U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 AM

153 posts, read 263,996 times

Advertisements

How about some ideas on how we can make Iowa more appealing to those of other parts of the world who may want to visit or live here?

Perhaps the rise in the oceans will force them to move inland. But I don't want millions just a few hundred thousand coming.

How about legalizing prostitution?

Or moving a mountain from Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 AM

413 posts, read 1,578,041 times
I would suggest that showing them what's really here, instead of the cornfields that they're generally shown whenever Iowa comes up, makes a huge difference.

Stuff like the Iowa City or Quad Cities photo threads.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:34 PM

66 posts, read 168,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xube View Post
How about some ideas on how we can make Iowa more appealing to those of other parts of the world who may want to visit or live here?

Perhaps the rise in the oceans will force them to move inland. But I don't want millions just a few hundred thousand coming.

How about legalizing prostitution?

Or moving a mountain from Colorado?
Iowa has know cities,too many small towns and way too many counties. Iowa needs too merge connecting cities and towns, and when times get better some type of pro sports, and please stop electing old fart farmers with no creativity too run the state,they seems to be stuck in the 80's.other then this there is no hope in iowa.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,297,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo-iowa View Post
Iowa has know cities,too many small towns and way too many counties. Iowa needs too merge connecting cities and towns, and when times get better some type of pro sports, and please stop electing old fart farmers with no creativity too run the state,they seems to be stuck in the 80's.other then this there is no hope in iowa.

We do not need 99 counties, thats something they could cut to reduce spending and make government more efficient, while hurting the fewest amount of people. Why do the little people always have to get fired ? Why not get rid of some lawyers, judges, sheriffs, court reporters, engineers and the overhead of having to maintain county courthouses that are not needed. We could lose 25 counties, no problem.

To the OP, keeping Iowa safe and clean is what will help the most. We have nice state parks and a fine trail network. Having Lance Armstrong visit our state and ride in Ragbrai can only help attract nice people to our state. At the same time we need to liven up the downtown of smaller cities and demolish and remove eyesores in some of our rougher towns.

Above all we need to discourage illegals from coming here, and change our welfare benefits in such a way as to not make it desireable for the welfare crowd from Chicago, St Louis and KC to move here. Nothing ruins a town more than crime and gang bangers with graffiti sprayed on everything. I really like the work farm idea to help promote our state image, can we get that guy from Arizona to come up here to help us set one of those up ? Can we advertise that our jails are more roomy and able to accommodate more people for longer visits than ever before ? Can we put the prisoners to work detasseling corn or building roads to save a buck ? Can we arrest the prostitutes, sterilize them and use their talents to motivate the male prisoners ? Cool Hand Luke meets Tina that night if he does a hard days work......I KNOW that would work !!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,520,543 times
Well I will be moving to Iowa City this fall for school at the University of Iowa. I definately think Iowa City is appealing, but can offer more than what it has... and would be nice if its really safe and clean also as I've heard about recent crime problems etc... a few horror stories.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:46 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,334,210 times
As a former Iowan who's been gone most of a lifetime, and one who's worked in advertising and public relations for much of that life, EMPHASIZE WHAT YOU HAVE!

Iowa is a great state. I can't tolerate the summer heat and humidity, but it's got great people and quaint towns that can't be beat anywhere. The heck with merging towns, publicize what great places they are for raising kids and knowing your neighbors.

I can't imagine why you'd even want thousands of people moving there. You guys are in the perfect place to enjoy life... if you can stand the humidity.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Well I will be moving to Iowa City this fall for school at the University of Iowa. I definately think Iowa City is appealing, but can offer more than what it has... and would be nice if its really safe and clean also as I've heard about recent crime problems etc... a few horror stories.
Iowa city can not offer more then what it has, theres no room, the town is only 24.2 square miles, small enogh to **** across, take out the college population you have one very small-town. a list of iowa's five (5) major cities in order of size.des moines(75.0) square miles- cedar rapids (63.1) square miles-davenport (62.8) square miles- waterloo (60.7) square miles- sioux city (54.8) square miles)stop the lies already about iowa city.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Iowa city can not offer more then what it has, theres no room, the town is only 24.2 square miles, small enogh to **** across, take out the college population you have one very small-town. a list of iowa's five (5) major cities in order of size.des moines(75.0) square miles- cedar rapids (63.1) square miles-davenport (62.8) square miles- waterloo (60.7) square miles- sioux city (54.8) square miles)stop the lies already about iowa city.
Small enough to p-ss across.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM

4,759 posts, read 6,439,129 times
Quote:

Relax Champ. Who's lying about Iowa City? It's a killer college town with lots to do.

And yes we all understand if you took away the college population you'd have a small town. You can say the same thing about 2/3 of the college towns in the U.S.

Maybe that's why they're called "college towns"

Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Relax Champ. Who's lying about Iowa City? It's a killer college town with lots to do.

And yes we all understand if you took away the college population you'd have a small town. You can say the same thing about 2/3 of the college towns in the U.S.

Maybe that's why they're called "college towns"
with alots to do, ok your story, so tell-it like you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa