern Iowa that is not disgusting to swim in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 AM

4,777 posts, read 6,503,751 times
Buffalo IA has a decent beach/campgrounds

When I was a kid we used to swim in the Wapsi near Donahue IA by a place called Allen's Grove. It has a clean pebble type bottom to it, instead of mud. I don't know about any beaches tho'. Killer tubing in the summer.

edit: Iowa City has a beach near the Dam at the state park that I can't remember the name of.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,532,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtapler View Post
1. What is Finley's Landing doing there? Is it an artificial beach?

2. Why aren't there more beaches along the Mississippi? Instead they dump huge rocks along it. I found a tiny little beach underneath a bridge to Wisconsin but it's got some garbage and twigs and it's not that big. Where are all the beaches!

3. Is there a clean river in eastern Iowa that is not disgusting to swim in?
Finley's landing has a nice beach. There is also a very nice campground and a boat dock. There are not as many beaches on the Mississippi river by Dubuque as you would think there would be.

Iowa is not known for having pristine rivers and lakes.

Jasper

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

29 posts, read 81,821 times
Jasper is right, Finley's landling is a nice beach area with plenty of room, marina, campgroung and boat dock/ramp. I believe the reason there are not more 'public beaches' along the shoreline because the river is a working river with moderate barge traffic and also the current can be very strong in certain areas. In addition, the river is very deep and drop off without notice. As an avid boater, we spend a lot of time on the Mississippi and many of the beaches we frequent are on the Illnois side of the river and not accessible by land.

If you are in the Dubuque area, I would recommend the Apple Canyon area (IL) or Goven. Dodge State Park in Wisconsin.

GTKD

Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM

60 posts, read 194,053 times
I've been to Finley's landing before I was just kinda wondering ... why it's there when there are not many other beaches like it?

There are a couple nice beaches on the islands just south of Dubuque, I don't see why there can't be more like them. I think the large rocks they dump along the side of the river are pretty ugly and from what I can gather they are only there to just fill up space.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,532,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtapler View Post
I've been to Finley's landing before I was just kinda wondering ... why it's there when there are not many other beaches like it?

There are a couple nice beaches on the islands just south of Dubuque, I don't see why there can't be more like them. I think the large rocks they dump along the side of the river are pretty ugly and from what I can gather they are only there to just fill up space.

Dubuque is a town that has always been around 50 years or more behind the times. Finally the town is utilizing a wonderful resource the Mississippi river. I do doubt there will ever be a beach real close to town though.

Jasper

Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 9,577 times
The rocks along the shore of the Mississippi are to keep the strong wakes from barges and boats from eroding the shore. They're put there on purpose and they're called riprap. Any nice beaches like Finley's Landing have to be maintained, and that's expensive. That's why there aren't more of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or