U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:47 AM

26 posts, read 77,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
It doesn't matter what I like or what somebody with a horse farm likes. There aren't enough horse farm lovers in the country to increase Iowa's positive demographics in any appreciably way (besides most horsey lovers I know -- who tend to be a snobby bunch -- would rather go to Middleburg, Purcellville, etc. over southern Iowa).
Wow. Talk about generalizations. I'm certain your experience with "horsey lovers" are those located in VA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 19,286 times
Default tree phobia

Plant more trees!
I live in Iowa and I swear Iowan natives have a fear of trees or haven't been anywhere.. Anytime a tree starts getting big you see homeowners taking it down or city crews wacking it off. Other parts of the country that are densely blessed with trees work the houses and roads within the trees. Our area....if there are trees on an area to be developed they don't try to save any of them...just plow them down and squeeze as many houses as possible onto the land. Lots of cement, signs and power poles. UGLY!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,932,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Wow. Talk about generalizations. I'm certain your experience with "horsey lovers" are those located in VA.
Not a generalization at all -- I clearly wrote "most horsey lovers *I* know.

Didn't say all horsey lovers in general, and not even all those I know.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
2) Low Taxes:

I can list a plethora of states that have low tax rates and regulation, but have had little job growth since 2000: Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, Tennesee, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. People don't generally move to those states for jobs unless it is in a metro area or to retire. Many of these states also have big brain drain problems with most of the talented people leaving to metros that are "up and coming."
You are right that low taxes alone will not attract businesses in some circumstances. But holding all other variables equal, businesses will go where taxes are lower.

As a whole the sun belts states have lower taxes and regulation than NE, West Coast and industrial Midwestern states and while the latter areas have experienced net out-migration, the sun belt states have grown. Low taxes and low regulation are two of the several reasons why that has happened.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:01 PM

39 posts, read 157,411 times
In my (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) opinion, I'd move the entire state down to the latitude of at least Branson, Missouri or maybe even central Arkansas. That way we'd still get 4 seasons but winter would be a mere shadow of what we routinely endure now. I'd also turn Nebraska into the Atlantic (yes I know its on the Pacific side of our state, but I like the Atlantic beaches so much more and I wouldn't want to get rid of Illinois due to Chicago being there) Ocean. I don't think there'd be room but I'd move the Rockies to the western tier of Iowa counties (hopefully getting rid of Congressman King in the process). Everything else is just fine for me. I like the people, the educational system and the medical services here as I believe they are close to top tier of what you'll find anywhere.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM

21,653 posts, read 38,058,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You are right that low taxes alone will not attract businesses in some circumstances. But holding all other variables equal, businesses will go where taxes are lower.

As a whole the sun belts states have lower taxes and regulation than NE, West Coast and industrial Midwestern states and while the latter areas have experienced net out-migration, the sun belt states have grown. Low taxes and low regulation are two of the several reasons why that has happened.
Businesses go to those low tax, low regulation, low wage states because they know they will find an easily exploitable population that will work for peanuts due to the fact the population is often undereducated. It is a race to the bottom actually. Southern states have also experienced a lot of outsourcing and offshoring of jobs since 2000 as well- to foreign countries...

Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 PM

507 posts, read 800,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xube View Post
How about some ideas on how we can make Iowa more appealing to those of other parts of the world who may want to visit or live here?

Perhaps the rise in the oceans will force them to move inland. But I don't want millions just a few hundred thousand coming.

How about legalizing prostitution?

Or moving a mountain from Colorado?

Ban Dent# 2 corn monoculture so their children are not poisoned by pesticide/fertilizer residues in air,soil and water.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Businesses go to those low tax, low regulation, low wage states because they know they will find an easily exploitable population that will work for peanuts due to the fact the population is often undereducated. It is a race to the bottom actually. Southern states have also experienced a lot of outsourcing and offshoring of jobs since 2000 as well- to foreign countries...
Is that the reason why there was relocation of substantial number of high-tech population from Northern California to Austin, Texas? Because these high-tech workers are "easily exploitable" who work for "peanuts" etc.?

I think not.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM

19,521 posts, read 23,207,414 times
Quote:
How about some ideas on how we can make Iowa more appealing to those of other parts of the world who may want to visit or live here?
Build a folly somewhere in Iowa. Always a surefire way to bring in tourists.

In Rochester, MN, at the Libby's Canning plant, there's a big ear of corn that towers over the plant, part of the city's skyline.

But to make it a tourist attraction in Iowa, you'd have to go at least 1000, perhaps 1500 feet high, with an observation deck/restaurant/bar on top, where you could get a multi-mile view in every direction.

At 1500 feet, on a clear day, you might even be able to see the Sears Tower in Chicago with a telescope.

Follies have always paid for themselves. The Eiffel Tower (a folly when built) has paid for itself many times over.

Come to think of it, make it 2000 feet high, tallest structure in the U.S., located in little old, overlooked Iowa.

Last edited by tijlover; 08-08-2010 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: ADd a line

Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 PM

332 posts, read 324,137 times
Quote:

Perhaps the rise in the oceans will force them to move inland. But I don't want millions just a few hundred thousand coming.

How about legalizing prostitution?

Or moving a mountain from Colorado?
Eliminate the state income tax. That will put Iowa in a select group, and attract business and wealth to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa