U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 AM

252 posts, read 538,060 times

Advertisements

I am an avid Mushroom (morel) hunter and Turkery hunter. Every Spring since I was 14 years old I have been out into the woods around southeastern and central Iowa. It seems like up until a few years ago, a tick was only something you read about in the Boy Scout handbook. Then, around 2004, I started noticing not more than 1 or 2 ticks per turkey hunting season (from April til May, that is). This year, however, seems to be different.

So far, I have been out mushrooming twice; once last Thursday, and once the following Monday. Each time, I picked several ticks off of my clothes. Monday, I wore a red t-shirt and picked about 6 off from me (embedded), 5 which were just crawling, and then flicked about 6 more from my clothes.

Never in my life have I seen as many ticks as I have this year. Also, I have found absolutely no morel mushrooms. What gives? Has anyone else had a simlar observation / luck? Is is it something about the late winter, the rapid warm-up, the red t-shirt? Can anyone offer any insight or share their experiences? If this keeps up I may just resort to paying 15 dollars per pound to buy the damn mushrooms from the farmers market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 AM

60 posts, read 194,232 times
Well there is certainly more to the color red that attracts animals and bugs, so you might be on to something there. I can't think of why the population of a certain bug would just explode all of the sudden, so maybe you're just attracting more with that outrageous t-shirt : )

I know a lot of people are avid morel hunters and it gets pretty competitive. Is it possible that people are already out picking them before you? Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but I'd say weigh out your opportunity costs in this situation. Do you hunt to go hunting or do you hunt to get morels? Not to ruin your day even more but I chanced upon 8 morels that I wasn't even looking for! Inspiration maybe??

Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM

252 posts, read 538,060 times
I may go at it again. If I do, I'm donning the bug-skinz! Ticks suck! Also, another theory - maybe ticks just really like the Red Sox (I was wearing a David Ortiz mock-jersey t-shirt). Also, I go hunting for morels. If I could find a way to grow morels in my back yard without having to spend time out looking for them I would. If I wanted to hunt just to hunt I would just go hiking. Perhaps one day I'll buy a tract of land to hopefully eliminate some of the competition.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 AM

3,804 posts, read 5,159,061 times
The tick situation is an expanding problem all over. I never saw a wood tick until I was 21 years old and visited a lake in east central Minnesota. Now the damn things are everywhere that has tall grass and wooded cover. What happened to change this over the last 25 years or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa