U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM

255 posts, read 785,814 times

Advertisements

I once had a friend who loved iowa so much..he lived in mass and moved there because his family had relocated. But the first chance he got, he went back to iowa. Ialwas wondered what was so cool about it.
It seems flat and boring to me.
Id miss the ocean.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM

255 posts, read 785,814 times
Lol @ 99 counties. Wow. Do u really?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 PM

19,575 posts, read 23,245,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Eliminate the state income tax. That will put Iowa in a select group, and attract business and wealth to the state.
Nevada has no state income tax, and what good has it done this state, with the highest unemployment in the country!

Old 09-09-2010, 01:50 PM

85 posts, read 347,920 times
People need to quit trying to turn Iowa into a destination resort. We don't have beaches and warm weather year round like LA or Miami. We don't have tons of diversity or night life like NYC or Chicago. We probably never will. Don't try to be something you're not. What we do have is a state with friendly laid back people, a slower relaxed lifestyle, no traffic jams, low crime, very low cost of living, good schools, good places to raise a family. People live in Iowa because they like it here, and if others want to have these negative stereotypes of Iowa, when they've never even been here, then the hell with them.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,932,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs View Post
People need to quit trying to turn Iowa into a destination resort. We don't have beaches and warm weather year round like LA or Miami. We don't have tons of diversity or night life like NYC or Chicago. We probably never will. Don't try to be something you're not. What we do have is a state with friendly laid back people, a slower relaxed lifestyle, no traffic jams, low crime, very low cost of living, good schools, good places to raise a family. People live in Iowa because they like it here, and if others want to have these negative stereotypes of Iowa, when they've never even been here, then the hell with them.
But then, that's not the right response for this thread now, is it? That would be the perfect answer for another thread titled "How can we keep Iowa exactly the same and the hell with other people?"

Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM

4,111 posts, read 8,003,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
lol - god I hope you were just being sarcastic with that statement!
No, it wasn't sarcasm. And you wondering if it was sarcasm says a lot about this 11-page thread!

The way to make Iowa more appealing is to tear down cornfields and build a large urban area like Chicago or what Detroit used to be. Period. And yes, I have a decent understanding of economics and I know that agriculture is very important to this country and the world. But if Iowans aren't willing to do this when why are we even having this discussion? '

Iowa's neighbor Illinois is the second largest corn producer in the country (after Iowa). Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure we're the LARGEST producer of soybeans in the country. Chicago, Illinois gets more tourists than any other city in the Midwest. I'm just saying it's possible to do both.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 PM

4,778 posts, read 6,504,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
No, it wasn't sarcasm. And you wondering if it was sarcasm says a lot about this 11-page thread!

The way to make Iowa more appealing is to tear down cornfields and build a large urban area like Chicago or what Detroit used to be. Period. And yes, I have a decent understanding of economics and I know that agriculture is very important to this country and the world. But if Iowans aren't willing to do this when why are we even having this discussion?

Who says a large urban area is appealing? There's no "Period" about it.

Maybe the discussion could be about Iowa towns/cities developing their dowtowns the way Le Claire has and the way Bettendorf and Davenport are in the process of doing.

Making the excellent Iowa school system even better is a point you could make in this discussion.

A world class indoor water park next to an expanded and improved Adventureland. Maybe a Mall of America type deal.

Bring back "Iowa Jam", the weekend long music fest they used to have back in the day.

These and more are reasons to have this discussion.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,932,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Who says a large urban area is appealing? There's no "Period" about it.

Maybe the discussion could be about Iowa towns/cities developing their dowtowns the way Le Claire has and the way Bettendorf and Davenport are in the process of doing.

Making the excellent Iowa school system even better is a point you could make in this discussion.

A world class indoor water park next to an expanded and improved Adventureland. Maybe a Mall of America type deal.

Bring back "Iowa Jam", the weekend long music fest they used to have back in the day.

These and more are reasons to have this discussion.
I wholeheartedly agree that building a Chicago-style urban area is probably not the answer. Chicago may draw young Iowans away from Iowa, but it is not drawing people from other parts of the country, the type of demographic discussed earlier (young affluent professionals). I'd say a good model would be more along the lines of Portland, Oregon.

Iowans often speak of its "excellent school system." This may be true of the universities. Both Iowa State and U of I. are excellent "bang-for-the-buck" schools, especially in the sciences (of course, no one knows or cares about them outside the Midwest). However, contrary to the often heard assertions of Iowans, Iowa's primary and seconary public schools are far from excellent. For example, Iowa's high schools posted middling to low numbers on number of AP classes taken per capita. Iowa ONCE had good public secondary schools, but they have been surpassed by the average. Holding all other variables constant, students in states with teachers unions have not done well in the past 10 years.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 AM

135 posts, read 360,406 times
Reading through this thread I notice one constant ideology followed by most of the posters , "lets make IOWA like someplace else".

Which is precisely the great thing Iowa has going for it !
It is NOT like everywhere else !
For ten years I lived in a city with a population larger than the state of Iowa's compressed into one small area, and I can tell you its not all its harped to be.

Yeah there is lots to do and see , but the hectic lifestyle and horrid traffic sucks the life right out of ya !
Looking back on it those ten years seem like a blur now , the most memorable moments were all traffic , tragedy or crime related !
( I was heading home to Grapevine TX. on HWY 114 when Delta flight 191 came crashing down on the road moments behind me on the very spot I had just driven through !
The car I had just passed in the heavy rain was not so fortunate. )

It is the uniqueness and diversity of our state that makes Iowa , not the cookie cutter monotony of being like everywhere else.

As for pro sports, weve had em for years and are getting more and more all the time !
Get out of ioweyuh city and duh moine and drive to Knoxville , the pros have been racing there for decades , and Iowa Speedway is drawing bigger pro events every year !!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 AM

19 posts, read 40,728 times
This is just my point of view on this. I am planning to relocate to Iowa after I visited there this past summer. You have a WONDERFUL state. Dont mess it up by attracting alot of people to move there or you will end up with another California. You have open space, you have clean air, its wonderful. Just enjoy what you have. People will come and they will be people that appreciate the state for what it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa