U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,403,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oh, come on. That's just silly..

The vast majority of the displaced people who used to live in projects re-located elsewhere in the city - especially south side neighborhoods like Englewood that were ALREADY pretty rough. Otherwise, they relocated to the south or near west burbs where the cost of living is cheap and section 8 is available.. If you're bottom barrel poor and live in the projects, you probably don't even have the means to quickly pack up your stuff and re-locate all the way over to freakin' Iowa.

How many people in Iowa even know about that anyway? That the projects were town down, I mean..

Well OBVIOUSLY you haven't been to Iowa or Iowa City much the past 5 years. In Iowa City I would say about 80% of people know that, because there's been a huge influx of people from Chicago since around 2004, and it's been in the news because unfortunately there's been a lot of crap that's come along with many of the people.

It's a common trend in many cities in the Midwest.

My mother works for the Iowa City district, and my old roommate in Chicago moved to Iowa City to teach. They both said they're astonished at the sheer number of kids transfering into the Iowa districts. My old roommate from Chicago who taught on the West side has actually had 2 of her former students - which I think is crazy random.

During the 2008-2009 school year, the district logged over 300 mid-year transfers from the Chicago Public Schools to the Iowa City Public Schools. Nothing like that has ever happened before.

Just google it, there are lots of stories. There was actually an LA film crew in last year filming a documentary on the migration and the effects its had on both groups. The people moving, and the people already in the community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 AM

4,111 posts, read 8,001,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well OBVIOUSLY you haven't been to Iowa or Iowa City much the past 5 years. In Iowa City I would say about 80% of people know that, because there's been a huge influx of people from Chicago since around 2004, and it's been in the news because unfortunately there's been a lot of crap that's come along with many of the people.
That doesn't mean they're from the projects.. Or from the ghetto at all. They could very well be from a middle class suburb like South Holland or Homewood..

I would expect this from a full-blooded Iowan. But you should know better than to think a black guy who says "I'm from Chicago" means I'm from the projects" or "I'm from the ghetto".

Last edited by urza216; 05-15-2010 at 01:09 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:

It's a common trend in many cities in the Midwest.

My mother works for the Iowa City district, and my old roommate in Chicago moved to Iowa City to teach. They both said they're astonished at the sheer number of kids transfering into the Iowa districts. My old roommate from Chicago who taught on the West side has actually had 2 of her former students - which I think is crazy random.

During the 2008-2009 school year, the district logged over 300 mid-year transfers from the Chicago Public Schools to the Iowa City Public Schools. Nothing like that has ever happened before.

Just google it, there are lots of stories. There was actually an LA film crew in last year filming a documentary on the migration and the effects its had on both groups. The people moving, and the people already in the community.

Hey! I just realized something! You’re the user on the Chicago forum who’s always throwing around that statistic about how blacks and Hispanics in the city commit significantly more murder than whites - but never says a single word about other crime. And the user who then uses this statistic to conclude quote-unquote “Crime in Chicago is as segregated as the neighborhoods” as if to imply that white people are saints who never commit any crime..

According to your screen name, you also live in Lincoln Park and around many other upper-middle-class white transplants.. When did you move there? Was it right after you left Iowa or later on?

Quote:
Well OBVIOUSLY you haven't been to Iowa or Iowa City much the past 5 years.
You're right. I haven't been to Iowa City in a veeeery long time. In all honesty, I kinda forget Iowa even exists sometimes.

Indiana is my friendly neighbor. Indiana may not be the greatest driver but we're still on good terms for the most part. Then there's also Wisconsin. They're my unfriendly neighbor. We hardly ever make small talk or wave or anything. Iowa is around the block - Not really my neighbor at all.

That said, I will be in Iowa City in a couple weeks..

Last edited by urza216; 05-16-2010 at 12:47 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 AM

66 posts, read 168,818 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean they're from the projects.. Or from the ghetto at all. They could very well be from a middle class suburb like South Holland or Homewood..

I would expect this from a full-blooded Iowan. But you should know better than to think a black guy who says "I'm from Chicago" means I'm from the projects" or "I'm from the ghetto".
Forgive my fellow iowans,they don't know any better.I havent heard of nothing going on in iowa city to give them this great fear and concern.they want to grow without growing the black population, i think that is the problem,and also the main reason iowa stay's stuck.it is the fear of change.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,403,057 times
Quote:
You're right. I haven't been to Iowa City in a veeeery long time. In all honesty, I kinda forget Iowa even exists sometimes.

Indiana is my friendly neighbor. Indiana may not be the greatest driver but we're still on good terms for the most part. Then there's also Wisconsin. They're my unfriendly neighbor. We hardly ever make small talk or wave or anything. Iowa is around the block - Not really my neighbor at all.

That said, I will be in Iowa City in a couple weeks..
So basically all that, and you're stating that I was right the whole time??? What was the purpose?

You read a story in which you have no personal involement, and jump to blatant "RACIST" reactions. I'm pretty sure I stated multiple times that it wasn't a RACE issue. It's an economic and social issue. This is the most frustrating thing about talking about social issues in our country. I stated the racial aspects of murder in Chicago in other threads on the topic pointing out the reasons why a lot of the population and powers that be ignore the problem and pass the buck. I wasn't bringing it up in a blame game - and I stated that. For your other question, I've been here my entire adult life, but I still have a very invested love for Iowa and a lot of family back there.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 05-16-2010 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 AM

12,381 posts, read 24,288,721 times
Build a High Rise or Skyscraper in Des Moines shaped like a piece of corn on the cob. Make the glass tinted green / yellow. Make your cities more lively and advertise more , ive never seen an Iowa Tourism ad.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 5,975,893 times
I grew up in Sioux City and graduated from U of Iowa in Iowa City. I moved to Denver after college then on to Austin TX and now Seattle. I just can't ever see going back. It's a big big big world out there. Much of it for me is the weather and the lack of opportunity for my husband who is a big city kid (think LA, San Fran, NYC) and works in high tech. Also I would miss the mountains too much. My husband enjoys visiting Iowa City and Okoboji but beyond that he calls Iowa "the frozen tundra" as we have been snowed in far too many times with subzero temps when home for Christmas. I always think of Iowa as a great place to have a childhood but not an adulthood. But to each his own. A few of my friends who still live there adore it and have very happy lives.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 AM

7,087 posts, read 13,503,346 times
How can we make Iowa more appealing

Spend a month in Alabama.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
So basically all that, and you're stating that I was right the whole time??? What was the purpose?

You read a story in which you have no personal involement, and jump to blatant "RACIST" reactions. I'm pretty sure I stated multiple times that it wasn't a RACE issue. It's an economic and social issue. This is the most frustrating thing about talking about social issues in our country. I stated the racial aspects of murder in Chicago in other threads on the topic pointing out the reasons why a lot of the population and powers that be ignore the problem and pass the buck. I wasn't bringing it up in a blame game - and I stated that. For your other question, I've been here my entire adult life, but I still have a very invested love for Iowa and a lot of family back there.
Wooa there, buddy, Not only did I not call you a racist, I committed a paragraph in a half of material out of respect.

So you've lived in Lincoln Park your entire adult life or what? It's very common for transplants to move to that neighborhood, especially upper middle class white transplants.

How did I state you were right the whole time? What are you talking about?

No "personal involvement"? One of my best friends was stabbed to death in his Uptown apartment. I'd say this gives me a little bit of "personal involvement" on the subject of murder in Chicago.

Or were you talking about no "personal involvement" in Iowa City? You're right. I have very little personal involvement in Iowa City. Does this mean I'm not allowed an opinion to express? And I do have a few old friends out that way, actually.

Mostly though, I just have no idea what you're talking about. Calm down and explain yourself better. Or don't reply at all and we can end this. That works for me too.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 AM

**omitted

Not "committed". Typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa